Test call: Renegadorade for the thirsty

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2010
      If you are indeed a Renegade, thirsty for WP footwear to support your
      backcountry travels, but hungry for a stylish boot you can wear around
      town on your Zero days, BGT has just the test for you: the Lowa
      Renegade II GTX® Lo.

      http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3109524285&Category=3&Type=M

      These low-cuts boast a Gore-tex lining, Vibram soles, and come in
      sizes up to 15 for those of you sporting Big Boats.

      Details: newbie limit *does* apply, US shipping included, TV is the mod.

      Subject line: Application - Lowa Renegades - <your name here>
      Please CC me on your app, as I receive only the daily digest and its
      possible for me to miss you in there.
      I'd appreciate short apps with the following info clearly laid out up-front:

      0. BGT bylaw disclaimer
      1. Name
      2. Location including city, state, country
      3. e-mail addx (obfuscated)
      4. Height
      5. Weight
      6. Age
      7. Shoe size
      8. Apps pending
      9. Current load, i.e. URL of current test status (e.g.
      http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1789.htm)
      10. Test experience, i.e. URL of tests posted on BGT (e.g.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke)
      11. *Brief* description of hiking plans for next 4 months and how you
      might exercise the abilities of these shoes
      12. BGT Labor Of Love activities: monitor/editor, OR's in last year,
      call mgr, etc.

      Please apply early before the June 1st @ midnight MST call closure.

      Best Regards,
      --Kurt
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
        Please accept my application to test the Lowa Renegades Shoes.

        I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
        with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
        is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

        Biographical Information:
        Name: Michael Mosack
        Gender: Male
        San Diego, California, USA currently working in Afghanistan
        Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
        Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
        Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
        Age: 46
        Shoe Size US 14
        Applications pending - none
        Current load, i.e. URL of current test status
        Tester experience link - I am currently unable to access this from BGT as I am unable to log in today and get a 404 error message.

        Date: 1 June, 2010

        My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

        Testing plan: I have been working in Afghanistan for the past two years. The cloudless skies and full sun here heats us up to over 140F (60C) in the summer. The ground temperatures are even higher. I plan to be in Afghanistan primarily for the next year and will wear these shoes as my primary shoes throughout. I will also be making 2 five day backpacking trips to the Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone National Park during the next 4 months. I will test the shoes traction on rocky terrain in the desert conditions of Afghanistan, the waterproof capabilities of these shoes when I vacation in the Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone National Park in July. I will evaluate the construction and how the shoes hold up to the rigors of my travels and will have many miles on them. I feel that my test locations will provide me a wide range of terrain, weather and climate conditions and my use of these shoes as my primary (every day) shoes, will give me a wealth of testing opportunities that I can report on.

        Being in very high desert temps, I want to check the shoe's color fastness and ventilation for my feet. I will test these shoes in various situations by checking construction, adhesion, and quality of manufacturing. I want to see if the soles will come apart from the body of the shoe in this heat which is a common issue I deal with during the Afghanistan summer.

        Previously Written Reports
        Owner Reviews: My last three completed Owner Reviews are below.
        1.. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
        2.. Petzl Taktikka LED headlamp
        3.. McNett Microfiber towel

        Completed tests: None
        Tests I am monitoring: None

        Current Tests: Stuffitts Shoe Savers - LTR due Jun 15th 2010.
        Selected to test the Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight - FR due Jun 15th 2010.
        Sock Guy MTN-Tech Hiker - FR not due until mid July I believe.
        OR Helios Sun Hat - Awaiting delivery of product

        Labors of love - Volunteered to become an editor, but need 3 completed tests first so I am working on it.

        Thank you for your time and consideration!
        Mike Mosack