FR - ULA CDT PACK - Carol

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2010
      FR below.
      HTML here: http://snipurl.com/18ooe4
      I'll be OOP through the 11th. I'll make any needed edits when I get back.
      Carol

      ULA CDT PACK
      TEST SERIES BY CAROL CROOKER
      FR
      October 02, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Carol Crooker
      EMAIL: cmcrooker AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: Phoenix, AZ
      GENDER: f
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)

      For the past 10 years, I've backpacked about 30 days each year, usually in Arizona and the western mountains on trips that last 3 to 6 days. Weather has varied from 107 F to a low of 0 F (42 to -18 C). My three-season base pack weight varies from about 8 to 12 pounds (4 - 5 kg) and my winter base pack weight is about 18 pounds (8 kg). I normally use a tarp for shelter. I also packraft (backpacking that includes travel by raft) and apply the same lightweight principles I use backpacking.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Manufacturer photo">>Manufacturer: ULA
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ula-equipment.com">>
      MSRP: US$115

      <b>Listed Weight:</b>
      17 oz (482 g) for size medium with medium waist belt and excluding removable components
      Removable components:
      Hydration sleeve: 1.4 oz (40 g)
      Internal mesh pocket: 1.1 oz (31 g)
      Water bottle holsters: 0.8 oz (23 g)
      Hand loops: 0.8 oz (23 g)

      <b>Measured Weight:</b>
      19.4 oz (550 g) for size large with large hipbelt and excluding removable components
      24.4 oz (692 g) for size large with large hipbelt and ALL components
      Removable components:
      Hydration sleeve: 1.2 oz (34 g)
      Internal mesh pocket: 1.0 oz (28 g)
      Water bottle holsters: 0.7 oz (20 g)
      Hand loops: 0.7 oz (20 g)
      Internal back pad: 1.2 oz (34 g)

      Note: Rounding accounts for the difference between the sum of the removable component weights (4.8 oz) and the total when all are weighed as a group (5.0 oz).

      <b>Volume breakdown:</b>
      Total Volume: 3610 in^3 (59.2 L)
      Main body: 2100 in^3 (34.4 L)
      Front mesh pocket: 450 in^3 (7.4 L)
      Side mesh pocket: 350 in^3 each (5.7 L)
      Extension collar: 300 in^3 (4.9 L)
      Hipbelt pockets: 30 in^3 each (0.5 L)

      <b>Features:</b> Internal pad holster, contoured padded hipbelt, hipbelt pockets, contoured shoulder straps, front mesh pocket, adjustable/bellowed side pockets, ice axe/pole retention loops, side/top compression straps, drawstring collar, and Dyneema Gridstop fabric.

      <b>Recommendations:</b>
      Maximum load: 25 lb (11.3 kg)
      Base weight: 12 lb (5.4 kg) or less

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Upon initial inspection the ULA CDT pack is constructed of quality materials put together with careful attention to detail. Although this is a frameless pack, it is not merely a pack bag with shoulder straps and a hipbelt. It is obvious a lot of thought has gone into the design including several removable components so users can strip the pack for lightest weight or add options that fit their hiking style.

      The ULA CDT pack appeared as I expected from the website photos and descriptions with one exception: There was a thin foam pad inside the pack along the back panel. The pad was held in place by the two pieces of elastic designed to hold a sleeping pad in place. Although this pad is not mentioned on the website, it is explained on the two pages of instructions included with the pack. It is intended to provide cushioning along the back of the pack. It is not meant to provide the rigid support a sleeping pad will provide.

      I've listed the pack features above and these are well described by the photos on the ULA website. I will comment on some features that stood out for me.

      - The hipbelt tightens by pulling the strap ends towards the center rather than to the sides. I find it much easier to tighten this type of hipbelt so this is a big plus for me.

      - The hipbelt pulls through the side pockets which, on an empty pack markedly reduces the volume of the pockets when it is tightened. Testing will reveal whether this is also true for a full pack.

      - The front mesh pocket is very stretchy with a much finer mesh than I've seen on other packs I've used.

      - The hipbelt pockets are shorter than on other packs I've used. However, they are deep and easily hold my digital camera. It'll be interesting to see what they can hold as I test the pack in the field.

      - I like that the sternum strap slides up and down without needing to unthread it to adjust its height.

