LTR - Essential Gear eQ2 Headlamp - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
      Coy,

      The site is still acting weird so I'll at least get you my text version on
      time. This is a winner of a headlamp that I am very happy to have been able
      to test. Thanks in advance for any edits you may have for me.

      -Brett

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      During the past two months, I have used the eQ2 on two additional overnights
      as well as some early morning summit attempts. My first trip was an
      unsuccessful winter ascent of Mount Shavano in the San Isabel National
      Forest of Colorado. The trail was almost completely snow packed; well for
      much of the hike it was really just a snow-covered jeep road. I camped at
      just over 11,000 ft (3,350 m) with mild temperatures dipping to 20 F (-7 C).
      For most of the trip I was in snowshoes due to soft snow conditions. The
      overall distance hike was only 8 mi (13 km)

      My second trip was also in the San Juan National Forest in Colorado in the
      vicinity of Brown's Creek. The temperatures were mild from between 30 and 50
      F (-1 and 10 C) with sunny skies and breezy conditions. My campsite was at
      approximately 10,500 ft (3,200 m) in subalpine forest conditions. There was
      a small amount of snow about the area, but the trails were mostly clear.

      During the first part of the testing period, I encountered quite a bit of
      snow and took two snowshoe hikes on local trails. As the weather warmed up I
      have also taken three other day trips where I encountered variable
      conditions. One trip was a successful summit of Mt Shavano which I earlier
      had noted above where I conditions ranged from dry conditions at the
      trailhead to snow summit conditions requiring crampons and an ice axe.

      I have used the headlamp for a total of six nights and eleven days of
      backpacking with three additional day hikes. I estimate that I have had the
      light on about 13 hours according to my logs.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The eQ2 has continued to perform nearly flawlessly over the final two months
      of testing. The light is still burning brightly and the unit is holding up
      to all the abuse. As the photo below shows, I have used the headlamp clipped
      to my hat for most of this testing phase. This has been a very practical and
      convenient manner to use the light.

      I have continued to notice how stiff the light is to turn on, which is made
      only slightly more difficult while wearing on my hat. I believe this is
      simply a case of leverage as the hat does not provide as solid of a base as
      my forehead; I have been called hard-headed at times...

      I have used the flashing mode a few times, but frankly I am distracted by
      the on-off nature of the lighting and prefer to have a solid beam. Early on
      in the testing I thought I would miss having a wide, dispersed light.
      However I find the more focused light of the eQ2 to be easy to use and
      especially helpful on well defined albeit rocky trails. I never felt a lack
      of visibility was the cause of my early morning stumbles, just my own
      clumsiness.

      If I haven't mentioned this before, this is one lightweight light. For the
      weight, it packs a lot of punch. The brightness has not begun to diminish
      that I can tell.

      SUMMARY

      Overall this has been a rock-solid headlamp for my hiking.

      Things I like:

      * Lightweight
      * Can clip to my hat as needed
      * Light is bright
      * Inexpensive
      * I really dig the circular, focused beam

      Things I would change:

      * Headband was a little uncomfortable
      * It would be nice if the housing spun a little more freely to turn
      the unit on/off

      CONTINUED USE

      Hands down, this is replacing my current headlamp in my backpack. I have a
      ditty bag of with my 10 essentials that this will remain a part of.
      Considering the low price tag, I plan to purchase another one to keep as a
      spare or for when my family comes hiking with me.

    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
        Brett, I think the site is now taking uploads again but I'll save you the trouble of posting in the Test section. I will however give the report another look so drop me a note when you upload for real. I did not find anything to edit here so I'll see if the HTML looks good. Thanks for making this test series easy for me. That goes for all 3 testers. Yall did great!

        Coy Boy

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Haydin" <bhaydin@...> wrote:

        > Coy,
        >

        > The site is still acting weird so I'll at least get you my text version on
        > time. This is a winner of a headlamp that I am very happy to have been able
        > to test. Thanks in advance for any edits you may have for me.
        >

        > -Brett

      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2010
          Coy,

          Thanks a bunch for your help on the series. The final version is uploaded
          at:

          http://tinyurl.com/26j7o6o

          _____

          Brett, I think the site is now taking uploads again but I'll save you the
          trouble of posting in the Test section. I will however give the report
          another look so drop me a note when you upload for real. I did not find
          anything to edit here so I'll see if the HTML looks good. Thanks for making
          this test series easy for me. That goes for all 3 testers. Yall did great!

          Coy Boy

          <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , "Brett Haydin"