APPLICATION - Lowa Renegade Boots - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
      Please accept my application to test the Lowa Renegade Boots. I have read
      the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4 and 5 and will comply with all
      of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on
      file. I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use
      requirements and plan to use the boots more than the required time.

      Name: Brett Haydin
      Age: 37
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      Shoe Size: 10.5 US

      Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
      Location: Salida, Colorado USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being
      involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer
      camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain,
      although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take
      one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18
      kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight
      trips as well.

      Test Field Locations:
      June - October: Living in the Central Rockies Mountains of Colorado, I am
      surrounded by towering mountains reaching over 14,000 ft (4267 m) as well as
      a number of public lands. Most of my trips will be 1-2 nights in sub-alpine
      environments, although as spring arrives I will surely begin my summit
      attempts! Snow in the area is a definite possibility; but more importantly
      there is a wide range of terrain. I am likely to encounter anything from
      crushed rock, to slickrock, to soft forest floors. Temperatures can be
      anywhere from 0 to 75 F (-18 to 24 C) with wind chills most certainly lower.
      I am also looking forward to trips in Utah and New Mexico this year with my
      sister and her family.

      Testing Strategy:
      Summit season has just begun and a new pair of hikers could give me an edge
      on my partners! I am mostly interested in the Renegades because of the type
      of peaks I am planning to summit this summer. I have my sights on Capitol
      Peak in Colorado which requires a fair amount of scrambling, with one
      section described as a "knife's edge." I'll be interested to see if Vibram
      soles and waterproof lining make this a summit worthy boot. I am currently
      testing a pair of insoles, which I would not use with these boots as I would
      want to comment on the quality of the factory insoles. Instead, I would use
      these boots primarily as an approach shoe, using my traditional boots with
      insoles as my "backpacking boots." Once the aforementioned test is
      completed, I will likely use these boots exclusively since my trips are a
      bit shorter this summer. If the boots are as light as they state, carrying
      them for two months won't be an issue for me. I am also testing a daypack,
      so these shoes would accompany me on any day hikes as well.

      Current Tests and Stage (5):
      -Essential Gear eQ2 Headlamp (LTR due June 1)
      -Stanley nineteen 13 bottle (FR due June 8)

      -Black Diamond Octane (FR due June 29)

      -Sherpa Base Layer (FR due July 13)

      -SOLE Softec Ultra Custom Footbeds (FR due July 18)

      Other Applications Pending (0):

      All of my Completed Tests and Owner Reviews can be viewed at:

      Monitor Duties: (2)
      Drymax Sport Socks

      High Sierra Col 35 Backpack