LTR - EQ2 headlamp - Mark McLauchlin

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hello,

      Please find below LTR for the above test series

      Many thanks

      Mark

      HTML: <http://tinyurl.com/29nopne> http://tinyurl.com/29nopne

      Long-Term Report
      1st June 2010

      Due to personal injury I have not been able to test the eQ2 headlamp as much
      as had hoped. My current limitation restricting me from spending more than
      one consecutive night out hiking. As a result the headlamp has only see one
      nights additional use hiking, however it has been use for several other
      night activities such as geocaching and fishing. I am well on the way to
      recovery now and expect make full use of the headlamp over the coming weeks
      and months. Hopefully longer on the assumption the headlamp will continue to
      perform.

      The night I was able to spend out hiking was fairly consistent with my other
      hikes in terms of geography and style. The total trip distance was 11 km or
      6.8 miles. There was no precipitation, however the temperatures were very
      mild.

      The geocaching night on the other hand was only a very short distance, less
      than 1 km (0.6 mile), but I did manage to expose the headlamp to some
      precipitation which was good. The headlamp became quite wet and still
      managed to function well with no loss of function.

      I feel very strongly now towards how well the focused performs when compared
      to other headlamps that do not have this feature. It, in my opinion is a
      must. The additional control the user has over where the light is directed
      is fantastic.

      The headlamp shows no signs of wear and tear or durability issues. The
      elastic head strap and adjustment are still very effective. The ratcheting
      head still performs as it was new.

      The steady on or flashing 'switch' is a great feature which I am well and
      truly used to and again this shows no performance issues or loss of
      functionality.

      It is safe to say that the eQ2 headlamp will definitely form part of my
      regular hiking gear, it is both functional and lightweight which are the two
      most important aspects to me as strive to reduce my weight (currently 5 kg
      or 13 lb).

      Thank you to Essential Gear and BackpackGearTest.org for the privilege of
      testing the eQ2 Ultra-Light Headlamp.

      This concludes my Long-Term Report and the test series for the eQ2
      Ultra-Light Headlamp.

      <http://lightweighthikersblog.blogspot.com/> Follow my lightweighthikers
      blog

    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
        Hi Mark, sorry to hear about the injury but glad to hear you are on the mend. I had a similar problem last summer when I had a bout with some kind of infection that turned into sever bronchitis and was basicaly out of commision for 8 weeks. Oh well, enough of my war stories...here are your edits.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Mark McLauchlin" <mark@...> wrote:

        As a result the headlamp has only see one nights additional use hiking, however it has been use for several other night activities such as geocaching and fishing.

        Edit: see should be seen or skip the has and make it only saw.

        > I feel very strongly now towards how well the focused performs when compared to other headlamps that do not have this feature.

        Edit: something is missing, I think you meant focused beam.

        It, in my opinion is a must. The additional control the user has over where the light is directed is fantastic.

        Comment: I get what you are saying but I think where is the wrong word here as the light will point in the same direction regardless of how it is focused. I think "The additional control the user has over how much of the light is directed is fantastic." would be the better.

        The ratcheting
        > head still performs as it was new.

        Comment: probably just a regional dialect thing but I'd say as if it were new....adding if.

        > It is safe to say that the eQ2 headlamp will definitely form part of my
        > regular hiking gear, it is both functional and lightweight which are the two
        > most important aspects to me as strive to reduce my weight (currently 5 kg
        > or 13 lb).

        Comment: I think you should add "pack" in front of weight. for all i know you might be loosing weight yourself. All-be-it 5 kg (13 lb) would be one skinny lass.

        That's all I see, fix to your satisfaction and upload. It was a pleasure working with you on this series.

        Coy Boy
      • Mark McLauchlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
          Hi Coy,

          Thanks for the edits/comments will adjust tonight and upload.

          Injury, well thats a big one but it has worked well, c4-C5 neck fusion.

          Cheers

          Mark

          --

          Follow me on my lightweight hikers blog