TEST CALL: A-Vail yourself of this Experience!

  • Hollis Easter
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
      BackpackGearTest.org and Vail Ski Resort are pleased to announce a new
      collaboration and a new section of reviews on the BGT site. At the Outdoor
      Retailer Winter Show, we met with a number of destination resorts to
      discuss some of their ideas. With the economy beginning to rebound,
      resorts all around the country are working overtime to attract visitors.

      We met with Alex Blank, a representative of the National Association of
      Hospitality Experts, along with marketing directors of several NAHE member
      resorts. They'd like to work with us to take our proven expertise with
      honest, fact-based peer reviews and bring it to bear on what they're
      calling "Destination Experiences": visits whose memories should last a
      lifetime.

      The Vail Destination Experience is not yet listed on their website
      (http://www.vail.com/), but we can tell you a little bit about it. Three
      lucky testers will spend seven days at Vail's Mountainside Dachas, a set
      of small but comfortable cottages near the eastern reaches of the
      mountain. Depending on their interest, skill, and temperature conditions,
      they'll get to spend their days skiing, snowboarding, backpacking, hiking,
      mountain biking, or tubing, with two "spa days" in the middle. Because
      NAHE is pumping a lot of money into this project, the reporting
      requirements will be heavy: one report per day, rather than the
      traditional IR/FR/LTR format. So if you plan to apply, be ready to write.

      We're really excited about this--it represents a huge growth market for
      BGT's reviews, and stands as a testament to the high quality of writing
      and testing here at BackpackGearTest. If we do a great job with this test,
      Alex and NAHE have told us that more tests will follow. So let's see lots
      of applications!

      TEST CALL DETAILS:

      - Newbie Limit DOES Apply
      - US Shipping (air travel) Included
      - Test Call will close midnight, EDT Thursday April 1st
      - Please indicate preferred dates for the Vail Experience
      - TV is the Moderator for this test
      - please include Vail Experience in the subject line of your application

      Best, Hollis
    • redbike64
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
        You're a very, very naughty person :-P

        Cheers,

        The Bishop of Bodega Bay

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Hollis Easter" <easter@...> wrote:

        > BackpackGearTest.org and Vail Ski Resort are pleased to announce a new
        > collaboration and a new section of reviews on the BGT site. At the Outdoor
        > Retailer Winter Show, we met with a number of destination resorts to
        > discuss some of their ideas. With the economy beginning to rebound,
        > resorts all around the country are working overtime to attract visitors.
        >
        > We met with Alex Blank, a representative of the National Association of
        > Hospitality Experts, along with marketing directors of several NAHE member
        > resorts. They'd like to work with us to take our proven expertise with
        > honest, fact-based peer reviews and bring it to bear on what they're
        > calling "Destination Experiences": visits whose memories should last a
        > lifetime.
        >
        > The Vail Destination Experience is not yet listed on their website
        > (http://www.vail.com/), but we can tell you a little bit about it. Three
        > lucky testers will spend seven days at Vail's Mountainside Dachas, a set
        > of small but comfortable cottages near the eastern reaches of the
        > mountain. Depending on their interest, skill, and temperature conditions,
        > they'll get to spend their days skiing, snowboarding, backpacking, hiking,
        > mountain biking, or tubing, with two "spa days" in the middle. Because
        > NAHE is pumping a lot of money into this project, the reporting
        > requirements will be heavy: one report per day, rather than the
        > traditional IR/FR/LTR format. So if you plan to apply, be ready to write.
        >
        > We're really excited about this--it represents a huge growth market for
        > BGT's reviews, and stands as a testament to the high quality of writing
        > and testing here at BackpackGearTest. If we do a great job with this test,
        > Alex and NAHE have told us that more tests will follow. So let's see lots
        > of applications!
        >
        > TEST CALL DETAILS:
        >
        > - Newbie Limit DOES Apply
        > - US Shipping (air travel) Included
        > - Test Call will close midnight, EDT Thursday April 1st
        > - Please indicate preferred dates for the Vail Experience
        > - TV is the Moderator for this test
        > - please include Vail Experience in the subject line of your application
        >
        > Best, Hollis

      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
          As per my understanding of the Newbie Limit, it's all up to the test
          moderators who gets this call. Because this is such a wonderful opportunity
          for BGT and everyone who might be involved, I'd like to encourage to apply,
          especially newbies. Let's make sure that all who are involved in this call
          have a large number of applications to choose from so that that BGT can show
          how interested we are in this endeavor.

