APPLICATION - Stanley Stanley Outdoor 16oz. Vacuum Drink Bottle - Richard Lyon

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 5:12 PM
      Please consider my application for the Stanley Stanley Outdoor 16oz. Vacuum Drink Bottle. I have read and agree to the BackpackGearTest. org Survival Guide and bylaws v.0609 and have a tester agreement on file. This Test will not conflict with my other Tests.

      Richard Lyon, Male, 63, Dallas, Texas USA
      6'4" [1.91 m], 205 lb [91 kg]
      Montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com

      I've been backpacking for 45 years and regularly in the Rockies since 1986. I do at least one week-long trip every summer, and often take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at altitudes 5000 to 10000 ft (1500-3000 m). I prefer base camp backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do forced marches too. Recently I've been actively reducing my pack weight, but still sleep in a floored tent and often include my favorite camp conveniences. I spend much winter backcountry time on telemark or touring skis.

      Tests in progress: 4 (Mountain Khaki Flannel-lined OMP (LTR due March 9); Crumpler The Bumper Issue day pack (LTR due March 23); Ultimate Survival BASE Kit (LTR due mid-April); MontBell Merino Base Layers (FR stage)
      Other pending applications: None
      I have completed 20+ tests and submitted over 40 Owner Reviews, but none on a thermos. My Reports are listed at http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/tester_reviews/richardglyon
      I serve as an OR Editor, Call Manager, Mentor, and Monitor.

      I have two trips planned to Montana over the next four months and hope to add one more. These will involve backcountry skiing (weather permitting), fly fishing, and backpacking (if it's not too muddy), as well as serious house hunting. I also do day hikes at least every other weekend when at home, either here in North Texas or in the Hill Country around Kerrville.

      I really like hot drinks and soup when outdoors, even in warm weather, so I have some experience with vacuum-type containers. Where I've found most, particularly double-wall designs like the Stanley, to come up short is keeping things hot for more than a couple of hours, so that will be my principal test criterion, and in Montana there will be cold weather (below freezing at night and maybe during the day too) through April. I should also have warm enough weather here in the Southwest to test the Bottle with a cold drink. I'm also interested in whether the "drink-thru" lid compromises the claim of being leakproof, whether the small handle interferes with stuffing the Bottle into a crowded pack, and how well or badly the Bottle retains the taste or odor of its prior contents.