Repost: FR - ULA CDT PACK - Carol

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010
      I forgot to remove the IR the first time. Below is the repost.
      HTML here:
      http://snipurl.com/18ooe4

      I'll be OOP through the 11th.
      Carol

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      June 21-23, <b>Chevelon Lake</b> near Payson, AZ
      This was a base camp trip with the base just a 30 minute hike from the car. Elevation was about 6000 ft (1830 m).
      Sunny with a high of 100 F (38 C) the first day and a low of 45 F (7 C). The tent site was dirt packed a few inches/centimeters deep on top of a rock slab.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Front view.">>

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I took one, 3-day trip during the Field Test phase. I loaded the CDT pack for three days, strapped a small packraft on top and lightweight paddles to one side. The hike in to my base camp next to a lake was only about 30 minutes on a rough, rocky trail. Upon arriving at the lake I put down the CDT and somehow managed to step on the buckle. The buckle is less robust than ones I've seen on other packs and it cracked in two. I added some duct tape and it held together fine a few days later on the hike out. I did not attempt to get the buckle repaired after returning home. A buckle is not designed to withstand someone stepping on it, but it happens. Thinking back I can remember at least two other times I stepped on pack hip belt buckles without damaging them. I'll use the CDT with my duct tape field repair on an upcoming four-day backpack trip to simulate cracking the buckle in the middle of a trip where there isn't the opportunity for a manufacturer repair. Once I return, I'll contact ULA about a possible repair.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Paddle in pocket.">>On the short hike in, the pack rode well carrying 24 lbs (11 kg) (14 lbs/6 kg of baseweight plus food, water, boat and paddle gear). A thin foam pad (included with the pack) along the back panel helped transfer a little weight to my hips. I had an air mattress but did not try to configure that to provide rigidity to the pack. The top strap held the packraft on top of the pack. The 3-piece paddle fit in a side pocket held in place by the hook and loop straps at the top and the side compression strap in the middle.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Back view.">>I packed my valuables in the removable internal mesh pocket and a hard cover book in the removable hydration pocket.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Water bottle in pocket.">>I had some concerns about the security of the side pockets during my initial inspection of the pack since they have a steep slant. I had a 1 quart (1 L) Nalgene soft sided water bottle in a side pocket and it fell out when I leaned over to gather some wood. I'll be using a Platypus bladder on my next trip and will see if that stays in the pocket. The water bottle also interfered with my arm swing lightly. I've had this experience before with a new pack and then found that I quickly adjust and don't notice the water bottle after a few miles. I'll report back on my experience with the CDT after I get a few more miles in with it.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Water bottle falling out.">>

      SUMMARY

      The CDT is a good sized pack for a short, lightweight trip or longer ultralight trip.

      <b>What I like so far:</b>
      - Light weight for the volume.
      - Enough capacity for a three-day lightweight trip.
      - Has several options to secure extra gear to the outside of the pack.
      - Has removable options to hold gear inside the pack.

      <b>What I don't like so far:</b>
      - Hip belt buckle cracked when I stepped on it.
      - Water bottle fell out of side pocket when I leaned over.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "Belt pocket.">>

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Mark McLauchlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2010
        Hi Carol,

        No edits for you, great report, please upload at your will.

        I would be interested to know what packraft you are using.

        Cheers

        Mark

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2010
          Hi Mark,
          The packraft for that trip was the Alpacka Scout.
          Carol