REPOST: IR - OR DryComp Ridge Sack - Mike Wilkie

  • Mike Wilkie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28 8:54 PM
      REPOST
      IR - OR DryComp Ridge Sack
      Mike Wilkie

      I made a few changes and edits that I came across.  The updated HTML version can be found in the test folder via the link below.  I also pasted the text version below.  Thank you for your edits.

      http://tinyurl.com/25abl6l

      Best,
      Mike Wilkie

      http://action.defenders.org/nopalin

      OUTDOOR RESEARCH DRYCOMP RIDGE SACK
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE WILKIE
      IR
      June 23, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Wilkie
      EMAIL: foreverwild76 at yahoo dot com
      AGE: 33
      LOCATION: Davenport, New York (USA)
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      Hiking for me started at an early age, as I was always an avid camper and as a Scout my backpacking obsession began. Now living in the Catskill Region backpacking has become serious for me over the years. I hike, snowshoe, canoe, snowboard or multi-day backpack through the Catskills or Adirondacks almost every weekend. I use and practice safe lightweight techniques and have greatly reduced my pack weight, adding both comfort and miles to my adventures. As an aspirant of the Catskill-3500 Club and Adirondack-46ers, peak-bagging is my main outdoor activity. My long-term goals are to complete long distance thru-hikes.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.outdoorreseach.com">>
      MSRP: US$119.00
      MANUFACTURER DETAILS
      + Ultralight, waterproof 70D nylon fabric
      + 420D nylon fabric for durable, reinforcement on bottom and around pocket
      + Dimensions - Rolled: 24 x 11 x 8 in  (61 x 28 x 20 cm)
      + Volume: 2075 cu. in / 34 L

      TESTER'S MEASURED DETAILS
      Color: Alpenglow/Grey
      Weight: 16.5 oz (468 g)
      Dimensions - Rolled: 24 x 11 x 8 in  (61 x 28 x 20 cm)
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Image courtesy of outdoorresearch.com">>

      ABOUT THE PRODUCT

      The Outdoor Research DryComp Ridge Sack is advertised as "an ultralight and waterproof day sack".  OR states that this pack offers, "all the features for a fast and light summit push".  They also call the DryComp Ridge Sack a comfortable fit for alpine climbing and peak bagging.
      At fist glance, the OR Ridge Sack resembles a large dry bag, but with several added features that offer a multi-use pack.  Personally, I look forward to using the sack as a paddle bag when canoeing down river our camping.
      The sacks main compartment seals with a roll-top waterproof closure and is secured closed with a buckle.  Next to this buckle is a small D-ring for attaching gear.  A deep mesh pocket is on the front that has an elastic shock-cord for securing items in or this pocket can double as a hydration sleeve.
      There are two nylon side compression straps and a third nylon strap on the upper part of the mesh pocket for attaching gear.  The sack even offers dual ice axe loops with shock-cord ice axe keepers.
      The shoulder straps are OR's Spacermesh, which so far has proven both breathable and comfortable.  Radio frequency welded seams are to offer a durable waterproof seal.  A thick reinforcment on the bottom of the sack and around the mesh pocket also offers durability.  To stabilize the load while worn, the Ridge Sack has a ¾ in (1.91 cm) webbing waistbelt and sternum strap.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Initially I was impressed with how the sack was designed typically from a dry bag style and stayed true to a dry bag structure.  The ultralight weight of the Ridge Sack was also quite impressive.
      The 34 L volume offers plenty of pack space in one large compartment and can easily accommodate gear for a day trip.  There is even some space leftover for extra layers when needed on those chillier excursions or when day tripping in early spring or late fall,
      The front mesh pocket is perfect for stashing smaller necessities and snacks.  My two-liter hydration reservoir fit perfectly in this mesh sleeve as well.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I had the opportunity to use the OR DryComp Ridge Sack on a weekend hiking trip.  From base camp, the Ridge Sack was used on day hike throughout a state park over three days.  I have several initial positive and negative comments from the use given thus far.
      First the good; the Ridge Sacks ultralight design helped me to reduce my pack weight drastically from my other daypacks.  The sack offered plenty of space to carry my gear needed for day hiking, including food, water, fleece pull-over and rain gear.  Actually, there was more than enough space for my kit and a bit of room leftover.
      The second positive aspect of the sack is its performance to keep my gear dry and resist water.  During a few thunderstorms, the packs material proved to be highly water-resistant.  The dry bag type roll-top closure prevented any water from entering the sack.
      For breathability and comfort, the mesh shoulder straps are the only other feature next to the packs ultralight weight that adds any comfort when on the trail.  During warm temperatures, the mesh shoulder strap wicked moisture quickly and reducing trapped moisture.  The soft spongy material is comfortable to have on the shoulders.
      My only real complaint thus far is about the Ridge Sacks form.  It was difficult for me to keep the sack and heavier gear stored internally from sagging.  This sagging in return caused some extra weight to hang on the shoulders.  I think going forward, I will add a small piece of stiff closed-cell foam pad that can triple as a back-panel, sit pad and add form to the pack.  I would like to see if this would also help to keep gear secure and reduce any shifting of items.

      SUMMARY

      The Outdoor Research Ridge Sack thus far has offered me an ultralight and ultra-dry backpack/dry bag.  There is plenty of space to store my day trip necessities and hiking gear with some room to spare.  Although I had some issues with my gear shifting and the sack sagging, I feel I can overcome this issue with the use of a small lightweight foam pad, which will offer multiple uses.
      I feel the unique design of the Ridge Sack creates a multi-use pack, which can be used both on and off the water.  The dry bag design will allow me to use the sack as just that on river trips and various paddle excursions.  The backpack design will allow me to wear the sack during canoe portages or when bagging a peak from base camp.

      PROS

      Ultralight
      Dry bag/backpack design with a roll-top closure
      Comfortable/breathable shoulder straps

      CONS

      No form of the sack to keep gear and the pack from sagging

      Additional information will be available in two months time from this report date.

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.