TEST CALL: Would you touch these with a 10-foot pole?

  • ringrat55
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2010
      I hope so!

      Black Diamond is offering 3 testers the opportunity to test their Ergo Cork Trekking Poles:
      http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/trail-ergo-cork/

      Please include the following in your application:
      1. The opening disclaimer for testing
      2. Your bio
      3. A BRIEF test plan
      4. A link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page)
      5. A list of what you are currently testing or a link to your test status page
      6. A list of any outstanding applications
      7. Any additional BGT roles you play

      Newbie limit DOES NOT apply
      US shipping included
      Curt is the Test Admin

      Please put "Black Diamond Ergo Cork Poles" in the subject line of your application.

      This call will close at 10 pm MDT on Sept 1.

      I'm expecting a flood of applications – good luck!
      Andrea
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2010
        HTML here:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-DRYMAXHD-TVickers/

        Long Term Report
        August 25, 2010

        Activities:
        Day Hiking

        Days used: 5 (15 mi/24 km)

        Conditions:
        No precipitation
        80 - 105 F (27 - 41 C)

        The end of the line:
        As comfortable as these socks are, I am not very fond of them in the
        summer heat here in Texas. I have day hiked in them as much as I could
        stand. This is should not be taken as a flaw in the socks because I am
        pretty sure that the Drymax HD socks were designed for cooler weather
        and it was beyond my ability to test them this way.

        With that being said, they are comfortable. Despite the heat, they were
        great at keeping the bugs off my lower legs (they came nearly up to my
        knees) and they really do cradle my feet and legs. I could probably keep
        harping on their comfort, but I am pretty sure that everyone gets the
        picture at this point.

        These socks seem to wick just as efficiently as the manufacturer claims
        and this makes them even more attractive to me. The ability to wear a
        single sock instead of a liner and a sock is a feature that I value. Of
        course this dual construction means that the Drymax HD are fairly bulky
        socks, but I think that they are less bulky than a sock/liner combination.

        Final thoughts:
        These socks have held together pretty well. The construction seems good
        and they have held up to what I have put them through. While I am not a
        fan of tall socks, I will say that when wading through high grass or
        weeds with the Drymax HD, I knew I was not going to be infested from the
        knees down. With the socks being so tall, I also knew that if I was
        going into bug territory, I did not have to wear long pants because the
        most exposed parts of my legs were already going to be covered.

        These socks were also very comfortable. They really do feel great on my
        feet and other than being a bit too hot for the Texas summer, I enjoyed
        using the Drymax HD socks.

      • Lori
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2010
          Please accept my application to test the BD Ergo Cork Trekking Poles.

          I have read the BGT Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I
          agree to comply with all requirements and timetables. My signed
          Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

          Name: Lori Pontious
          Age: 43
          Gender: Female
          Height: 5' 7" (1.7 m)
          Weight: 163 (74 kg)
          email address: lori.pontious at gmail.com
          location: Fresno County, California, USA

          I have been dayhiking/backpacking in California since 2006, mostly in
          the Sierra Nevada, in the coastal ranges in winter, and into low
          elevation parks such as Henry Coe. I have been out at least monthly,
          several times a month in spring and summer, and usually carry a
          lightweight pack. I have been using poles since I restarted my
          outdoor adventures in 2006.

          Field Information:

          I will be hiking throughout the winter and (once snow falls) going
          snowshoeing in the Sierra Nevada, possibly delving into winter (snow)
          camping. Search and Rescue operations take place at all elevations in
          all seasons, and at least one hiking pole is required for those
          activities. My leisure backpacking plans over the next six months
          include forays into the Ventana Wilderness (sea level - 5,000 feet
          (1524 meters) in elevation), shoulder season outings into the Sierra
          National Forest and Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
          (mid-elevation weekend outings into forested and subalpine regions),
          and short trips into the Santa Cruz mountains.

          Test Plan:

          I would take the Ergo Cork Trekking Poles with me over my usual
          varied terrain - on trails filled with granite and roots, off trail
          in varied terrain, from open meadow to brush-choked canyons to talus
          and scree covered slopes. There will be stream/river crossings as
          well. I rely heavily on my trekking poles especially when traversing
          hillsides on a grid search, trying to navigate in uncertain footing
          in brush, deep pine needle/leaf cover or loose soil and rock.

          For the duration of the testing period of the Ergo Cork Trekking
          Poles, I would be assessing:
          1. durability
          2. the functionality of the poles in facilitating stream crossings,
          as shelter supports, and as hiking aids
          3. stability of the locking mechanisms
          4. comfort/ease of use (how the grips fit in my hands, strap width/
          length/adjustability, quick adjustment of pole length, are there
          unusual quirks such as excess pole vibration, etc)
          5. packability - sometimes I need my hands for other tasks and need
          to collapse the poles and keep them out of my way. Will they ride on
          my SAR pack and stay out of my way while scrambling?

          Thanks to BGT and Black Diamond for their consideration of my
          application.

          Current tests: none

          Other test applications: Black Diamond Orbit (pending)

          BGT involvement: newbie tester

          Previous reviews: See my owner reviews at:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/lpon2000