ARRIVED - GSI Outdoors Minimalist Rubber Gasket?, BIP - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010
      First, I'm BIP from my week+ trip.

      Second, in the mail was a package from GSI Outdoors containing a
      replacement rubber gasket for the Minimalist cook set. I didn't see a
      recall notice, but after trying it out, it appears to be an upgrade to
      the lid. Apparently, all the complaints about the lid being difficult
      to remove prompted a re-tooling of the rubber ring. The new ring does
      open a lot easier and even as a thumb tab.

      My question for the Mods: should I continue testing the original
      rubber ring, or begin using the new ring shipped by GSI?

      Thanks,

      ~derek
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010
        Note it in your report and continue with the new ring. You may get a
        different later one.......

        Jerry

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
        reviews on the planet.

        Second, in the mail was a package from GSI Outdoors containing a
        replacement rubber gasket for the Minimalist cook set. I didn't see a
        recall notice, but after trying it out, it appears to be an upgrade to
        the lid. Apparently, all the complaints about the lid being difficult
        to remove prompted a re-tooling of the rubber ring. The new ring does
        open a lot easier and even as a thumb tab.

        My question for the Mods: should I continue testing the original
        rubber ring, or begin using the new ring shipped by GSI?

        Thanks,

        ~derek

        database 5252 (20100705) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        database 5253 (20100705) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010
          Html here
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-Julbocontest-ThomasVIckers/

          Julbo Contest Sunglasses

          *Initial Report - July 4, 2010

          *

          *Thomas Vickers

          42 years old
          Male
          5 ft 11 in tall (1.8 m)
          175 lb (79 kg)
          redroach@...
          Southeast Texas, Houston Area*

          *Tester Background:*
          I grew up in the piney woods of southeast Texas. Camping was a quick
          trip into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. My style has
          evolved and over the last 4 or 5 years, I have begun to take a lighter
          weight approach to hiking gear (I still use sleeping bags and tents,
          just lighter versions). While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I
          feel that I am more of a mid-weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of
          comfort, while carrying the lightest load possible.

          *Initial Report
          July 5, 2010*

          drymaxsocks

          _*Manufacturer Information:*_

          *Manufacturer:* Julbo Inc

          *Website:* www.julbousa.com <http://%20www.julbousa.com>

          *Year Manufactured:* 2010

          *MSRP:* $160 US

          *Weight:* NA

          **

          _*Information From Tester:
          *_(all measurements approximate)

          **Model: Contest
          *Frame color: Black
          Lenses: Zebra*/*
          */
          *Weight : *1.4 oz (39 g)**/*

          */ *
          *

          *Initial tester expectations:
          *I was excited after leaving the Julbo USA website. The Contests frames
          did not have a ton of information about them, but the Zebra lenses had a
          good amount of information. I have never owned a pair of sunglasses
          with photochromic lenses and the website claims a response time of about
          28 seconds. I know it is hard to actually describe frames, but at least
          I knew what they would look like and had a good feel what how the lenses
          were going to work.

          *Manufacturer's description:*
          //"/Whether you're into endurance training, freeride or all mountain
          sports, the Contest has got you covered. With interchangeable or Zebra
          lenses for perfect vision at all times, well-ventilated frame for the
          tough moments in the ascent, and wide vision spectrum for the descent,
          they are the ATV of sunglasses./".

          *Tester's Description:
          *The Julbo Contest sunglasses are wrap around sunglasses with a black
          frame. The frame and nose pieces are highlighted with

          Tallsocks

          bright yellow portions and the lenses appear to be a yellowish color.
          The lenses are large and when worn in the sun they darken up to provide
          better protection from bright sunlight.

          Tallsocks

          The frames are a rigid plastic and the hinges swing back and forth
          nicely. They are not stiff and hold the temple pieces open or closed
          with ease. The nose pieces are not adjustable and molded into the
          frames of the Contest sunglasses.

          *Initial thoughts:*
          The frames of these glasses are rather small, but the lenses themselves
          are large, which is just the way I like them.

          Tallsocks

          They cover my face and more importantly my eyes in such a way that
          sunlight does not leak into my eyes from around the edges of the lenses
          or frames.

          The color if the lenses is what really impresses me. I have depth
          perception problems with traditional brown or gray sunglasses lenses,
          but I have had better luck with orange, amber, or even rose colored
          lenses. The yellow color of the Julbo Contest sunglasses seems to be
          pretty effective at blocking the sun's rays and they do not seem to
          impact my depth perception to a huge degree.

          The frames themselves are rather rigid and seem a big large for my head,
          but they do not slip around at all. In fact, they do not grip my head
          too tightly and cause headaches like a lot of hats and sunglasses do for
          me. The nose pieces hold the Contests in place on my face and there is
          just no movement so far. Despite the size of the lenses, the glasses
          weight very little and I can hardly tell that they are there from a
          weight stand point. So the Julbo Contest sunglasses offer up some
          serious contradictions for me at this point. They are large, but do not
          weigh a lot. They do not squeeze my head, fit good, but are on the verge
          of being 'too lose' for my head. None of these are bad things, just
          somethings I need to keep in mind as I use these glasses.

          *Final thoughts:*
          I have worn these glasses for just a few days so far. The lenses do
          change tint, but I will have to wear them more to see how quickly and
          effectively this happens. I will also be watching the anti-fogging
          capabilities. Coming from inside an air conditioned house to the hot
          humid outdoors in Texas can cause almost anything with lenses to fog up
          instantly.

          Most importantly, I hope the Julbo Contests not only block bright light,
          but allow me to see with sharp detail. The idea that I can get
          everything I need out of one set of sunglasses and one set of lenses for
          every lightening condition is one that I find promising.

          *Things I like:*
          1. Do not squeeze my head
          2. Stay in place

          *Things I do not like:*
          1. Color scheme is loud
          2. Feel lose on my face.

          Check back in two months to see how the Julbo Contest sunglasses hold up
          to the Texas summer.

        • Andrew Buskov
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2010
            Thomas,

            Here are your edits. As usual;
            EDIT: Change Me
            Edit: Think about changing me
            Comment: Everything else.

            AB
            ______

            > drymaxsocks
            EDIT: Your picture's alt text is drymax socks?

            > **Model: Contest
            > *Frame color: Black
            > Lenses: Zebra*/*
            > */
            > *Weight : *1.4 oz (39 g)**/*
            >
            > */ *
            > *
            Edit: Your Manufacturer information is every other line, did you mean for your Tester
            information to be spaced the way it is?

            > *The Julbo Contest sunglasses are wrap around sunglasses with a black
            EDIT: Remove extra space after "are"

            > Tallsocks
            EDIT: Your picture's alt-txt is Tallsocks?

            > Tallsocks
            EDIT: Your picture's alt-txt is Tallsocks?

            > Tallsocks
            EDIT: Your picture's alt-txt is Tallsocks?

            > The color if the lenses is what really impresses me. I have depth
            EDIT: the color "of" the lenses

            > The frames themselves are rather rigid and seem a big large for my head,
            EDIT: seem a "bit" large

            > just no movement so far. Despite the size of the lenses, the glasses
            > weight very little and I can hardly tell that they are there from a
            EDIT: "weigh" very little