APPLICATION - Five Ten Exum Boots - Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010
      Application – Five Ten Exum Boots – Brian Hartman
      Please accept my application to test the Five Ten Exum Boots.  I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, including Chapters 4, 5 and 6, and I will follow all requirements.  I have also completed the tester agreement and submitted it as required.  I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements for this test.
      Tester Bio
      Name:  Brian Hartman
      Age: 42
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9" (1.7 Meters)
      Weight: 145 Pounds (66 Kilograms)
      Email address: bhart1426 at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Noblesville, Indiana, U.S.
      Date: March 28, 2010
      Backpacking Background:  I started backpacking as a teenager in Boy Scouts.  I enjoy hiking on-trail with family and friends but my favorite pastime is blazing paths through heavily wooded forests.  I typically go on several weekend trips per month, and at least one or two week long trips per year.  I am moving towards lighter weight gear but still have a ways to go.  I take a tent and sleeping pad on most of my outings along with a stove for cooking.  My current focus is on lighter weight clothing which should reduce my overall pack weight.
      Test Plan: I have several multi-day backpacking trips planned for this summer.  I will be in Northern Ohio in May and then again in mid June.  In July I will be traveling to Brown County State Park for a 3 day hiking trip.  I will be going on several additional hiking trips to Southern Indiana throughout the summer.  My test plan is to evaluate these boots based on their fit, comfort, durability and traction.  Since I do a lot of off-trail hiking over steep terrain, I have some special requirements for these boots.  They need to fit very well otherwise my feet can slip forward and hit the front toe box.  They also need to provide enough foot and ankle support for long hikes with a heavy pack.  The toes of my boots tend to take a lot of abuse due to the areas I hike so I want to evaluate how the toe rand on these boots holds up over time.  I also want to see if these boots provide adequate traction for off-trail hiking in muddy conditions as
      well as for climbing and descending steep hills.
      I am very excited at the opportunity to test the Five Ten Exum Boots.  Thank you for considering my application and thanks to Five Ten for providing this item for testing.
      Applications pending: None
      Tests in progress: 3
      1.     Jansport Klamath – long term testing
      2.     Eureka sleeping bag – long term testing
      3.   Tilley hat - awaiting arrival
      Previous reports: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/crazycamper
      Status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1849.htm%c2%a0
      All of my reports and uploads have been submitted on time.
      Thank you,
      Brian Hartman