FR- Primus Eta Solo Stove- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
      Hello Carol,

      Here is my Field Report for the Primus Eta Solo Stove.

      Copy in test folder.

      http://tinyurl.com/38pgcmb

      I await your edits.

      Best

      Ralph

      Field Report

      I took the Primus Eta Solo Stove out for its first cookout to Prickly

      Bark on the Coastal Plain Trail. The campsite sits at an elevation of 80

      metres (263 ft) which is in reality a very large sand dune covered in

      Banksia trees and scrubby, prickly vegetation.

      Temperatures in the evening and morning when I was using the unit was

      around 6 C and 9 C (43 F and 48 f) respectively.

      Because I had been fiddling with all of the components of the stove by

      taking the cup off the burner unit and the heat resistant cover just to

      look at it all again, I made the mistake of putting the heat resistant

      cover on upside down.

      upside down cover

      upside down cover

      I was not aware of this when I lit up the stove to cook a carrot and

      bean combination to go with the evening meal.

      vegetables

      vegetables

      After a short time the flame went out and I couldn't work out why

      straight away. The gas bottle was full and it was not freezing so the

      gas should burn.

      Then it dawned on me. I could only see into the burner section through

      where U shape was. Hang on, that was supposed to be on the top just

      under the bracket for the suspension kit.

      The heat resistant cover was below the bracket the bracket and this

      caused the bottom section of the cover to block off the air vents apart

      from where the U shape was.

      I had starved the flame of air.

      Once I realized this I removed it completely and lit up the stove again.

      This time I got another flare out of flame through the air vents and the

      flame singed the hairs on the back of my right hand.

      bubbling away

      bubbling away

      On each and every occasion that I lit up the stove, I got a flame flare

      out apart from when I had the air vents covered by the cover.

      The stove was lit to cook and/or boil water eight times between the

      evening meal and just after breakfast when I made a pot of tea to wash

      breakfast down.

      In the morning, I did replace the heat resistant cover, the correct way

      up and noticed that it slid down over the air vents.

      I had to undo the hook and loop and pull on one edge whilst holding the

      cover near the other edge to ensure a snug wrap around the vessel so

      that it would not slip down back over the air vent.

      One thing I noticed that would be of great assistance would be to have a

      small extrusion to the lid so that I could use it as a finger grip to

      remove the cap from a very hot vessel and avoid the steam.

      I needed to remove the lid to pour the water into cups and remove cooked

      vegetables.

      When the stove is attached to the gas canister with water up to the 0.5

      L mark, it is not plum bob perpendicular. The vessel takes on a slight lean.

      The reason for this is because there is a bit of play between the

      control knob housing and the moulded bracket that holds it and the Piezo

      igniter. In addition, there is also play at the top just under the

      burner head where the stem passes through the bracket that has the two

      red buttons that release the burner unit from the vessel.

      out of kilter

      out of kilter

      As far as I can tell, this has had no negative effect on the

      performance. I just looks out of plumb.

      Another thing I need to be cognizant of is not to over fill the vessel

      with water. I filled the pot to within 20 mm (0.8 in) and when the water

      boiled vigorously, it literally spat out through the two holes in the

      lid a good 100 mm (4 in).

      As an aside. The water did boil very quickly. Within a few minutes.

      Over the long weekend in September I went on a car based camp that was

      for three days and two nights at Gelcoat within the Wellington National

      Park.

      The camp sat at an elevation of 80 metres (263 ft) and 40 metres (131

      ft) from the Collie River.

      Temperatures ranged from a high of 26 C (79 F) to an evening low when

      cooking dinner of 8 C (46 F).

      The gas canister had a mixture of 70 º Butane and 30 º Propane and was

      half full.

      Cool evening and early morning temperatures had no effect on the

      efficiency of the burner unit. It operated very well.

      One lady in the group was having a good look at the stove and pulled the

      heat resistant cover off. She then reassembled it and screwed it back

      onto the gas canister.

