LTR - Tarptent Sublite Sil - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2010
      Hi Jerry,

      Here is my LTR for the Sublite. The HTML may be found here:

      http://tinyurl.com/2bnqq9w

      Thanks,

      Ray

      LONG-TERM REPORT
      Field Data

      I used the Sublite Sil two nights on a 34 mi (55 km) backpacking trip in Yosemite National Park. Both nights were spent right around 6800 ft (2073 m) elevation and both sites were near flowing creeks. The low temperature was 36 F (2 C). A picture of it in Yosemite is below.

      Observations

      After getting out a lot with the Sil during the Field Report phase, I only was able to take it for two more nights during the last phase. But those two nights just helped nail the Sil down as a tent I am hanging on to.

      I love this tent. I have never used any tent, even from Henry Shire's Tarptent that was as strong as this one, as small packing as this one, or had as good of a ventilation scheme.

      Two months ago I told my brother-in-law (who has been with me on some of my trips with the Sil and likes what he saw) that I would give him it after the testing was over to replace his Tarptent Contrail. But a few things made me turn Indian Giver on him.

      First and foremost was the small packed size. I tested a Black Diamond Octane day-pack for BackpackGearTest.org (see reports) that was really too big for my day-hike loads. So I started using it as a two and three day backpacking pack instead. The Sublite Sil allowed me to make it work well for this use. With no poles to carry, and find room for in my pack, I was able to smush the Sil down over my down quilt leaving plenty of room for the rest of my gear.

      Next is the weight. Nope, I don't count weight as important as volume any longer. I can carry much more weight than I need to. But keeping a tight, small load close to my center of gravity is more important when I am scrambling, or on tricky trails, or snow laden passes. But I love the miniscule hit I am taking in the weight department for as much shelter as I get for it.

      Last is condensation control. I have used a lot of single-wall and hybrid style tents that suc… were very disappointing to me when it started getting wet inside the tent. The Sil is the second best of all my single-wall/hybrid tents at allowing air movement, the best way I know of to lessen condensation. (Well except camping in Death Valley in July…) The high/low venting works very good, something I wish all tent makers would take notice of.

      Other pluses are the strength of the design. While I have not had any more experiences like the one in Itasca, I did have the Sil in the wind one night high in Yosemite and it was solid. Another positive is the room provided for the weight. While I like to bring all my gear inside, the Sil's vestibule let me have what did not fit inside with me close at hand.

      It definitely attracts attention too. If I am near others they will come ask me what it is. I had a family pass by my camp in Yosemite that stopped to talk and the Sil was number one question. What is that?

      So a huge thank you to Henry Shires and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test this killer little solo tent.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2010

        The only thing I noticed was that the picture was smushed in the horizontal direction

        It looks like a tent for short people

        Maybe you can expand the picture in the horizontal to make it look more realistic.

        Then upload and delete ...