Application - Tecnica Cyclone - Andrea Murland

  • ringrat55
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010
      APPLICATION – Tecnica Cyclone Mid GTX Boots
      Andrea Murland
      October 1, 2010

      Please accept my application to test the Tecnica Cyclone Mid GTX Boots. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement was mailed on Aug. 31, 2009. As a Canadian tester I accept any need to pay for shipping.

      Name: Andrea Murland
      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
      Age: 25
      Location: Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
      Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)
      Shoe Size: 6-6.5 (for this test with winter socks: 6.5)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don't have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don't consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Test Plan:
      I moved to a new area recently, so I'm surrounded by new mountains to explore. I'm going to be spending a lot of time hiking and snowshoeing during the test period. I've been told that the temperatures are often down around -30 C (-22 F) in the winter, but up to 20 C (68 F) in the fall, with lots of snow in the winter. If the weather so far this fall is any indication, there'll be lots of rain until the snow flies (flies again, I should say, since we've already had some). I'll be able to test the waterproofness of these boots in both rain and snow. Once I'm wearing heavy socks to try and stay warm, the breathability of the boots will also be key – wet feet from the inside is just as deadly as from the outside. Traction on wet rock, muddy trail, and snow & ice will also be important. I usually wear a mid-height boot.

      Previously Written Reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Ringrat

      Currently Testing:
      CamelBak Antidote Hydration Reservoir (waiting for arrival)
      OR Radiant LT Zip Top (waiting for arrival)

      Outstanding Applications:
      None

      Other Roles:
      Test Call Manager