LTR - Sole Softec Utra Custom Footbeds - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20 9:40 PM
      Heya Jenn,

      Below is the text for my LTR of the SOLE Softecs. You can see the html
      here: http://tinyurl.com/3ywlkne

      Thanks in advance for your edits!

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Over the past two months, I have worn the footbeds on three additional
      backpacking trips as well as five day hikes. All told, I have logged five
      trips over ten days and ten additional days of hiking. The total distance
      hiked over the four months of testing was 98 mi (158 km).

      My first trip was in the San Isabel National Forest in Colorado in the
      vicinity of Brown's Creek. The temperatures were mild from between 30 and 50
      F (-1 and 10 C) with sunny skies and breezy conditions. My campsite was at
      approximately 10,500 ft (3,200 m) in subalpine forest conditions. There was
      a small amount of snow about the area, but the trails were mostly clear.

      My second trip was into Missouri Gulch in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness in
      Colorado. Temperatures were unseasonably warm; between 50 and 80 F (10 and
      27 C) with mostly sunny skies. I camped at 11,750 ft (3,600 m) in an alpine
      meadow.

      The final trip I took was an annual trip up Longs Peak in the Rocky Mountain
      National Park. The elevation was 9,400 - 14,255 ft (2,865 - 4,345 m) on
      rocky alpine terrain. With the temperatures ranging from 80 to 40 F (26 to 4
      C) and conditions from sunshine to snow pellets we needed to be prepared for
      anything. While it was quite windy at the time the overall conditions were
      fine.

      As I mentioned above, I have also taken five other day trips where I
      encountered variable conditions. All but one were summit hikes over 14,000
      ft (4,267 m).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      Through the past four months, the SOLE Softec Ultra Custom Footbeds have
      definitely been a plus for the soles of my feet. My feet feel happy as ever
      despite the abuse I put them through the past four months. On one of my
      hikes, a 7 mi (11 km) loop of the fourteeners Democrat, Lincoln and Bross in
      Colorado, I forgot trekking poles. Normally I would have sore knees and
      soles of my feet, but i felt great after the hike despite the 3,500 ft
      (1,070 m) of elevation gain and loss.

      Much to my amazement, my boots don't stink either. I have made sure to air
      out the insoles after each hike, as the picture above shows beneath Missouri
      Mountain in Colorado. While the manufacturer does not make mention of odor
      resistance this is a plus for me and my hiking partners...

      I wish the heels of my feet were in as good of shape as my soles. I
      mentioned in my field report that I had some discomfort but that I was able
      to manage through lacing. Well over the past two months I have begun to
      develop massive blisters on my heels. I honestly believe that the footbeds
      take up too much room and therefore raise the angle of my heel causing
      excess friction. I have experimented with two separate boots and have found
      the real problem to be an incompatibility with my summer hiking boots.

      With my summer boots, I swapped out one footbed for my old set. I developed
      the blisters on the heel with the SOLE footbed even though I put
      preventative padding (moleskin) on my heel. With my winter boots the shape
      of the heel does not cause much friction. This clearly is not the fault of
      SOLE, it is just incompatibility with my foot, the product and that
      particular boot.

      I can see no deterioration of the footbeds whatsoever. In fact, they look
      almost new still!

      SUMMARY

      Things I like:

      * They really make my soles happy!
      * Very easy to customize (cut, heat, step on them, repeat)
      * Does not seem to attract odors

      Things I wish were better:

      * Does not work well with my summer boots

      CONTINUED USE

      Sadly I will have to replace these footbeds with another pair for my summer
      boots. However based on my experience I will likely purchase another pair of
      SOLE footbeds that are thinner. These made that much of a difference on the
      bottoms of my feet!

      For my winter hikers, I plan to continue using these footbeds since they
      work well.

      I would like to thank SOLE as well as the folks at BackpackGearTest.org
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org> for allowing me to be a part of this test
      series.

    • Edward
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22 1:39 PM
        Not Jenn on this one but me.

        Ted

        All looks good. Miniscule edit, capitalization error:

        [EDIT]
        but i felt great after the hike despite the 3,500 ft (1,070 m) of elevation gain and loss.

        should read

        but I...........

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Haydin" <bhaydin@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > almost new still!
        >
        > SUMMARY
        >
        > Things I like:
        >

        > * They really make my soles happy!
        > * Very easy to customize (cut, heat, step on them, repeat)
        > * Does not seem to attract odors
        >

        > Things I wish were better:
        >

        > * Does not work well with my summer boots
        >

        > CONTINUED USE
        >
        > Sadly I will have to replace these footbeds with another pair for my summer
        > boots. However based on my experience I will likely purchase another pair of
        > SOLE footbeds that are thinner. These made that much of a difference on the
        > bottoms of my feet!
        >
        > For my winter hikers, I plan to continue using these footbeds since they
        > work well.
        >
        > I would like to thank SOLE as well as the folks at BackpackGearTest.org

      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
          Ted,

          Sorry that I missed this edit for so long. Regardless, I uploaded the
          corrected version and deleted the test file. Thanks for your help on this
          series!

          Brett

          All looks good. Miniscule edit, capitalization error:

          [EDIT]
          but i felt great after the hike despite the 3,500 ft (1,070 m) of elevation
          gain and loss.

          should read

          <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , "Brett Haydin"