Application - Primus ETA PackLite Stove

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hi Curt, thanks in advance for considering my application. As always, I am happy to pay cross shipping if required.
      Thanks! Jamie

      Please accept my application to test the Primus ETA PackLite Stove. I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Tester Info:
      Name: Jamie Lawrence
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 170 cm (5' 7")
      Weight: 70 kg (154 lbs)
      Email address: jlawrence286 (at) gmail (dot) com
      City, State, Country: Hobart, Tasmania AUSTRALIA

      Backpacking Background:
      I've been an active bushwalker for many years and active gear tester since 2007. I am trying to shed pack weight for no other reason but to allow me to take more gourmet food and enjoy the wilderness with a good glass of wine! Generally I walk in winter, above the snowline for 3-5 day trips but walk all year round in backcountry locations.

      Field Locations:
      Being based in the southern hemisphere, I am now moving into my spring and summer. This means temps are starting to warm up to around 14 C (57 F) during the day but still quite cool (4-8 C/39-46 F) at night. September and October are dominated by rain with 168 mm (6.6 in) falling just in the last couple of weeks.

      Initially my testing would be based on day walks in the parks close to my home, such as Mt Wellington park which is a mix of sub-alpine forest to exposed rocky alpine plateau, currently getting snow on a weekly basis. I enjoy a hot drink and lunch on a good day walk. As the weather improves I would look to then head out for longer periods. I have roughly pencilled in a 4 night walk in remote SW Tasmania in late October where we will traverse a mountain range. I also have a weekend camping trip in November planned at a coastal location. I would look to take the ETA on all of these outings.

      Testing Plan:
      I consider myself a bit of a backcountry gourmet and as such take a tremendous amount of pride in what I can prepare away from home with the limitations of my pack. I prepare meals ranging from simple rehydration jobs to full blown fresh ingredient stir fry and curries to name a few.

      I have also been a bit of a convert to gas stoves of late, having spent many years using alcohol and white spirit stoves. I currently own 2 gas stoves.

      The ETA intrigues me, in particular the design of having the canister isolated from the burner. In my experience I have notices that a certain amount of radiant heat is required to keep the gas at its optimal mix inside the canister. In a previous test I noticed that the claimed boil time (in this case a very speedy 2.5 minutes) dramatically reduced as the canister temp dropped. I wonder if the ETA will suffer from this same problem. Beyond this I would be keen to test just how adventurous I can be in preparing a wide range of meals or given the high heat output of this stove, am I limited to simple boil type meals or can I simmer gently With a 1.2 L pot, can I actually prepare a meal big enough for a party of 2-3 people or is this stove ideally suited to 1-2 as suggested. Obviously I would test the basics like set-up, general ability to cope with being a primary stove in the wilderness and the quality of construction.

      Current Tests:
      I have just completed my LTR of the Kelty Lakota pack. I am in the FR stage for the Outdoor Research SoDo shirt and Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather. In a nutshell, 2 pretty simple items.

      I have no other pending applications.

      I have recently submitted an app for the BD ergo trekking poles

      Other BGT Roles:
      Test Monitor & Mentor

      Previous Reviews:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sportjamos