IR - Outdoor Research SoDo Shirt - AB

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2010
      IR - Outdoor Research SoDo Shirt - AB

      Here ya go! Have Fun.
      HTML can be found here: http://goo.gl/Gyz0

      Received my reply from Outdoor Research so I got this in as soon as I could.

      AB
      ______

      Outdoor Research
      SoDo S/S Shirt
      Outdoor Research's wind resistant button-up with sun protection.
      Andrew Buskov
      Initial Report: July 1, 2010
      Tester Biographical Information:
      Name: Andrew Buskov
      Age: 35
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 223 lbs (101 kg)
      Email: Rescue(at)Corridor9(dot)net
      City, State Zip Madisonville, Kentucky USA
      Backpacking Background:

      I've been backpacking for years now, and have slowly started developing my ideal
      style. I've gotten my pack weight down to roughly 25 - 30 lbs (11.3 - 13.6 kg) before
      water, and am whittling it down every hike. Day hiking is nice, but getting out over
      multiple nights is really what I enjoy. I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery
      as opposed to hiking hard. I also like being comfortable and insist on an air
      mattress. I usually tent or hammock, but stay in shelters when needed.
      Product Information:
      Item: SoDo Short Sleeve Shirt
      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Website http://www.outdoorresearch.com
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      MSRP: $58
      Listed Weight: 7.9 oz (224 g) : Size Large
      Actual Weight: 8.7 oz (248 g) : Size X-Large

      Product Overview:
      (From Manufacturer's documentation & Website)

      The Outdoor Research SoDo Short Sleeve shirt is designed with the fashionable hiker in
      mind. Touted as the perfect shirt to take on trips when space is limited, it's
      wind-resistance and sun protection help keep you cool and protected from the summer
      rays while still providing the classy look that transitions easily to a night on the
      town. The fabric is breathable and allows heat and humidity to escape easily. It is
      designed from lightweight nylon that provides a UPF factor of 30+. There is a relaxed
      fit straight hem along with both a zipper and button pocket on the front. A media
      pouch is included in the zipper pocket along with a port sewn inside the shirt to
      allow headphone cords to pass through.

      Initial Impressions:

      The outdoor Research SoDo shirt arrived to my door intact, in good shape, and without
      any visible defects. As soon as I removed this shirt from its protective plastic bag I
      noticed how classy this shirt looked. I've always been one who likes wearing an over
      shirt. Even in the middle of summer I still like having something on over my t-shirt
      for various reasons. It was easily apparent from the beginning that the design and
      construction of the SoDo shirt was going to make this test both fun and comfortable.

      After removing the shirt from its packaging and trying it on, it was clear that there
      were a number of features to this shirt that needed to be addressed. One of those
      features that I noticed immediately was the construction of the buttons. Unlike
      traditional buttons that are sewn on with thread, these buttons were designed to have
      a piece of ribbon running through them. This allows the buttons to stand off the shirt
      a bit thus making it easier to slip them through their corresponding button hole
      without the chance of the threads that hold the buttons becoming weak. In my opinion,
      this is a wonderful feature as I'm always snagging a button on my pack straps and
      having it rip off at the most inopportune times.

      On the right hand chest is a zippered Napoleon style pocket. There is a flap of fabric
      that covers the zipper so that it's hidden from view. The zipper is plastic with fine
      teeth and slides easily even when put in a bind. The pocket is sewn in a peculiar way;
      the pocket itself is complete without the exterior wall of the shirt itself. The
      interior of the pocket is a soft mesh material. The exterior of the pocket is the same
      material that the shirt is made from. It is attached to the seams of the shirt at the
      shoulder, along the button side hem, and at the top. This allows the pocket to float
      inside the shirt. Also inside this pocket is a media player sleeve. While this will
      hold my iPhone 3GS without case, it will not hold my phone when in its OtterBox case.
      This isn't too much of a problem for me though as I usually stow my phone in my pants
      pocket anyway.

      The pocket on the left side of the shirt is a traditional chest pocket. There is no
      mesh and the pocket is entirely composed of the same material as the shirt itself. The
      interior side of the pocket is actually the shirt while the exterior of the pocket is
      an extra piece of material sewn to the shirt. The one thing that stands out is the
      ribbon button design as seen on the front of the shirt. Also on this pocket is a small
      OR logo sewn to the top hem.

      Along the top of the neckline, there is another piece of mesh material sewn into the
      shirt. It appears to keep the shirt off the neck itself allowing for a cooling effect
      from the increased airflow. However, on the right hand side of the sewn area is a
      small opening into the mesh area. It creates a sort of pouch. I wasn't aware of why
      this would be sewn in this way so I contact Outdoor Research for answers. After
      examining the SoDo on their end it was determined that the design was due to an OR
      logo on the back of the shirt. Had the mesh been sewn to the back of the shirt it
      would have been sewn right through the logo.

      At the bottom of the shirt on each, side where the front and back material come
      together, is a slit that is reinforced by the same ribbon that is used for the
      buttons. This helps to strengthen this area and prevent accidental tearing. On one of
      the side seams is a tag that includes washing instructions and an additional button
      just in case one is lost. However, due to the button design, it appears as if I will
      have to remove the entire ribbon to replace the missing button. At the neckline of the
      shirt is the usual Outdoor Research sewn tag, a sizing tag, a Made in China tag, and a
      loop that is used for hanging. Also screen printed inside the button hole side near
      the bottom hem is the text "Designed by Adventure".

      In all the quality and construction of this shirt is very good. It is sewn nice and
      tight in all areas, appears to have quality materials, and looks quite good. I'm very
      pleased with this shirt as it met all expectations that I had when viewing the shirt
      on the website. In the past few days I've been able to wear the shirt for roughly 30
      minutes and have already found that I am exceptionally comfortable in it. I look
      forward to a long and useful testing phase.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in approximately two months for
      information regarding the Field Report testing phase.
    • a_henrichs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2010
        Hello Andrew,

        Nice IR. Try as I might, I could only find 1 minor edit for you. Once it is corrected, feel free to upload. Also, please be sure to delete your test html file.

        Thanks, and I'll see you in 2 months!

        Andy

        > At the bottom of the shirt on each, side where the front and back material come together...
        EDIT: remove the first comma