IR-OR Sentinel Shirt-Cheryl McMurray

  • Cheryl Mcmurray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2010
      HI,
      Here's my IR for the OR Sentinel Shirt. The URL is at http://tinyurl.com/2vd7q49
      Cheryl

      OUTDOOR RESEARCH SENTINEL WOMEN'S SHIRT

      TEST SERIES BY CHERYL MCMURRAY

      INITIAL REPORT July 5, 2010
      FIELD REPORT
      LONG TERM REPORT

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name: Cheryl McMurray
      Age: 51
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 8 in (173 cm)
      Weight: 145 lb (66.6 kg)
      Waist: 32 in (81 cm)
      Chest: 36 in (91 cm)
      Torso Length: 18.5 in (47 cm)
      Sleeve Length: 22.5 in (57 cm)
      Email Address: cherylmcmurray2ATgmailDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Garden Grove, California, U.S.

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I've been backpacking and hiking for four years, mostly on weekends year around. Overnight trips are usually long weekend trips in the Eastern Sierras with 32 lb to 40 lb (15 kg to 18 kg) loads depending on the season. One class two rock climb with a day pack is common. Day hikes are 10-15 mi (16 km to 24 km) in the San Gabriel Mountains with loads of 15 lb to 20 lb (7 kg to 9 kg). I'm a tent style camper and have experienced snow, sub-freezing temperatures, winds (once was gale force), light rain, but mostly fair weather.

      INTIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Manufacturers Website: www.outdoorresearch.com
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      List Weight: 8.1 oz (230 g) average weight
      Actual Weight: 8.25 oz (234 g)
      Fabric: Dri-release woven; 85% polyester/15% cotton
      Size Tested: XL
      Other Sizes Offered: XS, S, M, L
      Color Tested: Fern
      Color Options: Fern, Fossil
      MSRP: $85.00 US

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Outdoor Research Sentinel is a long sleeve, insect repelling, lightweight, breathable shirt that provides full coverage over the arms and has a collar that extends above the ears, according to the manufacturer. It is made of a Dri-release woven fabric that is 85% polyester and 15% cotton, is moisture wicking, breathable and boasts the softness of cotton without the odor. The fabric uses a trademark Insect Shield which is odorless, EPA-registered, and repels no-see-ums, mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, and chiggers for up to 70 washes. The shirt has a front button closure, chest pocket with an invisible zipper, zippered hand pocket with media port and external button hooks when the sleeves are rolled up. In addition to the moisture wicking fabric, the shirt also has covered mesh panel vents under the arms.

      OR Sentinel Shirt photo from website
      Shirt with tags/color more accurate
      Photo taken from website, Fern color
      Shirt with tags (color more accurate)

      INITIAL IMPRESSION

      MATERIAL

      Upon taking the shirt out of the plastic packing bag, I noticed how very soft the material felt. The website states that the shirt has the softness of cotton and that is a very accurate statement in my opinion. I really like the color that is pictured more accurately in the photo with the tags attached. The material has a definite weave look to it, appears durable and is well constructed.

      The insect repellent is Permetherin, an active ingredient man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in certain types of chrysanthemum plants, according to one of the tags on the shirt. It is indeed odorless and invisible as the manufacturer claims.

      FEATURES

      The collar is double folded and secured with a hook and loop closure but when extended up, comes to just below my ear. It would be nice if it had some sort of a closure in the front to protect the front of the neck from insects but I didn't see anything to do that. It has a button down front, one-button sleeve cuffs, roll up sleeves, with external hooks, chest pocket and hand pocket, both with invisible zippers and mesh liners. The hand pocket has a media port that opens at the upper corner inner mesh liner which enables the earphones to run up under the shirt. Both pockets measure 8 in x 7 in (20 cm x 18 cm). The armpit areas have a vented 8 in (20 cm) opening with a mesh liner under each. The shoulders and upper back area also have a mesh lining but no outer material venting flap. There is also a spare button sewn on one of the inner labels in case one is lost.

      Collar extended
      Lower pocket
      One sleeve down, one rolled up
      Collar extended
      Hand Pocket
      Sleeve options

      INITIAL FIT

      I ususally wear a size L but wanted the XL size so that I could comfortably wear a short sleeve or sleeveless shirt underneath. Although the shirt fits slightly large on me, it feels very comfortable. The sleeves come down to the heel of my hand when my arms are extended down but cover nicely when extended up for use with trekking poles. The length of the shirt is 28.5 in (72 cm) and covers nicely below my waist. The sleeves when rolled up have a snug but not tight fit against my arm but does not seem to restrict my movement. The only place the shirt seems to big is in the neck area when the shirt is fully buttoned. That is probably due to XL size and I don't see it as an issue.

      WASHING INSTRUCTIONS

      The manufacturer states that the shirt can be machine washed in cold water and tumbled dry on the low setting but needs to be washed separately from other clothing. Since it cannot be combined with other clothes in the washing machine, I will most likely be hand washing it. Dry cleaning will remove the active insect repellency and the shirt is not to be retreated with other Permethrin insect repellent products. The insect repellency is supposed to last up to 70 washes which is also the stated life of the shirt.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The shirt came just in time for my weekly hike with the ladies. The temperature was approximately 75 F (24 C), sunny and the walk was 3 mi (5 km). I used a small hydration bladder system on my back. The shirt was very comfortable, and stayed dry except for a few spots under the hydration system, keeping me comfortable. I was very pleased that there was no odor to the shirt afterwards on my drive home and that is usually when I notice it.

      SUMMARY

      I really like the feel of the shirt and when wearing something for a long period, softness is a real plus for me. I think the color is very nice and like the look of the Dri-weave material. I'm not sure how often I will be using the pockets with a pack on as the hip belt and sternum strap can possibly interfere in those locations but will test that out. The sleeves are comfortable when rolled up but I have concerns about the effectiveness of the collar when extended as there is no closure for the front to keep insects out. Our mosquito population in the Sierras is epic this year so I'm looking forward to testing the insect repellency of the fabric.

      Check back for my Field report in a few months.