Application - OR Ferrosi Shorts - Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2010
      Application – OR Ferrosi Shorts – Brian Hartman
      Please accept my application to test the Outdoor Research Ferrosi Shorts.  I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, including Chapters 4, 5 and 6, and I will follow all requirements.  I have also completed the tester agreement and submitted it as required.  I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements for this test.

      Tester Bio
      Name:  Brian Hartman
      Age: 42
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9" (1.7 Meters)
      Weight: 145 Pounds (66 Kilograms)
      Email address: bhart1426 at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Noblesville, Indiana, U.S.
      Date: May 4, 2010

      Backpacking Background:  I started backpacking as a teenager in Boy Scouts.  I enjoy hiking on-trail with family and friends but my favorite pastime is blazing paths through heavily wooded forests.  I typically go on several weekend trips per month, and at least one or two week long trips per year.  I am moving towards lighter weight gear but still have a ways to go.  I take a tent and sleeping pad on most of my outings along with a stove for cooking.  My current focus is on lighter weight clothing which should reduce my overall pack weight.
      Test Plan: I love the simple styling of the Ferrosi shorts and am excited about the opportunity to put them to the test.  I enjoy hiking in shorts while on-trail, especially during the Midwest's hot, humid summer months.  Having previously owned a pair of heavy nylon shorts, my first concern is whether the Ferrosi shorts are breathable and can effectively wick the sweat produced from strenuous activity.  I am also anxious to find out whether the nylon fabric is durable and stain resistant.  This is of particular concern to me as I've found other shorts tend to develop permanent stains from exposure to sunscreen and mosquito repellant.  Finally and arguably most important, I will evaluate their fit.  The fact that they only come in S, M, L and XL sizes versus individual waist sizes may be an issue for some people.  My testing this summer will take place throughout the Midwest and will include backpacking trips to Northern Ohio, Southern
      Indiana and quite possibly Wisconsin.  I have several weekend trips planned as early as Memorial Day weekend as well as a 4 day trip in mid June.
      I am very excited at the opportunity to test the OR Ferrosi Shorts.  Thank you for considering my application and thanks to Outdoor Research for providing these shorts for testing.
      Applications pending: None
      Tests in progress: 4 (soon to be 2)
      1.     Jansport Klamath – LTR (complete on May 11)
      2.     Eureka sleeping bag – LTR (complete on May 18)
      3.   Tilley hat - FR
      4.   Five Ten Boots - Waiting for arrival

      Previous reports: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/crazycamper
      Status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1849.htm%c2%a0
      All of my reports and uploads have been submitted on time.

      Thank you,
      Brian Hartman