          AB

          > TEST CALL DETAILS:
          >
          > - Newbie Limit DOES Apply
        • Derek Hansen
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
            What an exciting opportunity!

            Hey, what about significant others? Are the accommodations single-
            occupancy, or can I bring a friend? Or, will we be paired up with
            other BGT testers if the rooms are double-occupancy?

            The other question I have is about equipment rentals on site. Will the
            selected tester be obligated to rent gear (skis, bicycles, etc.) or
            can we bring our own? Or does the package include free rentals?

            I just want to know what to expect before I submit my app.

            Thanks BGT!

            Wooot!

            ~derek ;)

            On Apr 1, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Hollis Easter wrote:

            > - US Shipping (air travel) Included
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
              Question Hollis...

              Since the close date is posted as 4/1 and that is the same as the call date, could 4/1 be an important date to note with this call?

              Thanks,

              Mike

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Hollis Easter" <easter@...> wrote:

              > BackpackGearTest.org and Vail Ski Resort are pleased to announce a new
              > collaboration and a new section of reviews on the BGT site. At the Outdoor
              > Retailer Winter Show, we met with a number of destination resorts to
              > discuss some of their ideas. With the economy beginning to rebound,
              > resorts all around the country are working overtime to attract visitors.
              >
              > We met with Alex Blank, a representative of the National Association of
              > Hospitality Experts, along with marketing directors of several NAHE member
              > resorts. They'd like to work with us to take our proven expertise with
              > honest, fact-based peer reviews and bring it to bear on what they're
              > calling "Destination Experiences": visits whose memories should last a
              > lifetime.
              >
              > The Vail Destination Experience is not yet listed on their website
              > (http://www.vail.com/), but we can tell you a little bit about it. Three
              > lucky testers will spend seven days at Vail's Mountainside Dachas, a set
              > of small but comfortable cottages near the eastern reaches of the
              > mountain. Depending on their interest, skill, and temperature conditions,
              > they'll get to spend their days skiing, snowboarding, backpacking, hiking,
              > mountain biking, or tubing, with two "spa days" in the middle. Because
              > NAHE is pumping a lot of money into this project, the reporting
              > requirements will be heavy: one report per day, rather than the
              > traditional IR/FR/LTR format. So if you plan to apply, be ready to write.
              >
              > We're really excited about this--it represents a huge growth market for
              > BGT's reviews, and stands as a testament to the high quality of writing
              > and testing here at BackpackGearTest. If we do a great job with this test,
              > Alex and NAHE have told us that more tests will follow. So let's see lots
              > of applications!
              >
              > TEST CALL DETAILS:
              >
              > - Newbie Limit DOES Apply
              > - US Shipping (air travel) Included
              > - Test Call will close midnight, EDT Thursday April 1st
              > - Please indicate preferred dates for the Vail Experience
              > - TV is the Moderator for this test
              > - please include Vail Experience in the subject line of your application
              >
              > Best, Hollis

            • Derek Hansen
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                I think because of the potential high-demand, it should have a quick
                closing date. Very good idea. I've almost got my app ready...

                ~derek

                On Apr 1, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Michael wrote:

                > Since the close date is posted as 4/1 and that is the same as the
                > call date, could 4/1 be an important date to note with this call?
              • Mark McLauchlin
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                  You guys are funny

                  Since the close date is posted as 4/1 and that is the same as the call date,
                  could 4/1 be an important date to note with this call?

                  Thanks,

                  Mike

                  <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , "Hollis Easter"
                  <easter@...> wrote:

