LTR: Swiftwick Four Merino socks - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
      Jamie, et al:

      Here is my Long Term Report on the Swiftwick Four Merino socks. I really like
      these socks!

      My HTML file is available via the following link for your review:
      http://snipurl.com/1064u9

      The text version is included below. Thanks in advance for your comments and
      suggestions.

      LONG TERM REPORT
      August 3, 2010

      this final phase of the test series, I wore the socks 4 consecutive days on my
      week-long backpacking/hiking trip in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. The socks
      are exceptionally comfortable, and performed well.

      Likes

      - quality of workmanship
      - feel of fabric
      - toe seam
      - cushion
      - snug fit

      Dislikes

      - some pilling

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:
      [PHOTO HERE]
      A week-long Boy Scouts of America (BSA) Venturing High Adventure consisting of
      backpacking/hiking/fishing in the Popo Agie wilderness in the Shoshone National
      Forest on the east side of the continental divide in the Wind River Range of
      Wyoming. At 8,840 ft (2,694 m) above sea level, the Worthen Meadows trailhead is
      approximately 13 mi (21 km) from Lander, Wyoming. Over the course of the week,
      we covered approximately 50 mi (80 km), with trail elevations up to 11,000 ft
      (2,694 m) above sea level. Temperatures ranged from highs in the low 90's F (32
      - 35 C) to lows in the upper 40's F (4 - 7 C). Skies wear clear to partly cloudy
      with rain sprinkles a couple of times. I carried a 50 lb (23 kg) pack at the
      start of the trip and wore the Four Merino Sock in mid-cut Gore-Tex lined hiking
      boots.

      Observations:
      [PHOTO HERE]
      During this final test phase, I only wore the socks four days. However, they
      were four consecutive days in which I hiked approximately 25 mi (40 km) in them,
      plus untold mileage around camp, walking to the river to get water, etc. I did
      not choose the best boots to wear on this week-long backpacking trip in the
      Winds: the soles were thin and soft under the heavy load which caused me to feel
      much more of the rocky trails than I would have liked. I wore one pair of the
      Four Merino wools socks in these boots, and for three days I was blister free.
      However, given the nature of the boots, I should have worn a second pair as I
      developed three blisters on my right foot: one on the outside of my heel, one on
      my middle toe, and one just off the ball of my foot. On the fourth day, I donned
      a second pair of socks over the Swiftwicks and the blisters did not get any
      worse. I wore double socks the balance of the trip and the blisters remained
      unchanged.

      Although the boots were a poor choice, the socks were the perfect choice. First,
      their snug fit; elasticized arch and cuff provided great support and I truly
      believe they helped reduce fatigue in my feet. The second reason I believe these
      socks were the perfect choice was because of how well they wicked moisture away
      from my skin. However, after four consecutive days, they were somewhat
      malodorous and there was a fair amount of dirt in the fine-gauge weave
      especially where the tops of my boots were. A simple laundering should remedy
      both. A third reason these socks performed so well for me was the fact that they
      stayed in place, no bunching in either the toe box or the heel cup on either the
      steep inclines or declines.

      The pilling mentioned in my Field Report has not seemed to worsen with time.
      There are no fraying threads to speak of either. I am very impressed with these
      socks and will most likely purchase additional Swiftwick merino wool socks in
      the future.

      This concludes my Four Merino Sock Test Series.
      Thanks to Swiftwick and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to participate in this
      test.

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2010
        Hi Ryan,

        The LTR looks good. I only found one little thing. It's listed below marked with ## below a snip of your words. Upload when you're ready and thanks for another easily monitored Test Series.

        Safe hiking,
        Jamie D
        Monitor - Swiftwick Four Merino Socks test

        You - However, they were four consecutives days in which I hiked approximately 25 mi (40 km) in them, plus untold mileage around camp, walking to the river to get water, etc.

        ##Edit – drop the "s" at the end of consecutive
      • bigdawgryan
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2010
          Jamie,

          Thanks for your assistance during this test series. I made the correction, posted in the appropriate folder, and deleted my file from the TESTS folder.

          See you on the next one. Ryan