Reminder - Test call: OR Drycomp Ridge sack

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2010
      I am a little concerned that I have yet to see a single app come in
      for this pack. I thought it was a very innovative piece of gear and I
      would be deluged! I know we've had a number of test calls for packs,
      but in the polling we've done packs, bags, stoves and shelters are
      what the testers claim they want.

      If you've been hanging back applying for this test please start writing!

      --Kurt

      On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Kurt Papke <kwpapke@...> wrote:
      > Two (2) lucky testers will have a chance to test this new OR
      > waterproof lightweight day pack:
      >
      >  http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_ridge_sack.html
      >
      > Looks perfect for peak bagging, particularly in wet climes (pun
      > intended), canoeing/kayaking or maybe canyoneering.  At just a pound
      > for a 34L pack, its suitable for you UL fanatics.  Details: newbie
      > limit *does* apply, US shipping included, TV is the mod.
      >
      > Subject line: Application - OR Drycomp Ridge sack - <your name here>
      >
      > I'd appreciate short apps with the following info clearly laid out up-front:
      >
      > 0. BGT bylaw disclaimer
      > 1. Name
      > 2. Location including city, state, country
      > 3. e-mail addx (obfuscated)
      > 4. Height
      > 5. Weight
      > 6. Age
      > 7. Torso length (the web page does not specify torso fits)
      > 8. Apps pending
      > 9. Current load, i.e. URL of current test status (e.g.
      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1789.htm)
      > 10. Test experience, i.e. URL of tests posted on BGT (e.g.
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke)
      > 11. *Brief* description of hiking plans for next 4 months and how you
      > might exercise the abilities of this pack
      > 12. BGT Labor Of Love activities: monitor/editor, OR's in last year,
      > call mgr, etc.
      >
      > Please apply early before the May 5th @ midnight MST call closure.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > --Kurt

    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2010
        Kurt,
        Do you really need the torso measurement when this pack only comes in one size? I am working in Afghanistan, so I figured I was not really in the proper testing group, but you will have my app within the hour and I will be more than happy to test this as best as I can.
        Mike

        I am a little concerned that I have yet to see a single app come in
        for this pack. I thought it was a very innovative piece of gear and I
        would be deluged! I know we've had a number of test calls for packs,
        but in the polling we've done packs, bags, stoves and shelters are
        what the testers claim they want.

        If you've been hanging back applying for this test please start writing!

        --Kurt

        On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Kurt Papke <kwpapke@...> wrote:
        > Two (2) lucky testers will have a chance to test this new OR
        > waterproof lightweight day pack:
        >
        > http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_ridge_sack.html
        >
        > Looks perfect for peak bagging, particularly in wet climes (pun
        > intended), canoeing/kayaking or maybe canyoneering. At just a pound
        > for a 34L pack, its suitable for you UL fanatics. Details: newbie
        > limit *does* apply, US shipping included, TV is the mod.
        >
        > Subject line: Application - OR Drycomp Ridge sack - <your name here>
        >
        > I'd appreciate short apps with the following info clearly laid out up-front:
        >
        > 0. BGT bylaw disclaimer
        > 1. Name
        > 2. Location including city, state, country
        > 3. e-mail addx (obfuscated)
        > 4. Height
        > 5. Weight
        > 6. Age
        > 7. Torso length (the web page does not specify torso fits)
        > 8. Apps pending
        > 9. Current load, i.e. URL of current test status (e.g.
        > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1789.htm)
        > 10. Test experience, i.e. URL of tests posted on BGT (e.g.
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke)
        > 11. *Brief* description of hiking plans for next 4 months and how you
        > might exercise the abilities of this pack
        > 12. BGT Labor Of Love activities: monitor/editor, OR's in last year,
        > call mgr, etc.
        >
        > Please apply early before the May 5th @ midnight MST call closure.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > --Kurt

      • Mike Mosack
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2010
          Please accept my application to test the OR Drycomp Ridge sack . If selected, I will give it the best test I can.

          I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
          with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
          is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

          Biographical Information:
          Name: Michael Mosack
          Age: 46
          Torso Length: 19.5"
          Gender: Male
          Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
          Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
          Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
          San Diego, California, USA currently working in Afghanistan

          Date: 3 May, 2010

          My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

          Testing plan: I have been working in Afghanistan for the past two years. The cloudless skies and full sun here heats us up to over 140F (60C) in the summer. In this heat, I try to pack as light as I can. I will test the pack's strength to weight ratio. How much weight can it comfortably hold against my shoulders and its seams. I will test the waterproof capabilities of this pack when I vacation in the Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone National Park in June. As a back up I can test this in a local river by immersion. This pack sports a hydration pocket which is a very welcome feature as I take water with me everywhere I go. I will test this by checking the ease of changing out or accessing for refilling an inserted water bladder. I have never had a dry bag before so my being a novice to them, I will test the ease of closing and ensuring that it doesn't leak through the top roll.

          I live out of my pack so packability and durability of the pack is important, since it will be with me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Will the color fade in the bright unyielding desert sun? Being in very high desert temps, I want to check the pack's ventilation or breathability against my back, if any. I will test this pack in various situations by checking construction, convenience, packability, and quality of manufacturing.

