LTR - Swiftwick Four Merino Socks - Tim Earley

  • Tim Earley
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2010
      Here's the text for my LTR on these socks. Love them!

      html can be found here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20Swiftwick%20Four%20Merino%20Socks%20-%20Tim%20Earley/

      Thanks in advance for the edits!
      Tim

      LONG TERM REPORT - August 3, 2010

      Field Conditions:

      Since my field report, I have worn these socks on approximately ten
      outings including day hikes and overnight trips. I have also worn
      them day to day when I know I'll be putting a lot of non-hiking around-
      town mileage on my feet. This summer has been quite a scorcher so far
      with temperatures consistently above 90 F (32 C) and as such almost
      all of my uses since the field report have been hot weather above 80 F
      (27C). My overnight trip saw low temperatures of about 60 F (10 C)
      and high temperatures of about 85 F (29 C). Most of my day hikes saw
      temperatures from 80 F (27 C) to 90 F (32 C). Elevation gains were
      similar to my field testing conditions (0-1500 feet or 0-450 meters).

      Observations:

      I have to say, I've been very impressed with the performance of these
      socks. Initially I was concerned that the socks were both too thin
      and too lightly padded to be suitable for my boots. Over the past
      several months, however, they have proven to be more than up to the
      challenge. I never had to resort to liners and I have never had any
      discomfort in my feet while wearing these socks. I believe the
      effective use of stretch materials throughout really creates an almost
      automatic custom fit that prevents the sock from sliding. No sock
      sliding means less friction and more comfort. I would like to
      emphasize that I did not experience a single hot spot or blister
      during this entire test period.

      My concern about padding above the toes (mentioned in my initial
      impressions section) was proven almost entirely false. I did feel the
      seam on my pinky toe from time to time but nothing that really
      bothered me. In no case did it cause discomfort, just a sense that
      the seam was, in fact, above my toe. I did not feel the seam on any
      of my other toes.

      As for durability, these socks got off to a rocky cosmetic start (as
      illustrated by pilling in the field report) but have held up well in
      the long run. There has been no measurable decrease in padding or
      elasticity. In addition, I believe they have remained almost exactly
      the same size; I have the feeling they might have shrunk just a tiny
      bit, but nothing to make them unusable. I am most impressed with the
      durability of the elastic in the upper neck of the sock. It is just
      as strong as it was the first time I pulled the socks out of the box.
      I particularly appreciate this as these socks always hold themselves
      up, providing a bit of minimal protection from scree, gravel, twigs,
      etc.

      Despite my love for it, the strength of the elastic neck has proven to
      be a double edged sword. The neck is, in my opinion, too tight. It's
      not uncomfortable at all on the trail but when I take off my boots I
      get the insatiable urge to scratch my upper ankles. I think it's from
      the socks hugging so tightly. I wouldn't consider this a major defect
      and it might not manifest itself to all users, but I found it worth
      mentioning.

      Finally, these socks rock in the warm weather. They manage moisture
      and smell better (relatively speaking, of course) than any I've used.
      I'm sure their thin profile has a lot to do with warm weather
      management. My feet did feel warm when on the trails in the warm
      weather of this test period but I consider this a function of two
      things. Firstly, my feet just tend to get hot and sweat. Secondly, I
      wear somewhat heavy boots year round. These two things conspire to
      make my feet sweat regardless of temperatures.

      As for odor control, I wore one pair for 4 days straight to see how
      the socks held up. I am happy to report that they did not smell (at
      all) and they did not stand up like they were professionally dry-
      cleaned and starched. I truly can't recall one time in the test
      period where I thought the socks smelled foul. This is truly a tall
      order with my feet.

      Overall I think these socks are great. They are everything I need in
      a hiking sock and have actually made me consider switching to a
      lighter boot to take advantage of their thickness and maybe do
      something about my nasty foot sweat. They are comfortable, durable,
      odor-resistant and provide all the protection my feet needed. In
      short, if I wear through these three pairs, I would purchase
      additional pairs.

      Things I like:

      1. I love the use of stretch fabrics throughout. They felt like they
      were custom made for my feet and never slip.
      2. They are more durable than they appear.
      3. Odor control is fantastic.

      Things I don't like:

      1. The tightness of the sock neck. I would prefer it a bit looser.

      I would like to thank Swiftwick International LLC and
      BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item.

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2010
        Hi Tim,

        LTR looks good. In fact, I couldn't find anything to nitpick and as a woman that's a rare occurrence indeed. Hahaha!! Upload when you're ready and thanks for another easily monitored Test Series.

        Safe hiking,
        Jamie D
        Monitor - Swiftwick Four Merino Socks test
      • Tim Earley
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
          Thanks Jaime,
          All tests/previous versions deleted and full report uploaded.
          Have a good one!
          Tim