Test Call Closing: Are You a Happy Woman?

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
      Folks, this test call closes tonight and I see one application?
      I might have missed up (please enlighten me), but if we cannot fill
      calls, then the gear dries up.
      The new folks seem to be stepping up in the application department, but
      the veterans need to get it in gear as well.

      Original call below

      TV

      Thomas Vickers wrote:
      > Even if you are not, maybe a little Euphoria would be good for you.
      >
      > Sierra Designs and BGT are pleased to offer the Euphoria 15 Degree
      > (Womens) Sleeping bag for testing.
      > Three qualified individuals will be selected for this test.
      >
      > Please remember the following in your succinct application:
      >
      > 1. The opening disclaimer for testing
      > 2. A Personal bio
      > 3. A brief test plan, just long enough to demonstrate you understand the
      > product and where you will be testing it
      > 4. A link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page)
      > 5. List your current test load, or a link to your test status page
      > 6. List any applications currently under consideration
      > 7. List any additional BGT roles (mentor, monitor, etc.)
      >
      > Now for the TEST CALL SPECIFICS...
      >
      > - product information available via the following link:
      > https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-44-euphoria-15-womens.aspx
      > - Newbie Limit DOES apply - U.S. shipping included
      > - Test Call closes @ 9 pm Central on March 1, 2010
      > - Please included "Sierra Designs Euphoria" in the subject line of
      > your application
      > - Thomas Vickers is the Moderator for this test

    • Jennifer Pope
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
        I wish I could apply but I have a new baby coming right in the middle of
        when this test would take place and I'm not so much up for winter camping
        with my other little one anyway. Hoping by summer I'll be ready to test a
        few items though. Or maybe little stuff for day hikes before then.

        Jen P.

        On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

        > Folks, this test call closes tonight and I see one application?
        > I might have missed up (please enlighten me), but if we cannot fill
        > calls, then the gear dries up.
        > The new folks seem to be stepping up in the application department, but
        > the veterans need to get it in gear as well.
        >
        > Original call below
        >
        > TV
        >
        > Thomas Vickers wrote:
        > > Even if you are not, maybe a little Euphoria would be good for you.
        > >
        > > Sierra Designs and BGT are pleased to offer the Euphoria 15 Degree
        > > (Womens) Sleeping bag for testing.
        > > Three qualified individuals will be selected for this test.
        > >
        > > Please remember the following in your succinct application:
        > >
        > > 1. The opening disclaimer for testing
        > > 2. A Personal bio
        > > 3. A brief test plan, just long enough to demonstrate you understand the
        > > product and where you will be testing it
        > > 4. A link to your previous tests/ORs (summary page)
        > > 5. List your current test load, or a link to your test status page
        > > 6. List any applications currently under consideration
        > > 7. List any additional BGT roles (mentor, monitor, etc.)
        > >
        > > Now for the TEST CALL SPECIFICS...
        > >
        > > - product information available via the following link:
        > > https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-44-euphoria-15-womens.aspx
        > > - Newbie Limit DOES apply - U.S. shipping included
        > > - Test Call closes @ 9 pm Central on March 1, 2010
        > > - Please included "Sierra Designs Euphoria" in the subject line of
        > > your application
        > > - Thomas Vickers is the Moderator for this test

      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
          Okay, TV, you shamed me into this ;^)

          Application to test Sierra Designs Euphoria Sleeping Bag

          I have read The BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609. My tester agreement is on
          file. I agree to comply with requirements as outlined in the Bylaws.

          Date: March 1, 2010

          Name: Pamela Wyant
          Age: 52
          Gender: Female
          Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
          Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)

          E-mail address: pamwyant(at)yahoo(dot)com
          Location: Western West Virginia, U.S.A.

          Backpacking Background:

          I enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, including backpacking, day-hiking, car camping, canoeing, and more. Most of my excursions are confined to weekends, although I try to fit in one longer backpacking trip each year, and have started section hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) accruing a little over 300 mi (483 km) so far. My style varies with the activity, but since becoming a lightweight backpacker, I have noticed I tend to pack somewhat minimally even on trips where I have more space. Still, I don't like to sacrifice warmth, comfort, safety, or convenience.

          Field Information -

          My main testing spots over the next few months will be in the eastern mountains and western hills of West Virginia, and possibly in the Mount Rogers area of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia, where I am planning a weeklong trip. I also will be doing some Girl Scout camping and likely some car camping trips with my grandkids.

          Size needed: Women's long

          Testing plan –

          First, a disclaimer. I REALLY prefer down bags, left hand zippers, and I am not crazy about women specific bags as they are generally too small in the shoulder area for me to be comfortable. However, while not "Euphoric" about it, if needed, I am willing to test this bag. The specifications in the Sierra Designs chart indicate that the long bag should be 52-60" at the shoulder girth, so expanded to its fullest it should be just large enough for me to be semi-comfortable. Worst scenario, I will end up testing it in `quilt mode' if it feels too restrictive fully zipped.

          Of primary interest to me during the test will be whether the bag is sufficiently warm (although with spring coming on, it is doubtful that I will get to test it below 20 F/-7 C), and whether it is sufficiently comfortable in sizing. The fleece lined footbox does sound intriguing. Secondary aspects I will discuss will include such things as whether the zipper snags, how well the hood snugs down, and how useful the pillow pocket is. As this test will at least run into June, I will also be observing at what temperature the bag becomes just too warm to use.

          I will spend at least the minimum number of nights testing the bag, but will not promise to take it on every trip if I really do not like the fit and warmth of the bag. In particular if I do not feel the bag promises to live up to its warmth rating I may not take it on the Mount Rogers trip, as weight and bulk may be at a premium for this trip and an under-performing bag would not be something I could live with for a week.

          Link to all my completed reviews & reports:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/pamwyant

          Current Tests:

          Teva Dalea Mid eVent shoes – IR & FR complete, LTR due 3/2

          Go Girl – IR & FR complete, LTR due 3/2

          ProBar Fruition Bars – IR complete, LTR due 3/11

          Hennessy Hammock Cat Cape – IR & FR complete, LTR due 3/23.

          Outdoor Research Helium Jacket – awaiting arriveal

          Other apps out:

          None at this time

          Additional BackpackGearTest activities:

          Editor
          Monitor
          Mentor

          In short, if you can find anyone else to test this bag, please select them for this test. If not, while I can't say I will be a "Happy Woman" to test this bag, I will `take one for the team' if needed and test it to the best of my ability.

          Pam
        • woodswoman
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010

            --- On Tue, 3/2/10, pamwyant <pamwyant@...> wrote:

            Okay, TV, you shamed me into this ;^)
            Pam,Yup, he shamed me into it too :)  It does look like a nice bag though even if it isn't one I would have selected to buy based on its type of fill, weight and temp rating. The funny thing is that it could be the ideal bag and.....some of us will soon find out!

          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
              Thanks to all who applied.
              I see applications from:

              Jenn Koles
              Gail Staisil
              Kathy Waters
              Pam Wyant

              If I missed your app, let me know NOW

              Selections pending.

              Tvickers
            • pamwyant
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
                Great attitude Gail, and you are right. Some of the stuff I really would not have selected to test has turned out to be my favorite stuff. And some of it was stuff that wasn't really geared toward backpacking, such as the DeFeet Arm Warmers and the Warmfront Chest Warmer that was more of a bike riding item.

                Pam