REPOST - SockGuy MTN-Tech Hiker - DLarsen

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2010
      Thanks for the edits. This is my first sock test, so I wasn't sure how much to say. I changed it substantially. I also added a picture and hope that it adds to and makes the description clearer. As far as the two pictures go, I decreased the size. However, when I checked before the first post, I didn't have to scroll so I hope the resizing makes it small enough. The url is: http://tinyurl.com/y76nl5g

      Dawn

      SockGuy MTN-Tech Hiker Socks
      Test Report

      Initial Report

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 49
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT yahoo DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last few years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for twelve years and I have kayak/canoe camped for five years, both in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my sixteen year-old son.
      Shasta sock
      photo courtesy of the website
      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Sock Guy
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: www.sockguy.com
      MSRP: $13.95 US
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 2.25 oz (64 g)
      Colors Available: Whitney (pink and gray), Shasta (blue and purple)
      Color Reviewed: Both
      Sizes Available: s/m, l/xl
      Size Reviewed: s/m - fits US women's 6-10
      Contents: 75% IsolWOOL®, 12% Nylon, 10% Spandex, 3% Olefin
      MADE IN USA

      "Guaranteed Luv": 100% customer satisfaction guarantee for 1 year

      socks
      Initial Impressions

      I was struck first by the colors. Lovely! I received 3 pairs (2 Whitney [pink], 1 Shasta [blue]) and several SockGuy stickers. 1 pair of Whitney and 1 pair of Shasta were in cardboard holders and one pair of Whitney was not. When I held them in my hands for the first time I thought they were a little scratchy. They seem to be fairly well-made except for some missed stitching in three places on the hemmed top edge of the socks. This must be standard because it occurs on all the pairs of socks (see picture below). The second picture shows the sock inside out to show the padding. They rise almost midcalf. The hem is about 2.75 inches (70 mm). As you can see in the picture, there is no toe seam that runs along the edge of the toe. Instead there is a seam that runs along the top of my toes.

      stitchinginside sock

      The following numbers refer to the picture below from the packaging on the socks. The padding is quite substantial. The gray areas, except for the top stripes, on the Whitney are the terry padded areas that are advertised to absorb impact (4). On the Shasta the terry padded areas are purple. On the foot area of the sock the pink padded area on the Whitney and the blue on the Shasta are padded ankle support (2). There is a band with white stripes that runs completely around the middle of my foot (3) that is an arch support. The sock between the hem and the foot is fairly thin and I like that. The inside of the sock is not scratchy at all. (1) is a "non binding protective cuff." (5) is "double-stitched heel & toe."

      sock parts

      Care Instructions – Wash with like colors. Tumble dry low.

      Trying them on
      These socks are SockGuy's midweight hiker. Wow!! I really like the way they feel on my foot. They advertise on the packaging, "The most comfortable sock you'll ever wear." They are very snug, but not constricting or bulky. I like that they fit my foot snugly so they won't chafe. Sometimes socks have extra material at the toe, but these provide just enough cushion without all the bulk. The areas that are most cushy are the around the ankle, heel, sole and toe. I'm not so sure about the "non-binding hem." When I tried them on I had to squish the tops of the socks down because the hem was binding my calf.

      Summary
      I am off to camp and hike at Myrtle Beach State Park in South Carolina. I am looking forward to trying them out. I will also test the socks on longer local hikes with the Teva Dahlea hiking shoes and my more rugged Asolo hiking boots. I also sometimes do daily hikes in higher end sneakers. I plan to take a low-top hiking shoe (probably Merrell Arc Stretch) to Guatemala in June as well as my Chaco sandals. I will probably test 2 pairs of these and leave one pair as is to compare for durability and performance at the end of the testing period. I am also anxious to test for the wicking properties of these socks. The Olefin is advertised to "increase the volume and speed of moisture transfer." It is getting warm here in South Carolina. That is going to be important. I am also anxious to test the IsoWOOL® to see if it really keeps my feet cool and comfy.

      Check back in a couple of months for my field test. Thanks to Sock Guy and BackpackGearTest.org for providing the MTN-Tech Hiker for testing.