          My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the OR Drycomp Ridge sack during my daily adventures here in Afghanistan. Over the past 20 months, I have over 500 days/nights in the field. Additionally, I have upcoming trips planned when I get my vacation for Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone in June/July.

          My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

          Previously Written Reports
          Owner Reviews: My last three completed Owner Reviews are below.
          1.. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
          2.. Petzl Taktikka LED headlamp
          3.. McNett Microfiber towel

          Completed tests: None

          Tests I am monitoring: None

          Current Tests: Stuffitts Shoe Savers - FR completed; LTR due Jun 15th 2010.
          Selected to test the Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight - IR completed; FR due Jun 15th 2010.
          Sock Guy MTN-Tech Hiker - IR submitted Apr 30 and awaiting edits.

          Current Applications submitted - OR Helios Sun Hat
          Labors of love - Volunteered to become an editor, but need 3 completed tests first so I am working on it.

          Thank you for your time and consideration!
          Mike Mosack

          I am a little concerned that I have yet to see a single app come in
          for this pack. I thought it was a very innovative piece of gear and I
          would be deluged! I know we've had a number of test calls for packs,
          but in the polling we've done packs, bags, stoves and shelters are
          what the testers claim they want.

          If you've been hanging back applying for this test please start writing!

          --Kurt

          On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Kurt Papke <kwpapke@...> wrote:
          > Two (2) lucky testers will have a chance to test this new OR
          > waterproof lightweight day pack:
          >
          > http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_ridge_sack.html
          >
          > Looks perfect for peak bagging, particularly in wet climes (pun
          > intended), canoeing/kayaking or maybe canyoneering. At just a pound
          > for a 34L pack, its suitable for you UL fanatics. Details: newbie
          > limit *does* apply, US shipping included, TV is the mod.
          >
          > Subject line: Application - OR Drycomp Ridge sack - <your name here>
          >
          > I'd appreciate short apps with the following info clearly laid out up-front:
          >
          > 0. BGT bylaw disclaimer
          > 1. Name
          > 2. Location including city, state, country
          > 3. e-mail addx (obfuscated)
          > 4. Height
          > 5. Weight
          > 6. Age
          > 7. Torso length (the web page does not specify torso fits)
          > 8. Apps pending
          > 9. Current load, i.e. URL of current test status (e.g.
          > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1789.htm)
          > 10. Test experience, i.e. URL of tests posted on BGT (e.g.
          > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke)
          > 11. *Brief* description of hiking plans for next 4 months and how you
          > might exercise the abilities of this pack
          > 12. BGT Labor Of Love activities: monitor/editor, OR's in last year,
          > call mgr, etc.
          >
          > Please apply early before the May 5th @ midnight MST call closure.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > --Kurt

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2010
            Hi Kurt,

            I applied back on Apr 27 (64431).

            Thanks,
            Jamie D

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Papke <kwpapke@...> wrote:

            > I am a little concerned that I have yet to see a single app come in
            > for this pack. I thought it was a very innovative piece of gear and I
            > would be deluged! I know we've had a number of test calls for packs,
            > but in the polling we've done packs, bags, stoves and shelters are
            > what the testers claim they want.
            >
            > If you've been hanging back applying for this test please start writing!
            >
            > --Kurt
            >
            > On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Kurt Papke <kwpapke@...> wrote:
            > > Two (2) lucky testers will have a chance to test this new OR
            > > waterproof lightweight day pack:
            > >
            > > �http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_ridge_sack.html
            > >
            > > Looks perfect for peak bagging, particularly in wet climes (pun
            > > intended), canoeing/kayaking or maybe canyoneering. �At just a pound
            > > for a 34L pack, its suitable for you UL fanatics. �Details: newbie
            > > limit *does* apply, US shipping included, TV is the mod.
            > >
            > > Subject line: Application - OR Drycomp Ridge sack - <your name here>
            > >
            > > I'd appreciate short apps with the following info clearly laid out up-front:
            > >
            > > 0. BGT bylaw disclaimer
            > > 1. Name
            > > 2. Location including city, state, country
            > > 3. e-mail addx (obfuscated)
            > > 4. Height
            > > 5. Weight
            > > 6. Age
            > > 7. Torso length (the web page does not specify torso fits)
            > > 8. Apps pending
            > > 9. Current load, i.e. URL of current test status (e.g.
            > > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1789.htm)
            > > 10. Test experience, i.e. URL of tests posted on BGT (e.g.
            > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke)
            > > 11. *Brief* description of hiking plans for next 4 months and how you
            > > might exercise the abilities of this pack
            > > 12. BGT Labor Of Love activities: monitor/editor, OR's in last year,
            > > call mgr, etc.
            > >
            > > Please apply early before the May 5th @ midnight MST call closure.
            > >
            > > Best Regards,
            > > --Kurt

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2010
              I submitted my application for this too, please see message number #64523, if I was missed
              Thanks!
              Mike Mosack