IR Darn Tough Poppy Gall sock - Jen P

  • Jennifer Pope
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      Here's my IR, on time and everything.

      Darn Tough Vermont Hike/Trek Poppy Gall Socks
      Test Report
      Last Updated: September 30, 2010
      Biographical Information
      Product Information
      Initial Report - September 30, 2010
      Field Report - coming soon
      Long Term Report - coming soon Summary

      Biographical Information
      Name Jennifer Pope
      Age 29
      Gender Female
      Height 5 ft 7 in (1.7 m)
      Weight 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email Address Jennifer.Pope@...
      Location Connecticut
      Backpacking Background
      Intermediate. I've been a car-camper as long as I can remember and
      started backpacking in Northern California over a decade ago. I'm
      again taking a break from backpacking to hike and car camp with my two
      young daughters and my husband. We tend to take our time hiking
      shorter distances and my younger daughter rides on my back. We live on
      the Connecticut coast and hike around New England.

      Product Information (back to top)
      Manufacturer Darn Tough Vermont
      Manufacturer URL http://www.darntough.com/
      Year of Manufacture 2010
      Size Medium
      Style Poppy Gall
      Color Denim (blue), also available in Daybreak (red/purple), Seaweed
      (green), & Willow (green/orange)
      Claimed Weight not listed
      Actual Weight 2.2 oz (62 g)
      MSRP $17.00

      Initial Report
      September 30, 2010

      Initial Impressions & Product Description (back to top)

      Thick wool socks, pretty much as expected.

      This is a low-rise sock that just barely covers my ankle. The fit is
      snug around the arch of my foot but loose around my toes (but not too
      loose). The seams feel smooth and do not rub against my foot. There is
      actually only one visible seam that runs across the top of my toes.
      It's very smooth and hardly noticeable. There is added cushion on the
      bottom of my foot which is noticeable (and comfortable). The socks are
      soft to the touch and do not feel itchy at all. As a newbie knitter, I
      can say that the socks have VERY small stitches making the fabric very

      The socks are made in the USA (Vermont) which is becoming more and
      more rare these days. The packaging is also 100% plastic-free; the
      cardboard surround is made of recycled paper and is printed with
      vegetable based inks. These details are important to me as an outdoor
      enthusiast and it's clear that Darn Tough values American-made
      products and protecting the environment.

      These socks are to be machine washed on the gentle cycle, inside-out
      and dried on the low dryer setting. I can guarantee that they will
      probably only ever see the regular wash setting (though I have a
      front-loading machine, so it's a bit gentler by nature). They may
      occasionally be washed inside-out, but not exclusively. And they will
      likely always be air dried or dried on the regular dryer setting.

      I decided to take these socks back to their homeland for a quick jaunt
      around Vermont, where they were made. I found them to be comfortable
      and on the warm side on a comfortable night (this is coming from
      someone who rarely wears socks during the summer). I found the fit to
      be comfortable and roomy.

      Darn Tough socks have an unlimited lifetime, no questions asked
      guarantee. Clearly they stand behind their product.

      Summary (back to top)

      Comfortable. Cozy. Cushion-y. American made.

      Thank you to Darn Tough Vermont and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing
      me to test this item.