IR Oboz Contour Shoes Jenn K.

  • jennbgt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2010
      Kurt

      Here is my IR for the Oboz Contour Shoes. Thank you in advance for any edits.

      Jenn

      The HTML can be found here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Oboz%20Contours%20Jenn%20K./

      Oboz Contour- Women's Multisport Shoe
      Test Report by Jennifer Koles
      May 3, 2010

      Skip to my Initial Report- May 3, 2010

      Personal Information
      Name: Jennifer Koles
      Age: 35
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Orange County, California, United States

      Backpacking Background
      After getting into the outdoors scene camping while 4-wheeling and day-hiking, I switched to backpacking in the early 2000's. I have backpacked extensively in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho along with California, Pennsylvania and Nevada. I have slowly been cutting my base weight to be able to go longer in duration and distance. I have done so mainly by using better gear and dumping heavy luxuries. I backpack year round in all weather, and usually take a free standing tent and a gas stove on all my trips. I love trying out new gear.

      The author in the Narrows at Zion National Park, Utah.

      Initial Report
      May 3, 2010

      Product Information and Description
      Product: Women's Contour (20802)
      Manufacturer: Oboz
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer Website: www.obozfootwear.com

      Listed Weight on Website: 12.2 oz
      Actual Weight: 13.10 oz
      Sizes Available: Women's 6-11 (half sizes and a men's model available)
      Size Tested: Women's 9

      Available Colors: Mint
      Color Tested: Mint

      MSRP: $110.00 US
      Warranty: One year

      When these shoes are purchased, Oboz has planted a tree in partnership with Trees for the Future.

      The Women's Contours are a multisport shoe manufactured by Oboz; a company based in Bozeman Montana U.S.A. The Contour model is available in both a men's and women's version. At a first glance I found that the Contours are unique since they have a bootie type of construction with no shoe tongue. But, they have some other unique qualities.

      The uppers of the Contours are made of two color tones of Nubuck leather (tan and brown) and abrasion-resistant mint green mesh panels for breathability. There is no rubber toe cap on the Contours and that makes me wonder how the toe area will look after a few uses. I generally kick a bunch of rocks and logs while hiking, mostly because I am a klutz. There is a small portion of rubber on the center of the toe area, but it does not protect the entire toe box. The uppers also have a Nubuck strip with a nylon pull tab. This is located in the center of the laces and has a vertical orientation to the shoe. The nylon pull tap is large enough for me to fit my finger through with some extra room. There are eight Nubuck lace loops and two plastic lace loops on each shoe. The plastic lace loops are secured by grommets. There is also a nylon pull tab on the heel of the shoe. This one is large enough for me to get two fingers through. I think that is great, because many times the pull tabs are too small and I end up injuring my fingers trying to get my shoes on. The inside of the Contours have a nylon mesh lining designed to wick away moisture and dry quickly.

      The mid-sole of the Contours have four parts. They have dual densities of EVA to provide cushioning and forefoot plates to protect from stone bruising. The Contours have (TPU) thermoplastic urethane arch shanks and nylon mid-foot shanks to offer torsional stability and support. The shoe also has a full forefoot ESS sheet.

      The soles of the shoes are a high friction carbon rubber compound, which is proprietary to Oboz. The Oboz shoes are made with as little rubber as possible to cut down on the weight of the shoes. The soles of the Contours are made of non-marking black rubber, with some green rubber accents. There are both braking and propulsional, beefy lugs on the soles. Something really neat about the soles of the Contours; on the base rubber (where the lugs are not placed) is a pattern in the rubber of a topographic map. I think that is a cool idea. Even though people will not be able to see this detail in the rubber, I like the idea of the extra craftsmanship that went into creating this added detail.

      The Contours also have a Storbel last. This is a form of slip lasting where the upper is stitched around the perimeter of the foot but no board is inserted. This type of last is designed to provide good stability.

      The Contours are designed with what is called BFit Deluxe Insoles. The manufacturer states the following on their website. "The BFit Deluxe insole has a well defined arch that is positioned to support and relax the Transverse Arch. It also has a shaped heel pocket to keep the foot centered properly inside the shoe. The BFit Deluxe is composed of an EVA resin that will maintain shape over time. There are two pockets of softer EVA under the heel and forefoot for cushioning, and perforations that open into channels on the underside of the insole that allow for breathability and air flow."

      Initial Impressions
      I took a glance at the Oboz website prior to receiving the shoes. Unfortunately I could not view the features; I think this is because of my firewall settings.

      At a first look at the Contours they are beautifully crafted and do not have any manufacturing defects. The color combination looks great in my opinion.

      I was skeptical of the bootie construction, with no tongue in the shoe to allow for more room when putting on the shoes. However, using the pull tab I get enough stretch in the bootie to slide the shoe on my foot. The shoes fit like a glove and thus far the top of the bootie is not constricting my foot at rest. But, I have four months of testing ahead of me with the Contours.

      Things That Rock:

      Initial fit is good
      Easy to slip on
      Things That Are So-So:

      Nothing yet

      Remarks

      This concludes my field reporting on the Oboz Contour Multisport Shoes. Thank you Oboz and backpackgeartest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.

      Check back in July to see how the Contours are working out for me.