LTR - Essential Gear Lighter - Roger Ault

  • Roger Ault
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
      Here is my LTR for the lighter.

      I got home last night and found my 14 year old dog dead so I'm not thinking very straight.

      Just let me know what to fix.

      http://tinyurl.com/ykhhuyh

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I went for a hike on January 30, 2010 that was about 15 mi (24 KM) total. The temperature stayed below freezing and got to a low of 12 F (-11 C).

      I went on a short overnight hike on February 27, 2010. I walked about 6 mi (10 km). The temperature was near 55 F (13 C) that evening and got down to freezing overnight. There was very little wind and I was at approximately 700 ft (200 m) elevation. The ground was a little sloppy on the way there and was slightly crusty with ice by the return trip.

      I went for a walk in the rain on March 13, 2010. I don't have any idea of actual distance but I walked for about 3 hours in light rain with the temperature near 45 F (7 C). I wore the Outbound boots with gaiters through mostly wooded and slightly hilly terrain at 700 - 800 ft (200 - 240 m) elevation.

      I went walking after work on March 30, 2010. I went approximately 6 mi (10 km) before setting up camp for the night. (12 mi (20km) total) It was about 60 F (16 C) and fairly calm.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I have used the Trekker for all of my firestarting needs during the test period. I have used it in wind and rain as well as fair weather. The lighter has performed flawlessly so far. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to produce a flame but this is no big deal. The flame is very hard to see so I probably try again sometimes even though it is lit.

      I filled the lighter with fuel upon arrival and I have only refilled it once. It never actually ran out of fuel. I decided to refill it after lots of use trying it out and there fore using excessive amounts of fuel due to repeated lighting of the flame.

      SUMMARY

      The Trekker has performed quite well in all conditions for me. I thought the size would be somewhat cumbersome, but it has not proven to be so. It always produces a very hot flame within one or two pushes of the Peizo ignition button.

      CONTINUED USE

      I plan to carry this lighter a great deal. I will definitely take it whenever I feel that I may encounter wet weather.

      I would like to thank Essential Gear for providing this lighter to test. Also thanks to Backpackgeartest.org for providing the ooportunity.
    • Kathy Waters
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
        So, sorry about your dog. Lost my 15 year old dog just this time last year and I still miss him dreadfully.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2010
          Sorry about your dog! This was a little late so I apologize for that as well- but I have zero edits for you. It all looks fine, thanks for your reports.

          `heather

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2010
            Thank you I did find one edit "opportunity" was misspelled. Corrected and done