Application - Lowa Renegades - Mike Mosack

  • Mike Mosack
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      Please accept my application to test the Lowa Renegades Shoes.

      I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
      with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
      is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Michael Mosack
      Gender: Male
      San Diego, California, USA currently working in Afghanistan
      Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
      Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
      Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
      Age: 46
      Shoe Size US 14
      Applications pending - none
      Current load, i.e. URL of current test status
      Tester experience link - I am currently unable to access this from BGT as I am unable to log in today and get a 404 error message.

      Date: 1 June, 2010

      My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

      Testing plan: I have been working in Afghanistan for the past two years. The cloudless skies and full sun here heats us up to over 140F (60C) in the summer. The ground temperatures are even higher. I plan to be in Afghanistan primarily for the next year and will wear these shoes as my primary shoes throughout. I will also be making 2 five day backpacking trips to the Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone National Park during the next 4 months. I will test the shoes traction on rocky terrain in the desert conditions of Afghanistan, the waterproof capabilities of these shoes when I vacation in the Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone National Park in July. I will evaluate the construction and how the shoes hold up to the rigors of my travels and will have many miles on them. I feel that my test locations will provide me a wide range of terrain, weather and climate conditions and my use of these shoes as my primary (every day) shoes, will give me a wealth of testing opportunities that I can report on.

      Being in very high desert temps, I want to check the shoe's color fastness and ventilation for my feet. I will test these shoes in various situations by checking construction, adhesion, and quality of manufacturing. I want to see if the soles will come apart from the body of the shoe in this heat which is a common issue I deal with during the Afghanistan summer.

      Previously Written Reports
      Owner Reviews: My last three completed Owner Reviews are below.
      1.. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
      2.. Petzl Taktikka LED headlamp
      3.. McNett Microfiber towel

      Completed tests: None
      Tests I am monitoring: None

      Current Tests: Stuffitts Shoe Savers - LTR due Jun 15th 2010.
      Selected to test the Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight - FR due Jun 15th 2010.
      Sock Guy MTN-Tech Hiker - FR not due until mid July I believe.
      OR Helios Sun Hat - Awaiting delivery of product

      Labors of love - Volunteered to become an editor, but need 3 completed tests first so I am working on it.

      Thank you for your time and consideration!
      Mike Mosack