IR-CamelBak Antidote Reservoir-Chad Fike

  • cfike72
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2010
      Here's my Initial Report for the CamelBak Antidote Reservoir. It also includes info about the UnBottle that came with the reservoir. Posted to the test folder here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-%20CamelBak%20Antidote%20reservoir-Chad%20Fike/

      CAMELBAK ANTIDOTE RESERVOIR
      TEST SERIES BY CHAD EMERSON FIKE <<IMAGE 1>>
      IR
      September 14, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Emerson Fike
      EMAIL: chadfike"at"hotmail"dot"com
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Oakland, Maryland USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I have gone camping, usually very close to home, since my teens but only started seriously backpacking around age 30. I do mostly weekend trips and often take dayhikes. My backpacking experience has been mostly in West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia, including parts of the Appalachian Trail. Each trip has been a learning experience about techniques and equipment. I try to balance weight, durability, and cost with my gear choices.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "ANTIDOTE">>
      Manufacturer: CamelBak
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.camelbak.com/" LINK TEXT = "www.camelbak.com">>
      Antidote MSRP: $35.00 US
      UnBottle MSRP: Not Provided
      Listed Weight: Not Provided
      Measured Weight (UnBottle): 5.5 oz (156 g)
      Measured Weight (Antidote Reservoir): 7.1 oz (201 g)
      UnBottle Color: Frost Gray/Turkish Sea
      Capacity: 100 oz. (3 L)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION & INITIAL IMPRESSION

      The CamelBak Antidote reservoir arrived inside an UnBottle reservoir holder. At the time of this initial report, the Antidote does not yet appear for sale on the CamelBak website, while the UnBottle appears to be an updated version of the product currently shown. A small hangtag attached to the UnBottle indicates it is a "CamelBak Salesman Sample" that is "Assembled in Mexico of US and Imported Components". No information was included about the Antidote. The CamelBak website features an August 3, 2010 press release that provides some information about the Antidote and claims the following: "With Antidote, CamelBak redesigned and reinvented every key performance feature of the reservoir".

      The Antidote reservoir has a rubbery feel and features "a radio frequency welded seal for durability and strength". The reservoir measures 17.5 inches long by 8 inches wide (44.5 by 20 cm) when empty and flat. The reservoir is stamped "HydroGuard" and the website reveals that this feature "inhibits the growth of bacteria that can cause odors, discoloration or deterioration of the reservoir and tube surface" but "does not protect user against disease-causing organisms". <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "QUICK LINK">>The exterior of the Antidote is stamped with 16 ounce and .5 Liter increments to aid in filling. Inside the reservoir, a baffle measuring about 5 inches long by 1.5 inches wide (12.7 by 3.8 cm) connects the front and back of the reservoir. CamelBak claims the baffle is intended to provide "a flatter and more streamlined shape when full; the baffle also minimizes sloshing and barreling when the reservoir is in the pack."

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "BITE VALVE">>The Antidote drink tube measures about 40 inches (101.5 cm) long. The tube connects to the reservoir itself using a push button Quick Link System. The opposite end of the drink tube features a "Big Bite Valve with new Ergo HydroLock. The patented and proven Big Bite Valve has a high flow rate for easy sipping on the move".

      The Antidote fill port has a diameter of about 3.5 inches (9 cm). A quarter turn of the cap is all that is required for opening and closing. The cap itself is marked with a small arrow while the fill port is marked with indicators to show where to start and stop the quarter turn. Once removed, the cap remains connected to the fill port by a short retainer. The top of the fill port has a built-in hook for hanging. Along each side of the fill port is a dryer arm that can be rotated for drying.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "UNBOTTLE TOP ACCESS">> The Antidote drink tube measures about 40 inches (101.5 cm) long. The tube connects to the reservoir itself using a push button quick link system. The opposite end of the drink tube features a <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "UNBOTTLE BOTTOM ACCESS">>"Big Bite Valve with new Ergo HydroLock. The patented and proven Big Bite Valve has a high flow rate for easy sipping on the move".

      The UnBottle reservoir holder appears to be constructed of nylon and has a thick padded feel. Four clips attached to short pieces of webbing along the sides and webbing with a quick release buckle at the top provide options for hanging or attaching the product to other packs. Zippered access can be found along the top of the back of the UnBottle. A small port is provided for the drink tube to exit at the top of the product while a small drain hole is found at the bottom. The bottom front of the UnBottle features a zippered compartment. I assume this is for access to the quick link system. The front of the UnBottle has a round opening that corresponds to the fill port of the Antidote. The UnBottle has a couple of short loose threads but otherwise the stitching seems well done. All of the zippers and buckles seem to function properly.

