Application – Columbia Mobex Daypack – Andrea Murland

  • ringrat55
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2010
      Application – Columbia Mobex Daypack – Andrea Murland
      June 1, 2010

      Please accept my application to test the Columbia Mobex Daypack. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement was mailed on Aug. 31, 2009. As a Canadian tester I accept any need to pay for shipping.

      Name: Andrea Murland
      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
      Age: 24
      Location: Rossland, British Columbia, Canada
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
      Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don't consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Test Plan:
      The Mobex Daypack looks like a unique and interesting design. I'm particularly fascinated by the Flex Frame. The specs say that it springs back when crushed, and I'm curious just how small it crushes. I do a lot of day-hiking in the mountains around home and many backpacking trips involve side-trips from basecamp – would this pack be an option for a packable daypack? I also like the idea of the compartments inside the pack and the water bottle holder, since I'll be carrying a water bottle this summer for testing the SteriPEN AdventurerOpti. I usually carry an 11 L (670 cu in) daypack with all sorts of things strapped to the outside, so the increased capacity of this pack would allow me to try different packing configurations with everything inside my pack. I'm hoping that the tool loops would be useful for strapping on poles or a helmet for scrambling trips. This spring and summer I'll be hiking and backpacking in the mountains close to home and the Rockies, in temperatures from -5 C (23 F) to 30 C (85 F).

      Pending Applications:
      No others

      Current Tests:
      Essential Gear eQ2 Headlamp (LTR due June 1)
      Sock Guy Mtn-Tech Hiker Sock (FR due July 13)
      Hydro-Photon SteriPEN AdventurerOpti (FR due August 3)

      Previously Written Reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Ringrat
      1 completed test & 8 owner reviews in the past year

      Other Duties:
      None