      What she did and I failed to notice when I went to fire it up shortly

      afterwards was that she had put the cover on upside down. This caused

      the cover to cover over the air vents of the stove.

      The lady had covered the vents completely unlike my effort earlier in

      the test.

      I couldn't work out why the flame went out straight away when I lit it.

      I tried a few times to relight the stove and my thoughts were not very

      complimentary during this process.

      I even unscrewed the gas canister off to see if I had run out of gas

      then I noticed the cover covering the air vents. The penny dropped.

      After righting the heat resistant cover and reassembling the gas

      canister to the stove, it lit up and did its job. I also righted a

      wrong. I took back what I said about the stove not working.

      I still experienced flare out of flames but not on every occasion.

      The difference between getting my hairs on my hand singed or not was

      about one and a half extra seconds of gas being released from when I

      turned the control valve on and pressing the Piezo ignition button.

      If I was not quick enough I got a flare out.

      The other issue that I have is after boiling water or cooking my eggs

      and/or vegetables, I am still getting a tickled up top part of my thumb

      and middle finger when I squeeze the red buttons in to release the pot

      from the stove. The skin on my digits are touching the underside of the

      metal ring immediately above the red buttons.

      If I try and squeeze the red buttons in with my digits further down and

      away from the metal, I find it very difficult to press the buttons in to

      release the stove from the pot because I am closer to the pivot point.

      What did I Cook?

      On this trip I cooked chopped up vegetables for both of my evening

      meals. It was a simple process of bringing the water to the boil with

      the vegetables, let them simmer for about a minute and then turn the

      stove off letting the vegetables cook "Dutch Oven" style.

      This method entails putting the lid on the vessel and blocking the holes

      on the lid to keep the steam in.

      Whilst the vegetables were cooking by the "Dutch Oven" method I was then

      able then to attend to the other components of my meals.

      vegetables

      vegetables

      For breakfast on the first morning I poached an egg.

      It was not a total success because the action of the boiling water sunk

      my poached egg boat. The egg did cook whilst submerged. I just had a bit

      of trouble fishing it out of the bottom of the pot then draining the

      water off it.

      The photo below shows the egg just moments before it sank.

      poached egg

      poached egg

      The following morning I did a boiled egg to have as my morning tea on

      the planned day walk.

      Again I brought the water to a rolling boil with the egg in the bottom

      of the vessel. Very quickly upon reaching the rolling boil I turned the

      heat off for three reasons:

      1) I did not want the egg shell getting cracked from the rolling boil

      action of the water.

      2) To complete the cooking action by the "Dutch Oven" method.

      3) To conserve my gas.

      The boiled egg turned out, to use an Italian expression, "Perfecto".

      Slightly soft in the yoke.

      The photo below shows the stove heating up the vegetables on the first

      night.

      heating up

      the vegetables

      heating up the vegetables

      The petrochemical smell emanating from the lid appears to have gone. I

      cannot smell it anymore.

      Things I like

      Unchanged

      Things I dislike

      * Burnt fingers when pressing in the red buttons to remove the pot

      from the stove.

      * Singed hairs on my hand when there is a flare out when igniting

      the stove.

      This completes my Field Report. See my Long Term Report in two months time.

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2010
        Hi Ralph,
        HTML looks good except:
        Field Report:3rdOctober, 2010
        *** Missing a couple of spaces ***
        Carol, Monitor

        around 6 C and 9 C (43 F and 48 f) respectively.
        *** 48 F ***

        I could only see into the burner section through where U shape was.
        *** where the U shape was ?? ***

        The heat resistant cover was below the bracket the bracket and this

        *** was below the bracket and this ***

        I filled the pot to within 20 mm (0.8 in) and when the water
        *** within 20 mm (0.8 in) of the top ?? ***
      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2010
          Thank you Carol.

          Apologies for the silly errors.