      TRYING IT OUT

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 8" IMAGE CAPTION = "FILL PORT">>The redesigned fill port is easy to use. There is no second guessing about whether the cap is closed tight enough since it locks securely in place after one quarter turn. The start and stop indicator marks on the fill port provide an easy reference for lining up the cap for closing. Even though it is not marked as such, the cap will also close with a quarter turn if the arrow on the cap is started at the twelve, three, or 6 o'clock position.

      After filling the Antidote with water, I did not find any leaks. I squeezed the reservoir with my hands several times to apply some pressure but still found no leaks. The interior baffle does changes the shape of the reservoir by limiting the amount that the center of the reservoir can expand.

      The Quick Link System works very smoothly. The drink tube can be removed with a gentle amount of pressure to the yellow release button. Likewise, only a moderate amount of pressure was required to snap the tube back into place. When I removed the drink tube a few drops of water dripped out. A vacuum effect held the rest of the water in the tube until I squeezed the bite valve and drained the tube. No water leaked from the reservoir part of the Quick Link attachment. The yellow Ergo HydroLock open and shut easily with my thumb and plenty of water flows through the Big Bite Valve.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7">>The dryer arms are a helpful feature of the Antidote. The arms fit flush against the sides of the fill port and are not very noticeable until extended. When rotated downward they pinch the sides of the reservoir to keep it open for better air drying. The picture shows how the empty reservoir stays expanded when the arms are extended. I first had to reach inside the Antidote to push open the reservoir, but the dryer arms then kept the interior open. The fill port was wide enough that I was able to reach all the way inside the Antidote.

      The Antidote slides easily inside of the UnBottle via the top zippered access. The Antidote fill port fits very snugly inside the round hole in the UnBottle and it takes some effort to get a proper fit.

      SUMMARY

      The CamelBak UnBottle and Antidote both seem to be of high quality construction. The features and functions of both items seem to work flawlessly. The Antidote in particular seems to have several well thought out features and improvements.

      This concludes my Initial Report on the CamelBak Antidote and UnBottle. The Field Report will be amended onto this report in around two month's time and will include field testing data. Please check back then for further information.

      Thanks to CamelBak and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2010
        Hi Chad,

        Thanks again for keeping me on top of your IR. Here's the edits you were waiting for. Pics look good and the mfg link worked fine. Edits are listed below marked with ## below a snip of your words.

        Safe hiking,
        Jamie D
        Monitor – CamelBak Antidote Monitor

        (you) - The Antidote drink tube measures about 40 inches (101.5 cm) long.

        ##Edit – The paragraph that starts with this sentence appears twice, please remove one.

        (you) - UNBOTTLE BOTTOM ACCESS

        ## Edit – please make a note somewhere by the UnBottle info. that we are not officially testing the UnBottle, only the reservoir. Even though I'm sure you will using the UnBottle and making comments about it.

        (you) - The interior baffle does changes the shape of the reservoir by limiting the amount that the center of the reservoir can expand.

        ##Edit – "change"
      • cfike72
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2010
          Jamie, I have corrected the edits. In regards to the UnBottle, I added the second sentence in the paragraph below. Is that sufficient for clarification? Thanks-Chad Fike

          The CamelBak Antidote reservoir arrived inside an UnBottle reservoir holder. Officially this test only pertains to the Antidote reservoir but I will be providing some supplemental information and comments about the UnBottle. At the time of this initial report, the Antidote does not yet appear for sale on the CamelBak website, while the UnBottle appears to be an updated version of the product currently shown. A small hangtag attached to the UnBottle indicates it is a "CamelBak Salesman Sample" that is "Assembled in Mexico of US and Imported Components". No information was included about the Antidote. The CamelBak website features an August 3, 2010 press release that provides some information about the Antidote and claims the following: "With Antidote, CamelBak redesigned and reinvented every key performance feature of the reservoir".

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chad,
          >
          > Thanks again for keeping me on top of your IR. Here's the edits you were waiting for. Pics look good and the mfg link worked fine. Edits are listed below marked with ## below a snip of your words.
          >
          > Safe hiking,
          > Jamie D
          > Monitor – CamelBak Antidote Monitor
          >

          > (you) - The Antidote drink tube measures about 40 inches (101.5 cm) long.
          >
          > ##Edit – The paragraph that starts with this sentence appears twice, please remove one.
          >
          > (you) - UNBOTTLE BOTTOM ACCESS
          >
          > ## Edit – please make a note somewhere by the UnBottle info. that we are not officially testing the UnBottle, only the reservoir. Even though I'm sure you will using the UnBottle and making comments about it.
          >
          > (you) - The interior baffle does changes the shape of the reservoir by limiting the amount that the center of the reservoir can expand.
          >
          > ##Edit – "change"

        • Jamie D.
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
            Looks great Chad. Thanks.