APPLICATION: BD Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2010
      Application to test the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles

      Andrea, please accept my application to test the BD Trail Ergo Cork Trekking
      Poles. I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I
      agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. My signed Tester
      Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Ryan L. Christensen
      Age: 46
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight: 235 lb (107 kg)
      Email address: bigdawgryan (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City, State, Country: Idaho Falls, Idaho U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25. After an extended hiatus,
      due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several
      years ago and began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. I share my love for
      backpacking and these sports with my children. For several years, we have hiked
      or camped nearly every month, year-round. We vary our experience: desert,
      forest, meadow, and mountain; spring, summer, fall, and winter; sunshine, rain,
      wind, or snow. I am a lightweight backpacker, but carry a full array of
      necessary gear.

      Field Information:

      I live in southeastern Idaho at approximately 4,700 ft (1,433 m) above sea
      level. I plan to test the Trail Ergo Cork trekking poles hiking, snowshoeing,
      and cross-country skiing in the surrounding area. The four areas I am currently
      considering include: Craters of the Moon National Monument; the Kelly Canyon
      Nordic Area; the Palisades and Teton Valley areas of Idaho; and Harriman State
      Park. Average winter temperatures for southeastern Idaho are in the low teens
      to 0 F (-10 to -18 C). However, the temperature can drop to 30 below 0 F (-34
      C) or more. The average annual snowfall in the region is 150” – 200” (381 cm –
      508 cm).

      Proposed Test Plan:

      I have used trekking poles for many years. Currently, my favorite poles are
      another BD model. However, I am keenly interested in testing these with their
      15-degree angled grips. Are they noticeably more comfortable than non-angled
      grips? I hope to get in some fall hikes before the snow flies, but, based on
      the timing of this test, much of my testing will be done while snowshoeing and
      cross-country skiing. How will the angled grips perform in these activities,
      will they provide improved comfort or not? How will the cork perform in these
      activities, will they be slicker than foam grips? How well will the powder
      baskets work in these activities? How easily will the baskets be to change? At
      my height, I will use the poles nearly fully extended. Will the FlickLocks
      remain tight or will they loosen with use, as my others have, requiring
      tightening with a Phillips screwdriver?

      Thanks to Black Diamond and BGT for considering me to participate in this test.

      Current Tests:

      - HighGear Axio Max Multi-function Watch – Field Report Due September 14
      - OR Helios Sun Hat – Field Report Due September 21

      Test Applications Currently Under Consideration:

      - None

      BGT Involvement:

      - Test Call Manager
      - Test Monitor

      Previous Reviews:

      Please click the link below to access my previous reports.

      http://tinyurl.com/pwvrl