      Overall, a very positive first impression. It'll be fun to get this pack into the field.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Two sheets of instructions are included with the pack. The instructions include a maximum pack weight recommendation, tips on use, loading and donning/doffing the pack. There is also information on how the removable components are intended to be used. Everything is clearly written and easy to understand.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I left for a three-day trip as soon as the CDT pack arrived. Trying it out consisted of quickly loading it with a typical lightweight three-day load of food and gear plus a few extra luxuries (two books, a graphing calculator, and more than the usual complement of cooking pots) and an ultralight packraft, paddle and PFD (personal floatation device).

      Total starting pack weight was nearly 24 lb (10.9 kg) which is just under the maximum recommended load. Everything fit inside the pack with the collar fully extended except the packraft and paddle. The packraft fit securely under the top compression strap and the three pieces of the paddle fit in a side pocket held in place by the side compression strap.

      The pack is the right size for me. I ordered a medium/large pack even though my torso length (19 in, 48 cm) falls within the size range of the small/medium pack. I asked for a large hipbelt since my circumference at the hip bone level is about 37 inches (94 cm) and the large belt is for 33 inches (84 cm) or greater. There is a lot of excess strap when I cinched the hipbelt and about 3 inches (7.6 cm) of room to further tighten the straps. The pack felt fine on my back for the short trip to the car. My Field Report will include more details.

      SUMMARY

      The CDT a nice looking pack with what appear to be useful features. I like the permanent features of a front pocket and hip belt pockets. My only concern at this point is whether a water bottle will stay put in the side pocket.

      Check back in two months for my Field Report.

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      June 21-23, <b>Chevelon Lake</b> near Payson, AZ
      This was a base camp trip with the base just a 30 minute hike from the car. Elevation was about 6000 ft (1830 m).
      Sunny with a high of 100 F (38 C) the first day and a low of 45 F (7 C). The tent site was dirt packed a few inches/centimeters deep on top of a rock slab.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Front view.">>

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I took one, 3-day trip during the Field Test phase. I loaded the CDT pack for three days, strapped a small packraft on top and lightweight paddles to one side. The hike in to my base camp next to a lake was only about 30 minutes on a rough, rocky trail. Upon arriving at the lake I put down the CDT and somehow managed to step on the buckle. The buckle is less robust than ones I've seen on other packs and it cracked in two. I added some duct tape and it held together fine a few days later on the hike out. I did not attempt to get the buckle repaired after returning home. A buckle is not designed to withstand someone stepping on it, but it happens. Thinking back I can remember at least two other times I stepped on pack hip belt buckles without damaging them. I'll use the CDT with my duct tape field repair on an upcoming four-day backpack trip to simulate cracking the buckle in the middle of a trip where there isn't the opportunity for a manufacturer repair. Once I return, I'll contact ULA about a possible repair.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Paddle in pocket.">>On the short hike in, the pack rode well carrying 24 lbs (11 kg) (14 lbs/6 kg of baseweight plus food, water, boat and paddle gear). A thin foam pad (included with the pack) along the back panel helped transfer a little weight to my hips. I had an air mattress but did not try to configure that to provide rigidity to the pack. The top strap held the packraft on top of the pack. The 3-piece paddle fit in a side pocket held in place by the hook and loop straps at the top and the side compression strap in the middle.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Back view.">>I packed my valuables in the removable internal mesh pocket and a hard cover book in the removable hydration pocket.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Water bottle in pocket.">>I had some concerns about the security of the side pockets during my initial inspection of the pack since they have a steep slant. I had a 1 quart (1 L) Nalgene soft sided water bottle in a side pocket and it fell out when I leaned over to gather some wood. I'll be using a Platypus bladder on my next trip and will see if that stays in the pocket. The water bottle also interfered with my arm swing lightly. I've had this experience before with a new pack and then found that I quickly adjust and don't notice the water bottle after a few miles. I'll report back on my experience with the CDT after I get a few more miles in with it.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Water bottle falling out.">>

      SUMMARY

      The CDT is a good sized pack for a short, lightweight trip or longer ultralight trip.

      <b>What I like so far:</b>
      - Light weight for the volume.
      - Enough capacity for a three-day lightweight trip.
      - Has several options to secure extra gear to the outside of the pack.
      - Has removable options to hold gear inside the pack.

      <b>What I don't like so far:</b>
      - Hip belt buckle cracked when I stepped on it.
      - Water bottle fell out of side pocket when I leaned over.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "Belt pocket.">>

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.