RE: [backpackgeartesters] TEST CALL-WHO IS AFRAID OF SKIN CANCER?

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3 6:14 AM
      Hi Ralph,

      Can you please confirm "US Shipping only" or should that be "US Shipping
      included" i.e are non-US testers able to apply and have the item on-shipped?
      I assume yes as you list an Australian closing time, just want to confirm.

      Cheers

      Mark

      Message 2 of 6 , May 3 6:25 AM
        Hi Mark,

        It is US shipping included. You can apply.

        You would have to pay the on cost to Aus.

        Yes, it is an Australian closing time. Give the cousins something to work
        out.

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 6 , May 3 6:34 AM
          Thanks Ralph,

          Great

          Cheers

          From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

          From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , May 3 7:28 AM
            Please accept my application to test the OR Helios Sun Hat. If selected, I would prefer the "sand" color in an XL size please.

            I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
            with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
            is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

            Biographical Information:
            Name: Michael Mosack
            Age: 46
            Gender: Male
            Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
            Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
            Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
            San Diego, California, USA

            Date: 3 May, 2010

            My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

            Testing plan: I wear a hat constantly. I am fair skinned and have been working in Afghanistan for the past two years. The cloudless skies and full sun here heats us up to over 140F (60C) in the summer. I usually wear a ball cap or a military style boonie cap with a full brim. I am interested in the lighter color reflecting the sun, the weight of the hat and if it feels cool while worn or if it transmits the heat to the wearer. I want to test the moisture management system as I tend to sweat a lot around my forehead. So I also want to test the ease of cleaning this hat while in the field. I live out of my pack so packability of the hat is important, but since it'll probably be on my head 18-23 hours a day, comfort will be my primary concern.Will the color fade in the bright unyielding desert sun? Being in very high desert temps, I want to check the hat's ventilation and wicking design and my ability to remain cool and dry under it.

            I will test this hat in various situations by checking construction, convenience, and quality of manufacturing.

            My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the OR Helios Sun Hat during my daily adventures here in Afghanistan. Over the past 20 months, I have over 500 days/nights in the field. Additionally, I have upcoming trips planned when I get my vacation for Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone in June/July.

            My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

            Previously Written Reports
            Owner Reviews: My last three completed Owner Reviews are below.
            1.. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
            2.. Petzl Taktikka LED headlamp
            3.. McNett Microfiber towel

            Completed Tests: None

            Tests you are Monitoring: None

            REPORTS USED FOR TESTER STATISTICS - REPORT POSTINGS - REPORTS EXCLUDED BY ADMIN ARE NOT SHOWN
            SCORES OF -1 INDICATE REPORT POSTED ON TIME OR EARLY

            DUE POSTED SCORE TYPE TEST
            Apr 15, 2010 Apr 10, 2010 -1 FR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS
            Apr 03, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 -1 IR EUREKA! - GLIDE 51 LANTERN/FLASHLIGHT
            Feb 11, 2010 Feb 08, 2010 -1 IR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS

            REPORTS USED FOR TESTER STATISTICS - REPORT UPLOADS - REPORTS EXCLUDED BY ADMIN ARE NOT SHOWN
            SCORES OF -1 INDICATE REPORT UPLOADED ON TIME OR EARLY

            EDITED UPLOADED SCORE TYPE TEST
            Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010 -1 FR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS
            Mar 29, 2010 Mar 30, 2010 -1 IR EUREKA! - GLIDE 51 LANTERN/FLASHLIGHT
            Feb 16, 2010 Feb 09, 2010 -1 IR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS

            Current Tests: Stuffitts Shoe Savers - FR completed; LTR due Jun 15th 2010.
            Selected to test the Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight - IR completed; FR due Jun 15th 2010.
            Sock Guy MTN-Tech Hiker - IR submitted Apr 30 and awaiting edits.

            Current Applications submitted - None

            Labors of love - Volunteered to become an editor, but need 3 completed tests first so I am working on it.

            Thank you for your time and consideration!
            Mike Mosack

            Message 5 of 6 , May 7 12:28 PM
              Ralph,

              Please accept my application for this hat.

              1. DISCLOSURE

              I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v.
              0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities.
              My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

              2. MY BRIEF BIO

              Name - Derek Hansen
              Age - 34
              Gender - Male
              Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
              Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
              Zmail Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
              Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

              I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of
              15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current
              backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast.

              3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

              This past week I spent a morning doing a video shoot, only to come
              home with a beautiful sunburn on my head. I normally don't burn so
              quickly, but living at 7000 ft (2133 m) elevation, I'm learning the
              hard way to keep covered at all times. My wife added her encouragement
              that I apply for this head protection.

              The Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat boasts a remarkable UPF 50+, which
              is supposed to protect me from intense sunlight exposure. I think I
              can give the Helios a good run in the higher altitudes and base
              elevation in northern Arizona.

              The nylon ripstop fabric with moisture management will also help
              contain sweat, and I'm particularly interested in the hat's ability to
              float. I'm planning a few canyoneering treks this summer and having a
              hat that can float might come in handy.

              4. PREVIOUS REPORTS

              > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

              > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

              20 reports @ -1

              6. CURRENT TESTS

              * GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Cookware - FR due July (est)
              * TEVA Itunda Sandal - FR due June 22
              * High Sierra Col 35 Backpack - FR due June 15
              * Bridgedale Bamboo Crew Socks - FR due July (est)

              7. APPLICATIONS PENDING

              I do not have any other applications pending.

              8. EXTRA DUTIES, LABORS OF LOVE

              > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

              I am a test monitor/editor. I am also working on the BGT web
              development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest
              website. This is an on-again, off-again project.

              Best,

              ~derek