IR- Darn Tough Vermont Poppy Gall Socks- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      I've posted my IR for the DTV socks.  Here's the text and link.

      Thanks in advance for the edits!

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-DTV%20Poppy%20Gall%20Socks-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      DARN TOUGH VERMONT POPPY GALL SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      September 30, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local
      canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe
      voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in
      Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia,
      Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in
      California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight
      load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Annie Lt Denim"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy
      of Darn Tough Vermont">>Manufacturer: Darn Tough Vermont
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.darntough.com" LINK
      TEXT = "http://www.darntough.com">>
      MSRP: $17 US
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Measured Weight: 2.2 oz (62 g)
      Style/Color Tested: Annie Lt. Denim/ Blue
      Size Tested: Women's Medium
      Made in the U.S.A. (Vermont)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "In Package">>Darn Tough Vermont has teamed up
      with Poppy Gall,ISIS co-founder and owner/creative director of Poppy Gall Design
      Studio, to come up with some innovative and refreshing sock designs for Spring
      2011.  These particular socks are described for hiking and trekking and are 1/4
      height which is slightly above a mid-height boot.  They are made from Merino
      wool which is supposed to be highly breathable, itch-free and naturally
      antimicrobial.  Four-ply nylon reinforces the heel, toe and foot bottom.  The
      middle of the foot has a tighter stretchy fit to keep it from slipping and
      bunching.
      The press information talks about Darn Tough Vermont recently obtaining some new
      generation knitting machines which allow them to produce very densely knit, thin
      socks with seams that can barely be detected.  On this pair, the toe seam is
      quite tight as seen from the outside.  On the inside there is just a fine line
      of heavy thread.  The idea is make a very comfortable sock which doesn't cause
      any blisters and has great fit and durability.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "toe
      seam">>
      They come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee that their socks are the most
      comfortable and durable socks ever owned.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Care instructions:
      Machine wash in warm water on gentle cycle with socks inside-out.  Do not
      bleach.  Tumble dry low.  Do not dry clean.
      I've noticed other socks that say to wash inside-out and am not sure why.  My
      socks always seem to be filthy on the outside and so I don't wash them
      inside-out, but I'll try it with these.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING THEM OUT

      My initial impression was that the socks look really sturdy, thick and slightly
      larger than my other Women's medium socks.  I like the color (blue is my
      favorite) and the style is very cool without being too outrageous for me.  They
      are much more stylish than any of my other hiking socks.
      I noticed that the packaging is pretty simple; just folded paperboard without
      any plastic tags or plastic stems.  I'm also impressed with any clothing item
      (or anything else for that matter) that is still made in the U.S.A.  I know how
      difficult it is to compete in the world market with U.S. labor costs and
      appreciate any company that makes the commitment to produce here.
      When I first slipped my feet into the socks I immediately noticed how
      comfortable and cozy they are.  They do seem bigger than my other socks that are
      the same size, but I can't say that they are too big.  They just fit
      differently.  My typical socks have to stretch slightly to match my foot.  With
      these socks they are not stretched at all and have just a slight amount of space
      left.
      I wore them on a hike with my mid-height light hiking boots.  We scrambled up a
      faint trail that really was more of an animal path along a creek and fished
      every good pool along the way.  The brush was very thick in places and many
      trees were down in the way of making much progress.  The socks didn't feel too
      big or slip around in my boots at all.

      SUMMARY

      The Darn Tough Vermont Poppy Gall socks are a high quality and fashionable pair
      of hiking socks.
      Likes so far:
      Good cushion on bottom
      Thinner on top
      Stylish
      Dislikes so far:
      None
      This concludes my Initial Report.  Check back in two months for my Field
      Report.  Thanks to Darn Tough Vermont and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me
      to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.