                  > BackpackGearTest.org and Vail Ski Resort are pleased to announce a new
                  > collaboration and a new section of reviews on the BGT site. At the Outdoor
                  > Retailer Winter Show, we met with a number of destination resorts to
                  > discuss some of their ideas. With the economy beginning to rebound,
                  > resorts all around the country are working overtime to attract visitors.
                  >
                  > We met with Alex Blank, a representative of the National Association of
                  > Hospitality Experts, along with marketing directors of several NAHE member
                  > resorts. They'd like to work with us to take our proven expertise with
                  > honest, fact-based peer reviews and bring it to bear on what they're
                  > calling "Destination Experiences": visits whose memories should last a
                  > lifetime.
                  >
                  > The Vail Destination Experience is not yet listed on their website
                  > (http://www.vail.com/), but we can tell you a little bit about it. Three
                  > lucky testers will spend seven days at Vail's Mountainside Dachas, a set
                  > of small but comfortable cottages near the eastern reaches of the
                  > mountain. Depending on their interest, skill, and temperature conditions,
                  > they'll get to spend their days skiing, snowboarding, backpacking, hiking,
                  > mountain biking, or tubing, with two "spa days" in the middle. Because
                  > NAHE is pumping a lot of money into this project, the reporting
                  > requirements will be heavy: one report per day, rather than the
                  > traditional IR/FR/LTR format. So if you plan to apply, be ready to write.
                  >
                  > We're really excited about this--it represents a huge growth market for
                  > BGT's reviews, and stands as a testament to the high quality of writing
                  > and testing here at BackpackGearTest. If we do a great job with this test,
                  > Alex and NAHE have told us that more tests will follow. So let's see lots
                  > of applications!
                  >
                  > TEST CALL DETAILS:
                  >
                  > - Newbie Limit DOES Apply
                  > - US Shipping (air travel) Included
                  > - Test Call will close midnight, EDT Thursday April 1st
                  > - Please indicate preferred dates for the Vail Experience
                  > - TV is the Moderator for this test
                  > - please include Vail Experience in the subject line of your application
                  >
                  > Best, Hollis

                • asklarry99
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                    HA--first app in. I GOT DIBS!!!!

                    Please consider my application to test the Vail Experience. I have read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Resort Guide version 0609, and I will follow all requirements. Except for the nude sunbathing.

                    Biographical Information

                    Name: Larry Kirschner
                    Age: 46
                    Gender: M
                    Height: 6'3" (2.1 m)
                    Weight: 180 lb (81 kg) of Adonis-like muscle
                    Email address: asklarry98 at hotmail dotcom
                    City, State, Country: Columbus, Ohio USA

                    Backpacking Background

                    The combination of backpacking and skiing has long been one of my primary interests, dating back to the K2 expedition of 1954. This was subsequently followed by the Teton Tumble, of 1962, the Rainier Rumble of 1967, and most recently, the Everest Expedition of 1991. I am an ultralight ski-packer, although I have found that including extra self-inflating pads in my pack (as well as under my ski pants) tends to make the ride more comfortable, depending on the body part most in contact with the slope at the time.

                    Test plan

                    If selected for this test, I will scour my parents' attic for my old skis, which are only 25-30 yrs old. I will also roust the mice from my old ski boots before I lace `em up and strap them on.

                    After that, my plan is to spend extensive time testing out a variety of the features of the Vail experience. The issues that I am most worried about include the quality of the stretchers. I want to make sure that they can get me down the mountain without any (further) damage. Next, I will conduct a careful inspection of emergency orthopedic services, culminating in a sampling of available pain medications. I want to make sure than any medications administered are as effective as the ones I normally use at home.

                    Once this part of the test is completed, I will request an extension of the test to allow healing, after which I will return to the slopes to check out the snowboard rental facilities. After that…well, see previous paragraph.

                    Previously Written Reports can be found at
                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Igotz/lotsofbadideas

                    CURRENT TESTS

                    Fight My Lyre Spork Poles
                    Outdoor Red's Ultralight SunHelmet
                    CoyoteBalm 100% Organic bandages and socks

                    OTHER STUFF

                    I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitstaff.

                    Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Vail for uh...semi-providing this testing opportunity

                    -larry kirschner
                  • Hollis Easter
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                      There's been a great deal of interest in this test call, and since there
                      are only a few hours remaining, I'd like to clear up a few questions.

                      Gear: Part of the Vail Experience is the sense of being well cared-for. As
                      such, they want our testers to feel "right at home", which includes having
                      access to the appropriate high-quality gear without needing to pay money
                      for it. Basically everything is included, except alcohol if you're under
                      21. If they offer you an activity, they offer you the gear to do it right.

                      Newbies: Absolutely. Newbies are welcome to apply, even if they're already
                      involved in other BGT tests. They're just slightly less likely to be
                      chosen.

                      Sharing rooms: The Vail Experience isn't about cramming together in some
                      rustic hovel and huddling for warmth next to some ancient pot-bellied
                      stove. They want you to imagine a personal six-man tent carried by
                      Sherpas, not a tarp strung up between a pair of sap-covered jack pines.
                      Each BGT tester will have a Mountainside Dacha to him/herself.

