LTR - Stanley 17 oz. Food Jar - Kristine Mar

  • kmar546
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2010
      Attached is the text of my Long Term Report for the Stanley 17 oz. Food Jar. The html link to my report can be found here: http://tiny.cc/ol31x

      I look forward to receiving your edits.

      Long Term Report - August 1, 2010

      Field Conditions:

      After writing my Field Report in May, the weather started to warm up here on the East Coast, so I switched from testing hot foods in the food jar, to cold foods. Since my report in May, I have used the food jar on two day trips to the beach, four day hikes averaging approximately 6 miles each, four kayaking excursions, and two car trips. I would store such items as juice, water, and fruit salads on my outings. The temperature ranged anywhere from 75 F to 95 F (24 C to 35 C) and the food or liquids were consumed from 2-4 hours after initially filling the jar. I felt, that similar to the warming properties, the ability of the jar to keep the food and liquids cold was adequate. It is difficult for me to describe what an adequate temperature would be, so I did a few controlled tests in my apartment with a set room temperature to give the readers an idea of what I meant by adequate.

      I took bottled water from my refrigerator and poured it directly into the food jar. The air conditioning in the room had been set to keep the room at 75 F (24 C). The initial temperature of the water right out of the refrigerator was 40 F (4 C). I poured the water into the food jar, tightened the lid and allowed the contents to sit on the kitchen counter for two hours. I took the temperature of the water, and I found that it was now 60 F (16 C).

      I decided to do the exact same test a second time, but this decided to include a control sample, by placing a glass of water on the kitchen counter for comparative purposes. For this test, I also decided to test the water after two hours to see what the difference was in temperature. I found that the results of the water in the food jar were the same as before after two hours 60 F (16 C), and the water in the glass on the counter was 70 F (21 C).

      Observations:

      My impression of the Stanley Food Jar has not changed. The food jar is well constructed, and nicely designed. Its compact size is easy to fit into a daypack or purse and the lid doubles nicely as a bowl or a cup. The weight of the jar could be lighter for longer hiking and backpacking expeditions, but for short day hikes, car travel, kayaking excursions, and days out to the beach, the weight of the jar was never a limiting factor.

      The jar was easy to fill and held an adequate amount of food, generally enough to feed both myself and my hiking partner who was always envious of my hot lunches especially during the cold winter hikes. In general, we would split the food and one would use the cup / bowl and the other would eat directly out of the jar. The lid of the food jar did a nice job keeping the contents of the liquid or food inside the container. The seal was very tight and not once, was there any accidental leakage or spilling.

      I did feel that even when following the directions, the food did not stay as warm or as cold as I had expected it to be. Even though the food was piping hot or chilled to a nice cold temperature as it was placed in to the jar, when ready for consumption, it was usually closer to luke-warm, or luke-cold, respectively.

      The 17 oz. Stanley Food Jar is well made and is a useful food container to have during the winter months or hot summer days. The size of the container allows for easy transportation, and the capacity of the jar is enough to feed two. The jar has a nice seal with no leakage and the wide mouth allowed for easy cleaning and filling. The insulating properties of the Stanley Food Jar could be improved upon.

      Things I like:

      1. Compact Size & Design
      2. Leak-proof capability and tight seal
      3. Durability and Construction

      Things I don't like:

      1. Weight
      2. Warming and Cooling Properties could be improved upon

      Thank you to Stanley-PMI and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test this item.