LTR - Stanley PMI Nineteen 13 Vacuum Bottle - Richard Lyon

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
      Andy,

      For your editing. Full report in the Tests folder at http://tinyurl.com/2e7e6s3

      LTR plain text below. Also posted to the list.

      Richard

      LONG TERM REPORT - August 2, 2010

      FIELD CONDITIONS

      Mid-June – Four-day visit to a friend's cabin on the Stillwater River, Montana. Daytime temperatures about 70 F (21 C), in bright sunlight interrupted by an occasional late-afternoon thundershower. I took the Nineteen•13 on a day hike/fishing expedition on the West Stillwater trail, and on a fishing morning on the main Stillwater River. On both occasions the Bottle was filled with hot tea. On Saturday I drove over to Big Timber to look at two cabins for sale; on this day the Bottle contained iced tea.

      Early July – I took the Nineteen•13, filled with hot tea, on a daylong fishing float on the Bitterroot River near Hamilton, Montana. A great fishing day, with no rain but overcast skies and pleasant breezes, with an afternoon high about 85 F (29 C).

      Mid-July – A week in Big Timber, Montana, hiking, fishing, and as much relaxing as possible while baby-sitting two teenagers. More great Montana summer weather: no rain during the day, mixed sun and clouds with temperatures between 60 and 90 F (16-32 C), and occasional gusty winds. I packed the Bottle in my daypack on two day hikes, in the back pocket of my fishing vest on one wade fishing day, and left it in my car on another wade fishing day. Hot cider (from a mix) on two days, iced tea on the third, and iced lemonade on the fourth.

      Over the four-month test period I've had the Bottle in the field on about fifteen days with a hot drink and four or five with an iced drink. That doesn't count the front country use noted in my Field Report or recent daily use near home. Now that my gym has classes that have me on the floor at 6.15 am four days a week I've begun taking coffee to the office in the Bottle, to avoid the brown water passed off as coffee by our office administrator.

      PERFORMANCE

      Insulating ability. More use with iced drinks has led me to conclude that the Bottle keeps hot drinks hot better than cold drinks cold. When using it for an iced drink I fill the container about half full with ice cubes, then top up with the beverage. Drinks so prepared at 6 am still have a few remaining ice cubes at noon, and are still chilled but not icy. I staged a test with some lemonade, leaving the Bottle in my garage at noon at 90 F (32 C) and checking the contents every hour. The lemonade had returned to room temperature (still cooler than the ambient air, however) and the ice had melted by 8 pm. Hot drinks, on the other hand, remain scalding at least eight hours after filling, and once when I forgot to empty the Bottle when I returned home late at night found still-lukewarm tea inside the next morning.

      The distinction between hot and cold beverages is a quibble; I consider both results to be terrific, certainly as good as achieved with any other similarly sized vacuum bottle I've owned, and more than adequate for my day hikes. I was most impressed on a fishing day in Montana. River access required some heavy bushwhacking, so I left the Bottle in the car to save some weight. Inside a locked vehicle, at a temperature a good deal higher than the 86 F (30 C) recorded outdoors, my lemonade was deliciously cold, with a few ice cubes intact, after five hours.

      Durability. The Bottle has met with no further major mishaps, though I have knocked it over a few times. Despite taking no care whatever to avoid contact with other metal objects in my pack I've noticed no major scrapes or scratches on the pewter-colored surface (other than the large dent mentioned in my Initial Report). More importantly, everything still works properly. It's easy to screw the cap into the threads on the throat of the bottle, and I haven't had a leak.

      Careful cleaning and rinsing, in the manner described in my Initial Report, have kept the bottle itself from retaining any flavor from its prior contents. Once I noticed a bit of cider odor on the cup, but that vanished after a good sudsy wash and rinse.

      SUMMARY

      Stanley PMI has come up with a winner. Two more months' frequent use has only reinforced my earlier conclusion: "The Nineteen•13 has performed consistently and well with hot and cold beverages. It's easy to use and pack, and saves me the trouble of packing an extra cup. What more could I ask from a vacuum bottle?" I've even come to like the battling elk pattern. I'm looking forward to carrying the Nineteen•13 on fall hikes and winter ski tours, two occasions when I really appreciate a hot beverage.

      My sole suggestion to the manufacturer is to consider additional sizes. A larger size would allow sharing tea or soup with my comrades. A quarter-liter size would be perfect for a tough morning's ski tour.

      My Test Report ends here, with sincere thanks to Stanley PMI and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test this very useful product.
    • a_henrichs
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
        Hi Richard,

        Great report. Try as I might, I couldn't find any edits for you. Feel free to upload when you are ready. Also, please be sure to delete your test html file. As a side note, your report made me jealous of you fun adventures in Montana. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time up there.

        Thanks,

        Andy
      • richardglyon
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
          Thanks, Andy. Uploaded and tests folder copy deleted. Richard