                      Significant others/families: In the words of Southwest Airlines, "Grab
                      your bag--it's on". The Vail Experience is not about charging you for
                      every guest and every Perrier snatched from the minibar--it's about
                      enjoying the outdoors in the finest comfort. Friends and family will be
                      welcomed in exactly the same way as those BGT testers who are chosen for
                      the test.

                      Short time frame: Yep, it's a short test call. There's still plenty of
                      snow on the slopes, but spring is on the way, and once the corn harvest is
                      over there are a few weeks of mud before it's full-on mountain-biking
                      season. We'd like to try to get the test--and you--out the door before
                      that happens, so our testers will have more conditions to write about.

                      Although we're working to get more tests like this, I think it's worth
                      pointing out that this kind of amazing opportunity comes only
                      rarely--sometimes only once a year, or even less often. If we get a lot of
                      apps, we'll be able to spin that to NAHE and parlay our way into more
                      Destination Experiences, with all that that entails. But if we don't make
                      a good showing, they'll be disinclined to acquiesce to our request.

                      So, if you're looking for the opportune moment: this is it.
                      Hollis

                      > BackpackGearTest.org and Vail Ski Resort are pleased to announce a new
                      > collaboration and a new section of reviews on the BGT site. At the Outdoor
                      > Retailer Winter Show, we met with a number of destination resorts to
                      > discuss some of their ideas. With the economy beginning to rebound,
                      > resorts all around the country are working overtime to attract visitors.
                      >
                      > We met with Alex Blank, a representative of the National Association of
                      > Hospitality Experts, along with marketing directors of several NAHE member
                      > resorts. They'd like to work with us to take our proven expertise with
                      > honest, fact-based peer reviews and bring it to bear on what they're
                      > calling "Destination Experiences": visits whose memories should last a
                      > lifetime.
                      >
                      > The Vail Destination Experience is not yet listed on their website
                      > (http://www.vail.com/), but we can tell you a little bit about it. Three
                      > lucky testers will spend seven days at Vail's Mountainside Dachas, a set
                      > of small but comfortable cottages near the eastern reaches of the
                      > mountain. Depending on their interest, skill, and temperature conditions,
                      > they'll get to spend their days skiing, snowboarding, backpacking, hiking,
                      > mountain biking, or tubing, with two "spa days" in the middle. Because
                      > NAHE is pumping a lot of money into this project, the reporting
                      > requirements will be heavy: one report per day, rather than the
                      > traditional IR/FR/LTR format. So if you plan to apply, be ready to write.
                      >
                      > We're really excited about this--it represents a huge growth market for
                      > BGT's reviews, and stands as a testament to the high quality of writing
                      > and testing here at BackpackGearTest. If we do a great job with this test,
                      > Alex and NAHE have told us that more tests will follow. So let's see lots
                      > of applications!
                      >
                      > TEST CALL DETAILS:
                      >
                      > - Newbie Limit DOES Apply
                      > - US Shipping (air travel) Included
                      > - Test Call will close midnight, EDT Thursday April 1st
                      > - Please indicate preferred dates for the Vail Experience
                      > - TV is the Moderator for this test
                      > - please include Vail Experience in the subject line of your application
                      >
                      > Best, Hollis

                    • richardglyon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                        Hollis,

                        I'm holding out for to things: (1) heli-skiing and (2) a call not posted on April Fool's Day.

                        Richard

                      • Brian Tannehill
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                          LOL. Dont play with our emotions like that!

                          Brian
                        • Brett Haydin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                            I’m still waiting for the Nissan XTerra Hybrid selections…

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                              I believe that was my test call...

                              I havent made selections since Nissan hasnt sent me the "product" yet. There was some kind of weird issue with their Nigerian shipping department and some prince who was killed or something, who was also related to me (who knew?). I sent a bunch of money (BGT normally buys the gear, right? I am submitting reimbursment forms for the 5 Xterras...whats the fax number?) and now I am just waiting to recieve shipment.

                              Are you still interested in the test, Brett?

                              --Will

                              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Brett Haydin" <bhaydin@...> wrote:

                              > I'm still waiting for the Nissan XTerra Hybrid selections…
                              >

                              > _____

                            • dalenmoney
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010