Application to test ULA CDT pack - Pam Wyant

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2010
      Application to test ULA CDT pack

      I have read The BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609. My tester agreement is on
      file. I agree to comply with requirements as outlined in the Bylaws.

      Date: March 31, 2010

      Name: Pamela Wyant
      Age: 52
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
      Torso Length: 18 in (46 cm)
      Hip: 42 in (107 cm)

      E-mail address: pamwyant(at)yahoo(dot)com
      Location: Western West Virginia, U.S.A.

      I enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, including backpacking, day-hiking, car camping, canoeing, and more. Most of my excursions are confined to weekends, although I try to fit in one longer backpacking trip each year, and have started section hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) accruing a little over 300 mi (483 km) so far. My style varies with the activity, but since becoming a lightweight backpacker, I have noticed I tend to pack somewhat minimally even on trips where I have more space. Still, I don't like to sacrifice warmth, comfort, safety, or convenience.

      Field Information -

      My main testing spots over the next few months will be in the eastern mountains and western hills of West Virginia, and hopefully a section of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia or North Carolina.

      Testing plan –

      The ULA CDT seems to be a good fit for my backpacking style for the warmer months of the year, which is happily when this test will be occurring. As noted in my biography, I tend to pack minimally, but I do like to make sure I pack enough to stay warm and dry, and I don't like to overcompress my insulation. At 3260 cubic inches, the pack should be about the right size for my late spring/summer/early fall kit. My pack weight for a weekend during these months generally is 20 lb (9 kg) or less, including food and water, and a longer trip might go up to 24 lb (11 kg), so I should be in the optimal weight range to test this pack without loading it beyond the manufacturer's specifications.

      I don't like an excess of organizational features on a pack, and this one seems about right – up to 5 pockets, including an external mesh one (great for wet gear or things I want to keep handy), removable water bottle pockets (I use a bladder, but usually have a bottle for camp use or sport drink), and hip belt pockets (handy if they are roomy enough). Having the hip belt pockets removable seems as if it would be useful at times.

      I will report on all the features of the pack, as well as durability, comfort, ease of packing, usability of features, and ease of storing the pack for the night (i.e. does it fit well inside a shelter or under a hammock).

      Link to all my completed reviews & reports:

      Current Tests:

      Outdoor Research Helium Jacket – FR due May 18

      Sierra Designs Euphoria Sleeping bag – IR due 1/6 (just received)

      Other apps out:

      All-ett World's Lightest Wallet
      Tarptent Sublite

      Additional BackpackGearTest activities:

      Although I have not submitted any owner reviews within the last year, I have completed a number of test series, including several on items I had not considered applying for, but did so after a request for more applications went out.

      I have a good track record for handling multiple tests while submitting reports in a timely manner, although I did slip up in the last week and was a couple of days late uploading a report due to having missed the posted edit.

      Testing the OR Helium Jacket, SD sleeping bag, Tarptent Sublite, All-ett Wallet, & ULA CDT pack together would be no problem whatsoever, if I would happen to be selected for all 3 items I am currently applying for. I have often had 2 reports due on the same day, and once had 3 reports due the same day, yet still managed timely postings.

      I love gear that is a little different than the normal offerings found in most retail outdoor shops, and have a very fond spot for `cottage' manufacturers. I use items from many of them, including ULA's rain wrap, a quilt from Nunatak, a stove from a friend who produces them on a small scale, a Tarptent Double Rainbow, and a Hennessy Hammock. So, I am very familiar with the need not to judge these specialized items using the same criteria that might be used for mass produced gear – they are generally produced for maximum functionality at minimal weight, and should be considered with that aspect in mind, which I am well able to do.

      Thanks for considering my application!