LTR - Redfeather Conquest Snowshoes - Nathan Kettner

  • kettnernw
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2010
      Can't seem to get the Tiny url to work, so here's the long one from the Test folder:

      Here's the text:

      In the past two months I have carried the Redfeather Conquest snowshoes on three short hikes during which I only got high enough in elevation to encounter snow once. I found the snow in the Eagles Nest Wilderness in central Colorado at about 9,000 ft (2750 m). Of course, the snow in late Spring was intermittent for much of the hike which made it less than desirable hiking, but perfect testing conditions. I say perfect testing conditions because we had to doff our snowshoes three different times to cross dry patches and then don them again, providing ample opportunities to test the ease of use.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Intermittent Snow in Eagles Nest Wilderness">>

      The weather was sunny and 60 F (15 C) which made the snow more like slush.

      I think even the trips when I didn't actually need the snowshoes were a good test of one aspect of the snowshoes - weight. I've touched on this before, so it is no surprise that these snowshoes are not the lightest models available, but they are also not so heavy that they kept me from going as far up the trails as I wanted.

      In the slushy wet snow of late May, the Conquests performed well enough. Again, I didn't sink in anymore than anyone else and they kept me from getting my legs soaking wet, which is what happened when I tried to sneak across a few patches of snow without donning the snowshoes.

      The first time I knelt down to strap on the snowshoes, I noticed that one of the straps was partially torn.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Partially Torn Strap">>
      Fortunately, the tear was above the hole that I use with my hiking boots, so I just had to be careful not to pull too hard on that side of the strap when tightening it. I can't be sure that the tear wasn't there the last time I wore the snowshoes, so I'm not positive that the tear happened while I was wearing them or if the strap was somehow cut in transit or storage. It's very possible that the strap was pinched between the crampons of the two snowshoes in the trunk of my car or while tied to my pack.

      During the somewhat limited use I was able to get out of the Conquest snowshoes this test period, I found no new limitations or capabilities. They performed as well as I have come to expect them to perform. The discovery of a tear in one of the straps after just six months of use is obviously not a good sign. However, the fact that I was able to continue my hike and the tear did not seem to get any worse points to a certain degree of durability.

      I will continue to use the Redfeather snowshoes during upcoming winter seasons for all kinds of snowshoeing trips, from day hikes to overnight hut trips.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • cdaignault
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
        Hi Nathan!

        No edits for you -- great report. I'm glad you were able to get at least one last hike in with these. I'll be interested to see if that tear gets any worse on the strap.

        Upload when ready -- thanks for a great test series!

        -- Chari