Application - Black Diamond Ergo Cork Poles - Mike Williams

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Please accept my application to test the Black Diamond Ergo Cork Trekking Poles. I have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest bylaws, v. 0609 including Chapters 4, 5 and 6. I have been notified that my tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Mike Williams
      Email: mlebwillATyahooDOTcom
      Age: 36
      Location: Milliken, Colorado, United States
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

      Backpacking Background:

      I was introduced to backpacking as a teenager through scouts in Colorado Springs, Colorado and fell in love with it. I continued to actively backpack through college and took a break to start a career and family. A few years ago we decided as a family to become very active in hiking, backpacking and camping. Currently my wife, son (8 yrs) and I hike and backpack extensively in Colorado and South Dakota as a family. We continually look for the right balance of lightweight, durable, comfortable and safe gear for our family to enhance our outdoor experiences.

      Test Plan:

      I would very much like the opportunity to test the Black Diamond Ergo Trekking Poles. During the test I would focus on the comfort and stability of the poles with particular attention to the FlickLock adjustability. There is a high probability that these poles will be used in cold and freezing conditions (snowshoeing trips) where standard twist lock poles have failed in the past and I'm interested to see how these perform. Additionally, I would plan to use the poles in the set up of a tent which would give me the opportunity to see how functional these poles are for that type of application.

      Given the estimated testing period of this product I believe that they will be used extensively during the fall and winter months for hiking, backpacking and snowshoe trips in Rocky Mountain National Park and the surrounding mountains of Northern Colorado. The elevation range I would expect to be in would be 8,000 ft to 13,000 ft (2.4 km to 4.0 km). Additionally, I expect that I would encounter a range of temperatures of 0 F to 60 F (-18 C to 16 C) with excessively high winds and deep snow.

      My previous tests can be found here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mlebwill

      I am currently testing the following items:
      Flatterware Cup, Bowl and Plate Combo – LTR due 9/14/2010
      OBOZ Footwear Contour Trail Runners – LTR due 9/14/2010
      Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 Tent - Shipping information submitted 9/1/2010

      I currently have an application outstanding for the Black Diamond Orbit Lantern.

      The only role that I currently have with BGT is as a happy tester.