TEST CALL-WHO IS AFRAID OF SKIN CANCER?

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2010
      If you are afraid of skin cancer and have skin that easily burns, then this
      hat is for you.

      Three testers have the chance to try out the following from Outdoor
      Research:

      The Helios Sun Hat

      Have a look at the following site:

      <http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/helios_sun_hat.html>
      http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/helios_sun_hat.html

      Newbie limit DOES NOT APPLY, so you new testers get on board with this.

      US shipping only

      Curt is the mod.

      The nitty gritty.

      1) The disclaimer for testing.

      2) Your bio.

      3) A reasonably short test plan that shows that you have a good
      understanding of the product. Your testing locations/conditions.

      4) A clickable link to your previous test/OR's and Tester Detail
      Tracking Page (BridGet)

      5) List your Report Postings and Report Uploads. E.g. 9 @ -1. 1 @ 1. It
      is at the foot of your Tester Detail Tracking Page if you have had any
      previous tests.

      6) What you are already testing and at what stage with dates.

      7) Any outstanding applications.

      8) Any labour of love roles for BGT that you do. (Mentor, Monitor,
      etc.)

      I want to see OR Helios Sun Hat in the subject line.

      The call will close at midnight (WST Australia) Wednesday 12.th May, 2010.
      Do a bit of research. (Hint. California is 15 hrs behind)

      Ralph Ditton

      Test Call Mnager

    • Mark McLauchlin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2010
        Hi Ralph,

        Can you please confirm "US Shipping only" or should that be "US Shipping
        included" i.e are non-US testers able to apply and have the item on-shipped?
        I assume yes as you list an Australian closing time, just want to confirm.

        Cheers

        Mark

        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2010
          Hi Mark,

          It is US shipping included. You can apply.

          You would have to pay the on cost to Aus.

          Yes, it is an Australian closing time. Give the cousins something to work
          out.

          Cheers

          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2010
            Thanks Ralph,

            Great

            Cheers

            From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

            From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2010
              Please accept my application to test the OR Helios Sun Hat. If selected, I would prefer the "sand" color in an XL size please.

              I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
              with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
              is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

              Biographical Information:
              Name: Michael Mosack
              Age: 46
              Gender: Male
              Height: 6'01" (1.85 m)
              Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
              Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
              San Diego, California, USA

              Date: 3 May, 2010

              My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

              Testing plan: I wear a hat constantly. I am fair skinned and have been working in Afghanistan for the past two years. The cloudless skies and full sun here heats us up to over 140F (60C) in the summer. I usually wear a ball cap or a military style boonie cap with a full brim. I am interested in the lighter color reflecting the sun, the weight of the hat and if it feels cool while worn or if it transmits the heat to the wearer. I want to test the moisture management system as I tend to sweat a lot around my forehead. So I also want to test the ease of cleaning this hat while in the field. I live out of my pack so packability of the hat is important, but since it'll probably be on my head 18-23 hours a day, comfort will be my primary concern.Will the color fade in the bright unyielding desert sun? Being in very high desert temps, I want to check the hat's ventilation and wicking design and my ability to remain cool and dry under it.

              I will test this hat in various situations by checking construction, convenience, and quality of manufacturing.

              My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains. I plan to use the OR Helios Sun Hat during my daily adventures here in Afghanistan. Over the past 20 months, I have over 500 days/nights in the field. Additionally, I have upcoming trips planned when I get my vacation for Sierra Nevadas and Yellowstone in June/July.

              My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

              Previously Written Reports
              Owner Reviews: My last three completed Owner Reviews are below.
              1.. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
              2.. Petzl Taktikka LED headlamp
              3.. McNett Microfiber towel

              Completed Tests: None

              Tests you are Monitoring: None

              REPORTS USED FOR TESTER STATISTICS - REPORT POSTINGS - REPORTS EXCLUDED BY ADMIN ARE NOT SHOWN
              SCORES OF -1 INDICATE REPORT POSTED ON TIME OR EARLY

              DUE POSTED SCORE TYPE TEST
              Apr 15, 2010 Apr 10, 2010 -1 FR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS
              Apr 03, 2010 Mar 28, 2010 -1 IR EUREKA! - GLIDE 51 LANTERN/FLASHLIGHT
              Feb 11, 2010 Feb 08, 2010 -1 IR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS

              REPORTS USED FOR TESTER STATISTICS - REPORT UPLOADS - REPORTS EXCLUDED BY ADMIN ARE NOT SHOWN
              SCORES OF -1 INDICATE REPORT UPLOADED ON TIME OR EARLY

              EDITED UPLOADED SCORE TYPE TEST
              Apr 12, 2010 Apr 12, 2010 -1 FR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS
              Mar 29, 2010 Mar 30, 2010 -1 IR EUREKA! - GLIDE 51 LANTERN/FLASHLIGHT
              Feb 16, 2010 Feb 09, 2010 -1 IR STUFFITTS SHOE SAVERS - SHOE SAVERS

              Current Tests: Stuffitts Shoe Savers - FR completed; LTR due Jun 15th 2010.
              Selected to test the Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight - IR completed; FR due Jun 15th 2010.
              Sock Guy MTN-Tech Hiker - IR submitted Apr 30 and awaiting edits.

              Current Applications submitted - None

              Labors of love - Volunteered to become an editor, but need 3 completed tests first so I am working on it.

              Thank you for your time and consideration!
              Mike Mosack

              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2010
                Ralph,

                Please accept my application for this hat.

                1. DISCLOSURE

                I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v.
                0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities.
                My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

                2. MY BRIEF BIO

                Name - Derek Hansen
                Age - 34
                Gender - Male
                Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
                Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
                Zmail Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
                Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

                I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of
                15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current
                backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast.

                3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

                This past week I spent a morning doing a video shoot, only to come
                home with a beautiful sunburn on my head. I normally don't burn so
                quickly, but living at 7000 ft (2133 m) elevation, I'm learning the
                hard way to keep covered at all times. My wife added her encouragement
                that I apply for this head protection.

                The Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat boasts a remarkable UPF 50+, which
                is supposed to protect me from intense sunlight exposure. I think I
                can give the Helios a good run in the higher altitudes and base
                elevation in northern Arizona.

                The nylon ripstop fabric with moisture management will also help
                contain sweat, and I'm particularly interested in the hat's ability to
                float. I'm planning a few canyoneering treks this summer and having a
                hat that can float might come in handy.

                4. PREVIOUS REPORTS

                > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

                > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

                20 reports @ -1

                6. CURRENT TESTS

                * GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Cookware - FR due July (est)
                * TEVA Itunda Sandal - FR due June 22
                * High Sierra Col 35 Backpack - FR due June 15
                * Bridgedale Bamboo Crew Socks - FR due July (est)

                7. APPLICATIONS PENDING

                I do not have any other applications pending.

                8. EXTRA DUTIES, LABORS OF LOVE

                > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

                I am a test monitor/editor. I am also working on the BGT web
                development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest
                website. This is an on-again, off-again project.

                Best,

                ~derek