IR - OR Men's Sentinel L/S Shirt - Coy Boy

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 10:23 PM
      Hello mystery monitor. I have my IR for this fine looking shirt ready for edit. I took the liberty of making the first photo wider than normal due to Dave reworking the sidebar (it not showing). I went with 800 pixels wide but it looks like I could have gone slightly wider. Ata boy Dave!!!

      the html should be here

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR - OR Mens Sentinel Shirt - Coy Boy/>

      and the text only below. Enjoy and TIA for any edits and or comments.

      Outdoor Research Men's Sentinel L/S Shirt
      Test Report Series
      Initial Report: July 1, 2010

      Pic of the shirt

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 48
      Weight: 240 lb (109 kg)
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      E-Mail: starnescr@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama, USA

      Tester Biography
      I live in Northeast Alabama. I enjoy biking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, and most other outdoor activities but backpacking is my favorite pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I hike throughout the year and actually hike less in the hot humid months of summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is light. However, I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability. A typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food or water.

      Initial Report: July 1, 2010

      Product Information
      Item: Outdoor Research Men's Sentinel L/S Shirt
      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Listed Weight: Avg. Weight = 9.9 oz (281 g)
      Measured Weight: my size XL 10.2 oz (289 g)
      Color: Fossil (a light gray)
      MSRP: $85 USD

      Product Description
      The Sentinel L/S shirt is a long sleeve front buttoning shirt. It is not that much different than some of my flannel shirts or even dress shirts as far as the style goes but what sets this shirt apart is the built in bug protection. The website list the following key features. But I must point out that the last one listed is missing. I suspect it is a mistake on the website but there is no "Zippered napoleon pocket internal with media port" to be found on my shirt.

      +Dri-release® woven; 85% polyester/15% cotton fabric provides comfort and moisture management
      + Insect Shield® clothing repels mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers and no-see-ums, reducing the need for topical repellents
      + Insect Shield® is odorless and EPA-registered; effectiveness against insects is good for 70 washings
      + Relaxed ft with curved hem
      + Front button closure
      + Covered mesh panel vents under arms
      + Roll-up sleeves with external button hooks
      + Chest pocket with hook/loop closure
      + Zippered napoleon pocket internal with media port

      While not listed, the shirt has the same mesh material across the shoulder area and it looks like the same mesh material as listed for the vents under the arms. That's pretty much it but I did want to show how the external button hooks look.

      pic of button hook

      The website also mentions an Infinite Guarantee and under that it says Outdoor Research products are guaranteed forever. But I assume that since the info for the shirt states that the insect treatment will remain effective through 70 washes that the insect protection part is not guaranteed forever. A tag on the shirt also said that 70 washes are the expected life of a garment. So taken together, I am a little confused as to why they would state that Outdoor Research products are guaranteed forever.

      What makes the shirt work?
      The website does not say what the insect treatment used is, other than it is odorless, safe, EPA-registered Insect Shield®. However, there was a clear card hanging from the shirt that list Permethrin (0.52%) as the active ingredient. I have used a Permethrin spray to treat my clothes in the past and had fairly good results. Just this past summer I used an Outdoor Research BugBugAway hat and was pleased with the insect protection it provided. I just hope the shirt works as well.

      Fit
      My shirt is an XL and it fits me very well. I can even button the top button with no problem though I generally don't button my shirts all the way to the top. The sleeves are a tad long, but that is usually the case with any shirts I buy because shirt makers must think all guys big enough to wear an XL must have really long arms. I am long waisted but the shirt tail on this shirt is plenty long for tucking into my pants and seems like it will stay put fairly well.

      Care Instructions
      As I have already mentioned, the Insect Shield® insect protection is supposed to last through 70 washes. A tag sewn onto the shirt says to wash in cold water, do not bleach, tumble dry low, iron low and do not dry clean. The hang tag card said to wash as normal laundry. However, the care directions on the hang tag card say do not wash with other garments. The hang tag card also re-confirms the "do not dry clean" and explains that this will remove the treatment. It goes on to say do not re-treat the garment with other Permethrin insect repellent products. Since I doubt I would wash just the shirt in the washing machine I think I will just hand wash the shirt as needed. I usually line dry my clothes so I will probably do the same with this shirt.

      Early Testing
      My testing over the next several months will mainly focus on the bug protection the shirt offers. So far I've worn the shirt for several hours around in my yard as well in my friends yard when I went over to visit and put a Boston Butt on his smoker. I did not get any bites in my yard, but since we had a smoker going in his yard that may have helped. I just know he didn't get any bites either in just a t-shirt. I did like being able to roll up the sleeves since it was a fairly hot evening. It was 90 F (32 C) when I was in my yard but did cool off considerably before I headed over to the friends house at 7 PM. We were then outside until around 9 PM. I'll end by saying the shirt feels good. I was not sweating a whole lot but it also felt pretty cool with the sleeves rolled up and even before I rolled them up it did not seem all that hot.

      This concludes my Initial Report. I would like to thank Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this shirt. Please stay tuned for the Field Report which should be forthcoming in about two months.
    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 10:30 PM
        link broken, I used <link> which is supposed to keep it working but alas... try this

        http://tinyurl.com/25h7h5n

        Coy Boy