APPLICATION -- HIGH GEAR AXIO MAX -- STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2010
      Please accept my application to test the High Gear Axio Max. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (version 0609) and I agree to abide by and meet all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement on file.

      Backpacking Background:

      NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 37
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)

      I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last two years I have gained a renewed enthusiasm for the back country. I generally go on one or two night outings and now try to average a 30 lb (14 kg) pack. However, a comfortable riding pack is more important to me than the overall weight I'm carrying. I occasionally sleep in the open air, but most often sleep in a lightweight free standing tent.

      Test Plan:

      My test locations this spring/summer are planned for the George Washington National Forest in Virginia, Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee and multiple trips to the South Cumberland Recreational Area (SCRA) in Tennessee and Land between the Lakes along the Tennessee/Kentucky border. Temperatures will average from the 70'F (21 C) to the 90's F (32 C). Elevations range from 1500 ft (457 m) to 5000 ft (1524 m).

      As a newbie my selection expectations are not too high for the piece of gear, but as the owner of a Suunto Core I'm truly interested in the accuracy of this new multifunction watch. I know weather can affect the altimeter reading and calibration is an expectation, but how accurate is the Axio Max. Will running a few compass bearings reduce battery life…as this is a feature I love to toy with. The 12 hour forecast is a feature I've not previously seen…how accurate is this feature? Durability…I move, talk and swing my arms a great deal, and in doing so I have cracked more than one watch crystal. Will the Axio Max stand up to my unintentional abuse? How does body temperature affect the thermometer…can I reliably add "X" degrees to get the current temp, or do I need to remove the watch for a specific amount of time to get a reading? I'd love the opportunity to dig into these questions.

      Summary Page:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ftroop94

      Test Load:

      Outstanding Applications:

      High Sierra Summit 45
      OR Helios Sun Hat
      OR Dune Shirt

      Roles:

      Newbie

      Thanks in advance to considering my application.

      Steve Kidd –05 May 2010