Application to test - Jetboil Flash With Java Kit - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 5:22 PM
      Please accept my application to test the Jetboil Flash With Java Kit. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 49
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 210 lb (92 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: March 1, 2010

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      I like caffeine in the morning. One of my latest ORs was for caffeinated Shot Bloks as a way to get my fix. I have used powdered coffee and liquid extract coffee, but have never used real ground coffee on the trail. I suppose it is time to try it! And try it I shall if I am chosen to test the Jetboil Flash With Java Kit.

      I shall assume that I am to review the Flash stove itself as well as the Java Kit. Even though I have only tested one stove for BGT I have written many ORs of others. I shall apply the same thoroughness to using and reporting on the JetBoil, a brand I have no experience with. (No smart comments now.)

      But I shall pay special attention to the Java Kit. How easy is it to use? How fast can I have hot coffee in my mug? Is it possible to drink from the pot while the press is down trapping the grounds at the bottom, thereby eliminating the need for a separate mug?How is it to clean up afterwards? How much will I be able to charge Dave for a cup?

      I am now taking at least two multi-day trips a month. Dave and I are bouncing back and forth between southern and middle California. We have an 86 mile trip planned for the beginning of August that may be in the test window depending on when it ships. Elevations to be used at will range from 2,000 to 10,000 ft and temps will be from freezing to probably around 70 F at the high end.

      IF TSA will let me take it to Minnesota I will get even more use in as I can use it with my children on two hikes in June and July, plus two or three solo over-nighters. These trips will all be by a lake of some sort.

      I now have one test in progress (the Asolo LTR just went in), the TEC jacket which will be done next month. I have no outstanding apps but I am giving some thought to how much cold weather trips I have left to maybe apply for the base layer shirt.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Editor, Test Monitor, and Mentor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written a whole lot of Owner Reviews.

      My reports and reviews can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you for your consideration of me for this test,

      Ray