IR -TARPTENT SUBLITE SIL 2010 TENT - Carol

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2010
      Below is my IR for the Tarptent Sublite Sil. Also here: http://snipurl.com/wvg8z

      Carol

      TARPTENT SUBLITE SIL 2010 TENT
      TEST SERIES BY CAROL CROOKER
      IR
      May 28, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Carol Crooker
      EMAIL: cmcrooker AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: Phoenix, AZ
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)

      For the past 10 years, I've backpacked about 30 days each year, usually in Arizona and the western mountains on trips that last 3 to 6 days. Weather has varied from 107 F to a low of 0 F (42 to -18 C). My three-season base pack weight varies from about 8 to 12 pounds (4 - 5 kg) and my winter base pack weight is about 18 pounds (8 kg). I normally use a tarp for shelter. I also packraft (backpacking that includes travel by raft) and apply the same lightweight principles I use backpacking.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Manufacturer photo">>Manufacturer: Tarptent
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.tarptent.com">>
      MSRP: US$209
      Listed Weight: 24 oz (680 g)
      Sleeps: 1
      Height: 45 in (114 cm)
      Floor Area: 18.8 sq ft (1.75 sq m)
      Floor Width: 26/37/26 in (66/94/66 cm)
      Floor Length: 86 in (218 cm)
      Measured Weight: 23.5 oz (666 g) for tent and stuff sack; 1.5 oz (43 g) for stakes and stuff sack
      Other details: fully enclosed tent with mosquito netting, 4-stake setup, uses two trekking poles at least 53 in (135 cm) long, vestibule, adjustable venting and view options.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Sublite Sil (for silnylon) canopy is gray and the floor is black. The tent arrived in a silnylon stuff sack with four Easton aluminum stakes in their own, small stuff sack. After reading the one-page instructions, I set up the tent. The foot end of the tent has short vertical struts to provide more foot room and ventilation. The struts get staked out first. Next, trekking pole handles fit into small nylon canvas pockets, and the tips go into round, aluminum pole extenders at the apex of the tent. The poles must be extended to at least 135 cm (53 in) and the handles should be spread wide for maximum room inside. Lastly, the head end corners are staked out. There are various adjusters, including straps at the tip and handle of the poles to adjust to pole length. Two hook and loop strips on the front wall and one on the rear secure the poles to the tent body. The foot end tieouts can be adjusted at the top and bottom of each strut. The head end tieouts attach to an O-ring and the bottom edge of the tent can be adjusted independently of the edge a few inches (centimeters) from the bottom. This allows the bottom edge to be raised for more ventilation.

      Stepping back to take a look at the Sublite Sil, I can see that the floor is connected to the tent body with netting. There is a zippered netting door. The head end has a steep, nearly vertical slant and it appears there is plenty of height at the foot end so that my sleeping bag won't brush the ceiling. A silnylon door can be zipped closed or tied back with elastic. There is a small vestibule at the head end of the shelter.

      Next I pop inside to take a look around. There is a lot of room inside and plenty of sitting height. The floor can be adjusted so that it forms a bathtub or allowed to lie flatter for more ventilation. There are lots of small loops, mitten hooks, and toggles inside for various adjustments that I'll be exploring during field testing. The floor area is an elongated hexagon - basically a rectangle with pop outs on both sides. The pop out on the front wall is outside the netting and forms the vestibule. The pop out along the back wall is inside the tent and provides some extra space for gear, and possibly a small companion. My 5 year old niece has been helping by staying occupied with my dog while I set up the Sublite. I call her over and we find we can both fit inside, although it is a close fit. I will be taking her on an overnighter and will report on how well we fit in the tent for a whole night.

      I have tent poles that are 51 inches (130 cm) long, but Tarptent is not kidding when they say poles must be at least 53 in (135 cm) long. I don't see any way to adapt my poles to work with the tent. I will be taking the tent on a packraft trip and had hoped not to need to carry trekking poles just for the purpose of setting up my tent. Later, I try to imagineer setting up the Sublite using my paddle and spare paddle, but can't make it work.

      I quickly and sloppily seam seal the tent as recommended by a hand written note on the instructions in preparation for my imminent packraft trip to Utah. I notice several places where the stitching has ended, then is double sewn to start a new line of stitching. Some seams waver slightly back and forth instead of running in a straight line. The wavy seams affect the aesthetics but don't appear to functionally impact the tent.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The one page of instructions is clearly written with sufficient diagrams for clarification. There are numerous inside adjustments that can be made to the tent which are mentioned, but a more detailed accounting of what each button hook, loop, and toggle is for would be nice.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I describe a quick foray inside the tent in the Initial Impression section. I'll leave further descriptions for the Field Report.

      SUMMARY

      The Tarptent Sublite Sil appears to be quite roomy and comes in at a nice weight for a bug proof, single-person shelter.

      <b>What I like so far</b>:
      - Lots of room, including head room
      - Light weight for a fully enclosed, bug-proof shelter

      <b>What I don't like so far</b>:
      - Wavy seams
      - Requirement for very long poles
      - More explicit instructions on various adjustments would be nice

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2010
        Nice report
        As usual, EDIT - edit, edit - change to something like that, comment - just that.
        Upload when edits are done and delete from test folder.

        The Sublite Sil (for silnylon) canopy is gray and the floor is black.
        edit - is the floor nylon?  silnylon?  polyurethane coated nylon?  if you don't know then that's okay

        Next, trekking pole handles fit into small nylon canvas pockets,
        edit - canvas is cotton, maybe just delete it or replace with "thick" or something

        Later, I try to imagineer setting up the Sublite using my paddle and spare paddle, but can't make it work.
        edit - imagine?

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2010
          Hi Jerry,
          The term "nylon canvas" is used fairly commonly (see google), so I left that as is.

          I clarified that "imagineer" is imagine + engineer and that the whole tent is silnlyon.
          Thanks for the edits.
          Carol