IR - ULA CDT PACK - Carol

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2010
      IR follows and also here: http://snipurl.com/xtban

      Carol

      ULA CDT PACK
      TEST SERIES BY CAROL CROOKER
      IR
      June 24, 10

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Carol Crooker
      EMAIL: cmcrooker AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: Phoenix, AZ
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)

      For the past 10 years, I've backpacked about 30 days each year, usually in Arizona and the western mountains on trips that last 3 to 6 days. Weather has varied from 107 F to a low of 0 F (42 to -18 C). My three-season base pack weight varies from about 8 to 12 pounds (4 - 5 kg) and my winter base pack weight is about 18 pounds (8 kg). I normally use a tarp for shelter. I also packraft (backpacking that includes travel by raft) and apply the same lightweight principles I use backpacking.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Manufacturer photo">>Manufacturer: ULA
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ula-equipment.com">>
      MSRP: US$115

      <b>Listed Weight:</b>
      17 oz (482 g) for size medium with medium waist belt and excluding removable components
      Removable components:
      Hydration sleeve: 1.4 oz (40 g)
      Internal mesh pocket: 1.1 oz (31 g)
      Water bottle holsters: 0.8 oz (23 g)
      Hand loops: 0.8 oz (23 g)

      <b>Measured Weight:</b>
      19.4 oz ( g) for size large with large hipbelt and excluding removable components
      24.4 oz ( g) for size large with large hipbelt and ALL components
      Removable components:
      Hydration sleeve: 1.2 oz (34 g)
      Internal mesh pocket: 1.0 oz (28 g)
      Water bottle holsters: 0.7 oz (20 g)
      Hand loops: 0.7 oz (20 g)
      Internal back pad: 1.2 oz (34 g)

      Note: Rounding accounts for the difference between the sum of the removable component weights (4.8 oz) and the total when all are weighed as a group (5.0 oz).

      <b>Volume breakdown:</b>
      Total Volume: 3610 in^3 (59.2 L)
      Main body: 2100 in^3 (34.4 L)
      Front mesh pocket: 450 in^3 (7.4 L)
      Side mesh pocket: 350 in^3 each (5.7 L)
      Extension collar: 300 in^3 (4.9 L)
      Hipbelt pockets: 30 in^3 each (0.5 L)

      <b>Features:</b> Internal pad holster, contoured padded hipbelt, hipbelt pockets, contoured shoulder straps, front mesh pocket, adjustable/bellowed side pockets, ice axe/pole retention loops, side/top compression straps, drawstring collar, and Dyneema Gridstop fabric.

      <b>Recommendations:</b>
      Maximum load: 25 lb (11.3 kg)
      Base weight: 12 lb (5.4 kg) or less

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Upon initial inspection the ULA CDT pack is constructed of quality materials put together with careful attention to detail. Although this is a frameless pack, it is not merely a pack bag with shoulder straps and a hipbelt. It is obvious a lot of thought has gone into the design including several removable components so users can strip the pack for lightest weight or add options that fit their hiking style.

      The ULA CDT pack appeared as I expected from the website photos and descriptions with one exception: There was a thin foam pad inside the pack along the back panel. The pad was held in place by the two pieces of elastic designed to hold a sleeping pad in place. Although this pad is not mentioned on the website, it is explained on the two pages of instructions included with the pack. It is intended to provide cushioning along the back of the pack. It is not meant to provide the rigid support a sleeping pad will provide.

      I've listed the pack features above and these are well described by the photos on the ULA website. I will comment on some features that stood out for me.

      - The hipbelt tightens by pulling the strap ends towards the center rather than to the sides. I find it much easier to tighten this type of hipbelt so this is a big plus for me.

      - The hipbelt pulls through the side pockets which, on an empty pack markedly reduces the volume of the pockets when it is tightened. Testing will reveal whether this is also true for a full pack.

      - The front mesh pocket is very stretchy with a much finer mesh than I've seen on other packs I've used.

      - The hipbelt pockets are shorter than on other packs I've used. However, they are deep and easily hold my digital camera. It'll be interesting to see what they can hold as I test the pack in the field.

      - I like that the sternum strap slides up and down without needing to unthread it to adjust its height.

      - The front mesh pocket is stretchy and of a much finer mesh than I've seen before.

      Overall, a very positive first impression. It'll be fun to get this pack into the field.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Two sheets of instructions are included with the pack. The instructions include a maximum pack weight recommendation, tips on use, loading and donning/doffing the pack. There is also information on how the removable components are intended to be used. Everything is clearly written and easy to understand.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I left for a three-day trip as soon as the CDT pack arrived. Trying it out consisted of quickly loading it with a typical lightweight three-day load of food and gear plus a few extra luxuries (two books, a graphing calculator, and more than the usual complement of cooking pots) and an ultralight packraft, paddle and PFD (personal floatation device).

      Total starting pack weight was nearly 24 lb (10.9 kg) which is just under the maximum recommended load. Everything fit inside the pack with the collar fully extended except the packraft and paddle. The packraft fit securely under the top compression strap and the three pieces of the paddle fit in a side pocket held in place by the side compression strap.

      The pack is the right size for me. I ordered a medium/large pack even though my torso length (19 in, 48 cm) falls within the size range of the small/medium pack. I asked for a large hipbelt since my circumference at the hip bone level is about 37 inches (94 cm) and the large belt is for 33 inches (84 cm) or greater. There is a lot of excess strap when I cinched the hipbelt and about 3 inches (7.6 cm) of room to further tighten the straps. The pack felt fine on my back for the short trip to the car. My Field Report will include more details.

      SUMMARY

      The CDT a nice looking pack with what appear to be useful features. I like the permanent features of a front pocket and hip belt pockets. My only concern at this point is whether a water bottle will stay put in the side pocket.

      Check back in two months for my Field Report.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Mark McLauchlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2010
        Hi Carol,

        Edits below for you and then you are good to go, enjoy the pack.

        I will be very interested to see a total pack contents, perhaps some photos
        too. I think this gives the reader a better idea as to the suitability of
        the pack.

        Cheers

        Mark

        EDIT: <b>Measured Weight:</b>