IR La Sportiva FC ECO 2.0 GTX Shoes - Katie Rompala

  • Kevin and Katie Rompala
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 11:16 PM
      Tom,
      I'm having trouble uploading to the site (it just won't upload...this happens all the time....any way around it?), so I'm sending out just the text right now and will try again in the morning. Sorry for the inconvenience! (Just have to get to sleep!)
      - Katie
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      La Sportiva FC ECO 2.0 GTX ShoesTest Series by Katie Rompala

      Initial Report
      Field Report
      Long-term Report

      TESTER INFORMATION
      Name: Katie Rompala
      Age: 28
      Gender: F
      Height: 5'11" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 145 lb (66 kg)
      Email: krstull [AT] gmail.com
      City, State, Country: Dillon, Montana, USA

      BACKGROUNDI've been hiking since I was young. Current activities include car-camping and medium to long hikes in the Utah red rock, and hiking and snowshoe trips in the West. Southwest Montana is my current base for weekend trips in the area, while vacation time is usually dedicated to ~10 day trips to west-coast national parks and other wilderness spots. I hope to plan more backcountry trips in the future. For now, I don't worry much about lightweight packing, since I'm more involved in day hikes than overnights and therefore carry less. I enjoy cycling and running.

      INITIAL REVIEWMay 2, 2010

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: La Sportiva
      Year of Manufacture: 2010?
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sportiva.com/
      MSRP: $140 US
      Listed Weight: 14.14 oz (401 g) per shoe
      Measured Weight: 16.75 oz (475 g) per shoe
      Size: 42 (10 US)
      Color: Mocha/Mint
      Material: Nubuck Leather and 100% recycled Nylon Mesh/ Uretech (Upper); Gore-Tex®/Dri-Lex® Bristol and 40% Recycled Nylon (Lining); Dual-density ECO Trailon/ 2mm LaSpEVA/ TPU shank (Midsole); Vibram® (Sole)

      [Image: Overall View]

      First Impressions: Upon opening the box, I was struck by how durable these shoes felt. They almost felt too stiff, and I was worried this would detract from my comfort in these shoes. My fears were allayed once I put the shoes on. These things are comfortable! Plus, these are super stylish. The alternating colors of the Gore-Tex and nylon give these a nice look, as does the  La Sportiva mountain design.

      [Image: Vibram Sole]

      Construction: The tongue feels thick and stiff, as does the sole, which is reinforced by a thick layer of heavy-duty Vibram® that wraps around to the toes and heel with an "Impact brake system" of diagonal lugs for traction and control. Mesh lines the tongue and insides of the shoes, and the outside is made with a combination of Gore-Tex-lined leather and recycled nylon. The foot pad features a "Fit-thonic" cushion system, though it does not feel like heavy padding.

      [Image: Laces]

      Double stitching reinforces all seams, and the shoes tie with a five-hole lace system with nice thick laces.

      [Image: Heel Loop]

      There is also an extra loop on the heel, which is helpful when pulling the shoes on.

      Sizing and Comfort: These shoes fit true to size. I considered going up half a size from my normal size 10 to account for foot swelling on hikes. But I don't think this will be necessary, as I have ample toe room at the front of the shoes. I feel no rubbing against my feet, except slight amounts on my heel. The pads of my feet feel comfortable in the cushioning system, and my ankles do not chafe against the tops of the shoes.

      Initial Test: I've worn these about 10 miles around town and in the field this weekend. So far these shoes are quite comfortable. I have one small spot on the back of my right heel that has been rubbed and is close to blistering.  I hope this will be less of an issue as I wear in the shoes.  I have not yet encountered conditions where I could evaluate waterproofing, breathability, or the Vibram soles, but my forthcoming trip to Utah should put these features to test!

      Overall:

      PROS

      Durable
      Stylish
      Comfortable
      Great fit

      CONS

      Slight blister on heel, but otherwise, so far, so good!

      Thank you to La Sportiva and BackpackGearTest for the opportunity to test these shoes.
      FIELD REPORTJuly 2010

      LONG TERM REPORTSeptember 2010

    • tcallahanbgt
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6 9:58 PM
        Katie,
        Your IR looks good. No edits to the text. The close up pics of the shoes are really nice. What it needs though is a pic of an entire shoe. As a reader, from looking at your individual pics I don't have a sense of the look of the whole shoe. So please add that in and post when ready. You can do this with your own pic, or you can use a pic from the web site, being sure to credit La Sportive.

        Again, nice IR.
        Tom