IR - Montrail Feather Peak GTX Men's Boots - Coy Boy

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2010
      I have my IR ready for editing. I see no monitor has been assigned yet so whomever gets the series, TIA!

      The HTML can be viewed here

      http://tinyurl.com/365o7f4

      or here

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR - Montrail Feather Peak boots - Coy Boy/

      and the text only is below

      Montrail Feather Peak GTX Men's Boots
      Test Report Series by Coy Starnes
      Initial Report: May 1, 2010

      pic 1 - Front View of the Montrail Feather Peak GTX

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age : 48
      Weight: 240 lb (109 kg)
      Shoe size: Mens's 12
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      E-Mail: starnescr@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama, USA

      Tester Biography
      I live in Northeast Alabama. I enjoy hunting, fishing, canoeing, and most other outdoor activities but backpacking is my favorite pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I hike throughout the year and actually hike less in the hot humid months of summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is light. However, I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability. A typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food or water.

      Initial Report: May 1, 2010

      Product Information
      Item: Men's Montrail Feather Peak GTX
      Manufacturer: Montrail
      Year of manufacture: 2010
      Listed Weight (no size specified): 1 lb 11.4 oz (0.77 kg) each
      Weight of my size 12: 2 lb 1 oz (0.94 kg) each
      Uppers: Nubuk with high-abrasion leather overlays
      Midsole: Polyurethane
      Outsole: VibramĀ® Trek
      Color: Khaki
      MSRP: $190 USD

      pic 2 - side view of the boots

      Product Description
      The Montrail Feather Peak GTX is a mid-height backpacking boot that despite having Feather in the name is also a mid-weight boot. In other words, there are lighter and heavier boots in this general configuration. The boot stands about 8 in (20 cm) tall and according to the website is a tall volume boot with a high instep, and roomy toe box. The boot is waterproof thanks to a Gore-Tex liner even thought the web-site does not list this feature. I figured this out by looking at other Montrail boots and shoes and the ones that were listed as GTX had the Gore-Tex liners. I also stood in moving water a few minutes and did not get the inside of the boots wet. These are not insulated boots and with the Gore-Tex liner they are supposed to be breathable so I hope they are good for hot weather which I anticipate during most of the testing period. The boots feature a Vibram sole called the Trek. It looks fairly aggressive to me.

      pic 3 - Vibram TreK Sole

      The laces for the boots are some type of synthetic and plenty long but the length is not listed on the website. I took one off and it measured just a fraction over 71 in (180 cm) long. Speaking of the laces, the Feather Trail has a total of 7 lace attachment points on each side of the boot. The top three attachment points are what are generally referred to as speed hooks. The bottom 4 pair feature a ball-bearing design for friction resistant lacing. Here as a picture of the ball-bearing.

      pic 4 - ball-bearing

      Initial Impression
      The Montrail Feather Peak GTX is pretty typical of boots in this class. The website has several good photos showing the boots from all angles so I found no surprises after viewing them online. I did notice one slight discrepancy in the description offered online and the boots I am holding. Namely, they say the boot has a scratch leather toe cap for toe protection but mine has a rubber toe guard, though interestingly, they list a Toe Counter of high abrasion rubber. I'm not familiar with the term Toe Counter other than in the story of the three little pigs but I think this refers to the rubber I am seeing over the toe area. But overall the boots look good and I am looking forward to wearing them.

      Fit
      Getting boots without trying them on is always a gamble, and since there is no Montrail boot dealer in my area I had to guess at the proper size. I knew that most size 12 shoes fit me pretty well and fortunately, these boots in a size 12 seem to fit very well. I can poke a finger down in between the back of the boot and my heel but they are tight enough that my feet are not sliding when walking downhill. The width seems adequate and they don't cramp the top of my foot at all. The toe box seems to live up the the roomy toe box quoted in the online description. The lining material is nice and smooth throughout the inside of the boot.

      Initial Use
      I wanted to at least wear the boots one time before writing my first report so that I would have a feel for the boots and it is now obvious to me that these boots are going to require a little break-in to be truly comfortable. For my first hike I had on a pair of what I consider medium weight wool socks. The boots felt springy when walking but after a half mile or so I noticed the top of the boot was uncomfortable against my ankles, especially when headed downhill. The back of the boot is cut lower than the sides but it was digging into the back of my leg at the very top of the boot. I considered loosening up the top laces a little but decided that I could stand it and hopefully by keeping them laced up properly I will speed up the break-in period. I also noticed some pressure on the sides of my ankles when walking on parts of the trail that were leaning downhill. In other words, places where the trail was not level side to side. One positive was that the bottoms of my feet were fine during the entire hike. Even on the very steep section my feet stayed solidly planted inside the boots and I felt no hot spots which sliding around will cause. I also noticed that the boots have good traction. The trail was damp but not muddy except in a few places and the boots stayed put when planted. I also stopped at the creek a few minutes and actually stood in the water a couple of minutes to see if they were truly waterproof. They were!

      pic 5 - standing in fast moving water

      I ended up hiking about 4 miles (6 km) total and did not develop any blisters but I was glad to pull them off due to the constant pressure at the tops. I hope the stiffness I was noticing at the top of the boots goes away fast but I have dealt with the same thing breaking in other boots. It could even be that since I usually wear trail runners in the summer and high top boots in the winter that I am not toughened up in the area needed for this height boot.

      Thing I like so far
      waterproof
      not to heavy
      good traction

      Things I don't like
      will need some break-in

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in approximately two months for my Field Report to see how the Montrail Feather Peak GTX are doing. I would also like to thank BackpackGearTest and Montrail for letting me test these boots.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2010
        > I have my IR ready for editing. I see no monitor has been assigned
        > yet so whomever gets the series, TIA!
        >
        > The HTML can be viewed here
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/365o7f4
        >
        > or here
        >
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR - Montrail
        > Feather Peak boots - Coy Boy/

        Hi Coy Boy!

        Pretty clean report. Just a few things for you to look at and then you
        are good to go. Please don't forget to delete the copy in the test
        folder.

        Thanks for the great report.

        James E. Triplett
        Montrail Feather Peak GTX Monitor

        ++++++++++++++++++++

        Tester Coy Starnes
        Gender Male
        Age 48
        Weight 240 lb (109 kg)
        [Comment] In your Product Information section you have a colon after each
        item, but in this table you don't. I'd pick one style or the other, so
        long as you are consistant.

        Shoe size Mens's 12
        [EDIT] Too many "s's" in Mens's

        I did notice one slight discrepancy in the description offered online and
        the boots I am holding.
        [EDIT] I believe there is an extra space between "in" and "the".

        The toe box seems to live up the the roomy toe box quoted in the online
        description.
        [EDIT] Fix "the the roomy".

        Thing I like so far
        * waterproof
        * not to heavy
        [EDIT] "to" should be "too"

      • Coy Boy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2010
          Hi Jet, thanks for the edit! All taken on board. I just plum forgot to delete the : in the product info part. BTW, I/we need a folder for the Montrail Feather Trails (I'm seeing other Montrail boots but not these listed). Can you do this or do I need to send a note to the list for TV? I seem to recall you adding folders at one time?

          Coy Boy
          PS I looked up Toe Counter and found a couple of online references but several pages in on a Google search. here was the most telling but I'm still not sure what a Toe Counter is...anyone care to enlighten me.

          http://www.nautilusfootwear.com/features.htm (item 7 listed but from the diagram it looks like part of the sole)