Revised application - Columbia Mobex Daypack - Mike Mosack

  • Mike Mosack
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      Please accept my application to test the Columbia Mobex Daypack.

      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
      with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
      is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Michael Mosack
      Age: 46
      Torso Length: 19.5"
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
      Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
      Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
      San Diego, California, USA currently working in Afghanistan

      Date: 1 June, 2010

      My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

      Testing plan: I have been working in Afghanistan for the past two years. The cloudless skies and full sun here heats us up to over 140F (60C) in the summer. In this heat, I try to pack as light as I can. I will test the pack's strength to weight ratio. How much weight can it comfortably hold against my shoulders and its seams. It has a type of cross panel construction that by design, has a lot of seams that could be stress points that I want to observe for quality of construction. This pack sports a hydration pocket which is a very welcome feature as I take water with me everywhere I go. I will test this by checking the ease of changing out or accessing for refilling an inserted water bladder. I live out of my backpack so packability and durability of the pack is important, since it will be with me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Will the color fade in the bright unyielding desert sun? Being in very high desert temps, I want to check the pack's ventilation or breathability against my back, if any. I will test this pack in various situations by checking construction, convenience, packability, and quality of manufacturing.

      My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the Columbia Mobex Daypack during my daily adventures here in Afghanistan. Over the next 5 months, I plan to have over 100 days/nights in the field. Additionally, I have 2 five day backpacking trips planned when I get my vacation for Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone in June/July.

      My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

      Previously Written Reports
      Owner Reviews: My last three completed Owner Reviews are below.
      1.. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
      2.. Petzl Taktikka LED headlamp
      3.. McNett Microfiber towel

      Completed tests: None
      Tests I am monitoring: None

      Current Tests: Stuffitts Shoe Savers - LTR due Jun 15th 2010.
      Selected to test the Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight - FR due Jun 15th 2010.
      Sock Guy MTN-Tech Hiker - FR due mid July I believe.
      OR Helios Sun Hat - Awaiting product delivery

      Current Applications submitted - Lowa Renegade Shoes
      Labors of love - Volunteered to become an editor, but need 3 completed tests first so I am working on it.

      Thank you for your time and consideration!
      Mike Mosack