Repost - Application to Test Princeton Tec Byte - DLarsen

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2010
      I forgot to add the test status page link. Sorry.

      Please accept my application to test the Princeton Tec Byte Headlamp. My test agreement was mailed 2 July 2008. I agree to comply with all the report requirements including Chapter 5 found in the BackpackGearTest. org bylaws v.0609, which I most recently read on 13 February 2009.

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 49
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT yahoo DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA
      Date: 3 October 2010

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last few years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for twelve years and I have kayak/canoe camped for five years, both in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South
      Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my seventeen year-old son.

      Field Information

      Generally, my son and I camp, hike, and kayak around Florence, South Carolina. However, I am the faculty sponsor for the Francis Marion University Camping Club, so I have stepped up the frequency of camping trips. I also belong to a group of outdoorsy folks called the Sumter Hiking, Cycling and Adventure Club. We paddle, hike, and camp at the spur of the moment. So if someone posts a trip on the website, we very often join them. We are planning a few fall camping/hiking trips with the club. We will also be backpacking in Missouri and Arkansas over the winter break.

      Test Plan:

      I switched from a non-LED headlamp to an LED one and I'm not sure that I like it. I got Lasik surgery several years ago and my night vision is terrible. So, maybe it's the brand of LED I purchased? Could a brighter one be more helpful to me?

      I will test for:

      durability – Can it take being dropped? Just how water-resistant is it? How grit resistant is it? Can it really be dunked in a lake and still work? Does the switch really work the way it is advertised? Will the elastic stretch out? when it gets wet? over time? Is the elastic comfortable?

      operation – Does the switch work easily? Can I see well in both power settings? Does the red setting really illuminate and help night vision? Will one 35 lumen LED really shine brighter than a multiple LEDs light? Will I like the narrow beam? Does the light pivot easily and hold in place?

      operation time – how long will it really last on 2 AAAs?

      Currently testing:
      Exped Dreamwalker – LTR due 11/23/10
      CamelBak Groove – FR due 11/23/10

      Apps Out:

      Previously Written Reports can be found at

      test status page can be found at: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1845.htm

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Princeton Tec for providing the Byte headlamp for testing – Dawn Larsen.