IR - Black Diamond Gizmo Headlamp - Mike Wilkie

  • Mike Wilkie
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25 8:53 PM
      IR - Black Diamond Gizmo Headlamp

      Mike Wilkie
      4/25/2010

      Here is my IR for the Gizmo Headlamp.  The text is posted here and the html version can be found in the test folder via the link below.  Thank you for your edits.

      http://tinyurl.com/366d6ty

      Best Regards,
      Mike Wilkie

      BLACK DIAMOND GIZMO HEADLAMP
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE WILKIE
      IR
      April 25, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Wilkie
      EMAIL: foreverwild76 at yahoo dot com
      AGE: 33
      LOCATION: Davenport, New York (USA)
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      Hiking for me started at an early age, as I was always an avid camper and as a Scout my backpacking obsession began. Now living in the Catskill Region backpacking has become serious for me over the years. I hike, snowshoe, canoe, snowboard or multi-day backpack through the Catskills or Adirondacks almost every weekend. I use and practice safe lightweight techniques and have greatly reduced my pack weight, adding both comfort and miles to my adventures. As an aspirant of the Catskill-3500 Club and Adirondack-46ers, peak-bagging is my main outdoor activity. My long-term goals are to complete long distance thru-hikes.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Black Diamond Equipment Ltd
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com">>
      MSRP: US$19.95
      MANUFACTURER DETAILS
      LED Type: SinglePower
      Lumens: 24
      Max Distances: 82 ft (25 m)
      Max Burn Time: 100 hours at 4 lumens
      Minimum Burn-time: 20 hours at 24 lumens
      Batteries: 2 AAA (included)
      Weight Without Batteries: 1.2 oz (34 g)
      Weight With Batteries: 2.05 oz (58 g)
      IPX Rating: 4

      TESTER'S MEASURED DETAILS
      Color: Lava
      Weight Without Batteries: 1.2 oz (34 g)
      Weight With Batteries: 2.08 oz (59 g)
      Size: Width 2.25 in (5.72 cm)/Hieght 1 in (2.54 cm)/Depth 1.25 in (3.17 cm)
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Image courtesy of blackdiamondequipment.com">>

      ABOUT THE PRODUCT

      Gizmo, this is such a fitting name for this little lamp.  Small enough so it comes in a package no larger than what a wristwatch would come in.  The headlamp fits right in the palm of my hand.
      The Gizmo is a lightweight headlamp with three SinglePower LEDs, which emits a max 24 lumens.  At 24 lumens, Gizmo offers 20 hours of burn-time and throws light up to 82 ft (25 m).
      For a more lasting battery life, the headlamp can be dimmed to a minimum of four lumens, increasing the burn-time or battery life up to 100 hours.  At this lowest setting light can reach only 16.4 ft (5 m).
      To operate the Gizmo Headlamp, an easy on/off button operates all of the functions offered.  Press the button once for on, again for off and a quick third for the strobe function.  To adjust the light illumination, press and hold the on/off button from the on mode.  The light will initially dim down to the minimum and then back up the maximum lumens.  The dimmer must be brought down to the lowest setting first before in order to increase the lamp to a brighter setting.  According to the details on the package, the lamp will automatically turn off after four hours.
      The color I received is their lava color, which is mostly red and has black detail.  The strap has a various sized dot design of different shades of reds and oranges.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Learning how to operate the headlamp was a cinch, even without the instruction manual.  However, the manual is does clearly explain how to use the light and how to install the batteries.  Two AAA Energizer Batteries were included in the package.  Later when these batteries die I will replace them with lithium ones for their lighter weight.

      SUMMARY

      The Gizmo Headlamp is small enough to fit in my palm and adds little weight to my pack.  I greatly appreciate the lightweight as I am always looking to drop a few ounces (g) from my pack.  The bright output of this little lamp was impressive as well as the distance the light travels in the maximum setting.
      Having the dimmer feature is another positive for me.  I do feel this will be helpful with saving battery life.  The strobe feature may come in handy some day, but at this time, I find it of no use.
      Easy to operate, lightweight, good light output and adjusts to my head size with ease are my positive assessments found of the Gizmo Headlamp thus far.  I am looking forward to evaluating the Gizmo in the field on my overnight backpacks, night hikes and while base camping.

      PROS

      Lightweight
      Dimming capabilities
      Bright illumination and light distance at the highest setting

      Cons

      None at this time

      Additional information will be available in two months time from this report date.

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.

    • ernie.elkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 6:45 PM
        Mike:

        Nice report -- both thorough and concise. I have few minor edits for you. Once they're complete, you're free to upload your report.

        Thanks,

        Ernie

        * * *

        <snip>Size: Width 2.25 in (5.72 cm)/Hieght 1 in (2.54 cm)/Depth 1.25 in (3.17 cm)
        <EDIT>Please replace "Hieght" with "Height."

        <snip>However, the manual is does clearly explain how to use the light and how to install the batteries.
        <EDIT>Please delete "is."

        <snip>I greatly appreciate the lightweight as I am always looking to drop a few ounces (g) from my pack.
        <EDIT>Please replace "lightweight" with "light weight."
      • Mike Wilkie
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2010
          All taken care of Ernie.  Thank you for your edits.

          Best Regards,
          Mike Wilkie